Car's Clutch Cables

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody. I want to ask about the reliability of the clutch cable system used in todays cars. Everybody knows that todays almost cars are having cables for operating the clutch ( i might be wrong). Earlier vehicles like premier padmini and ambasador were having metal rod connected between the clutch pedal and clutch assembly. Also it is well known that we have to use clutch more frequently due to traffic and our roads conditions, which means that the cables have to work more than normal causing more wear and tear of cable. My question is that whether this clutch cable sytem is reliable or not?. Just imagine a situation what would happen if the cable breaks in between traffic. Breaking clutch cable of two wheeler is ok, we can easily take it to roadside just pushing with hands but imagine this thing about four wheeler and those people who will keep honking from behind. I am having two cars, premier padmini and indica ev2. I feel tension free while driving premier padmini beacause it is not having this clutch cable sytem [:)]but always worried while driving indica. Every now and then i am worried about what if the clutch cable breaks? i think the old system was reliable than cable system and automoblile companies should think about this.

clutch cable is very heavy as compared to the load of clutch. clutch cable rarely breaks, before breakage clutch starts to behave abnormally like free play of clutch pedal will increase to such an extent that you will feel difficult to drive the car, be tension free cables don't break they are designed to last long,very very long.[;)]
one more thing now a days latest cars are coming with hydraulic clutch systems eliminating clutch cables.

Modern cars started switching to hydraulic clutch actuators. Also the cable tyre actuation is far better and reliable than the old school linkage type with periodic inspection.

Top Bottom