Polo 1.5 TDI Clicking / Rattling Noise

Thread Starter #1
I have a 2014 1.5 TDI VW Polo, run only 1200 kms and whenever Car is in neutral or any gear and I keep my foot on the clutch it makes a loud clicking/rattling noise, Do you have any suggestions on what it might be please..[confused][confused][frustration]

I have a 2014 1.5 TDI VW Polo, run only 1200 kms and whenever Car is in neutral or any gear and I keep my foot on the clutch it makes a loud clicking/rattling noise, Do you have any suggestions on what it might be please..[confused][confused][frustration]
You have to be more specific here, need more details.

1. You are saying that if you keep foot on clutch in any gear it will make noise. What you mean by 'keep foot' here? Did you mean depress the clutch pedal? Again, you are not supposed to even rest your foot slightly on the clutch pedal when a car is running which I think you already know.

2. When does the rattling noise occur? Specify correct action in terms of clutch pedal position.

3. Will the noise go away when depressing the clutch pedal or will it increase?

4. Does any of the gear slips?

Thread Starter #7
You have to be more specific here, need more details.

1. You are saying that if you keep foot on clutch in any gear it will make noise. What you mean by 'keep foot' here? Did you mean depress the clutch pedal? Again, you are not supposed to even rest your foot slightly on the clutch pedal when a car is running which I think you already know.

2. When does the rattling noise occur? Specify correct action in terms of clutch pedal position.

3. Will the noise go away when depressing the clutch pedal or will it increase?

4. Does any of the gear slips?
Sorry my dear friend, hope the below statements clear them all

1) By saying 'keep foot' i meant to say when clutch pedal down. Pressing clutch pedal in any gear:- supposed to press the clutch pedal down when gear shift is needed [;)] .
2),3) The sound comes as soon as the clutch gets disengaged(pedal pressed down) and sound goes as the clutch get engaged(pedal released). There is no variation in the sound level with the change of position when clutch pedal is pressed down.
4) No gear slips

Another observation is this sound is that absent when in engine is cool.Anyway I have dropped the car to VW service for a check.

what can I demand from the VW if it is found to be a manufacturing defect / Defective part? repair or replacing the whole unit?

Last edited by a moderator:

what can I demand from the VW if it is found to be a manufacturing defect / Defective part? repair or replacing the whole unit?
It sounds like the throw out bearing is bad in your car. Since this is a new car, chances of pressure plate or fly wheel failing is very unlikely and can rule those out.

Audi/VW had problems with their throwout bearings lately where the o-ring used in it was not sufficient enough for the oil pressure flowing in it, causing leak past the ring. This oil will then get on to the flywheel and pressure plate causing the noise/vibration. VW had revised this to a new aluminium throw out bearing in newer vehicles, but who knows which bearing your car has came with from the factory.

Anyway, you have dropped the car at the dealer which is what you can do as of now. If this turns out to be a throw out bearing failure, then it is a case of defective part manufactured by a different company, not by VW. LUK makes most of the drive train parts for VW. You can ask the dealer for the old part if anything is getting replaced unless there is no core charge and this way we can find out what went wrong exactly rather than just taking words from the mechanic.

Thread Starter #9
It sounds like the throw out bearing is bad in your car. Since this is a new car, chances of pressure plate or fly wheel failing is very unlikely and can rule those out.

Audi/VW had problems with their throwout bearings lately where the o-ring used in it was not sufficient enough for the oil pressure flowing in it, causing leak past the ring. This oil will then get on to the flywheel and pressure plate causing the noise/vibration. VW had revised this to a new aluminium throw out bearing in newer vehicles, but who knows which bearing your car has came with from the factory.

Anyway, you have dropped the car at the dealer which is what you can do as of now. If this turns out to be a throw out bearing failure, then it is a case of defective part manufactured by a different company, not by VW. LUK makes most of the drive train parts for VW. You can ask the dealer for the old part if anything is getting replaced unless there is no core charge and this way we can find out what went wrong exactly rather than just taking words from the mechanic.
Thanks a lot 4Rings for your above comments, sounds like you are a techy guy and why the signature '^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.'? [:)] . Its good to see that this forum has experts like you. Thanks again.

I will keep posting the updates here

why the signature '^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.'? [:)]
Haha, I am not really a mechanic and that's why the signature tells.... [;)]

But I can still pull out an engine from a A4 and then put it back together as if nothing happened. [evil]

Anyway, hope your car gets fixed soon.

Thread Starter #11
The issue got resolved [:)]
Problem was with the clutch linkage connector (Part name told by service center), a black coloured part with a spring in the middle.

The sound came since the spring got jammed because of unknown reason. They have replaced the part, it was not necessary to touch the clutch housing or gearbox[:D].

The service Engineers and mechanics at EVM, Cheranellur, Cochin are very friendly people and moreover they are ready to listen to our complaints and able to identify the real problem, its totally different from my previous experience with Hyundai service centers( Popular & MGF) where we have to argue with them to make them understand there is a problem with the car and total careless handling of car when given for service.

Hope VW will keep the standard of service for ever [:D] .
Thanks for everyone here who poured their experience and thoughts.

Last edited:
Oh nice to hear from you that your problem has been rectified.[:D]
Even i've booked the new polo TDi HL on Aug.13th. But there is a waiting period of around 2-3 weeks except for white and silver which is readily available. How was your experience so far with the new machine...? [glasses]

The issue got resolved [:)]
Problem was with the clutch linkage connector (Part name told by service center), a black coloured part with a spring in the middle.

The sound came since the spring got jammed because of unknown reason. They have replaced the part, it was not necessary to touch the clutch housing or gearbox[:D].

Glad that your car is fixed now.

But something doesn't sound right here. If the linkage connector spring was jammed, you would have experienced difficulty in depressing the clutch. Did you notice any difference in how the clutch pedal travels down before and after fixing the clutch? I bet you didn't. There are couple of bushings and pivot washers that goes in to the spring mechanism there and I believe the culprit was just one of them.

Thread Starter #14
Oh nice to hear from you that your problem has been rectified.[:D]
Even i've booked the new polo TDi HL on Aug.13th. But there is a waiting period of around 2-3 weeks except for white and silver which is readily available. How was your experience so far with the new machine...? [glasses]
Nidhin, I'm pretty much satisfied with the car except for the problem discussed here. A solid... well built car when compared to other hatchbacks available now in India . Another option came into my mind was Fiat Punto, but deviated from the same because of the heavy turbo lag. [:)]

Last edited:
Few problems encountered in my 2 weeks ownership of my polo 1.5
1. Rattling from the left front door and somewhere from the dashboard near to meter console. But i am not able to localize it. But its present occasionally while driving through uneven roads.
2. After driving in rain, both the headlamps(only the indicator part) is getting fogged. Noticed it just 2 days back.
3. Wipers are squeaky and leaving marks while on action. Its there from day 1.
4. Fogging of the front wind shield while driving with AC on. It occurs in front of the vent for defrost beneath the windshield.
The problem was there in my i20, but SA said that it is there in all i20's :(
Is it the same case with polo also? I am really bugged up of these problems.[anger]

Anyone encountered any issues like this. Please share your experiences too. Is it there for all polos?

Top Bottom