Coolant Leaking Inside Santro Xing!

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

Noticed coolant leak inside my 10 year old Santro Zing. I cannot notice much drop of coolant in coolant tank. i tried to figure out the point of leak. Today planning to visit the work shop. Guys please give me some inputs if possible.

Area of leak
IMG_20140802_064941451 (719x1280).jpg

IMG_20140802_065022223.jpg

IMG_20140801_183108431.jpg

Re: Coolant leak inside the car

Leakage from coolant hose and this must be easy to fix.
Car HVAC uses engine coolant to heat the cabin.

Re: Coolant leak inside the car

Likely one of 2 Causes:
Split hose which will need to be replaced
Or
Loose clips which will need to be tightened or replaced

your heater coil has leaked, immediate first aid is to bypass the heater coil by disconnecting the heater hose any nearby mechanic will be able to do it just fifteen minutes job ( engine should not be hot)

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys. Yesterday went to the Hyundai service center (Omen hyundai Poonamalle). They said its a Heater coil problem should be replaced. His estimation 4.2k (heater coil 2k, labor - 2.2k).
While going to the service station from my home (about 3 Km) engine temperature gone abnormal and smoke kind of thing started to come from heater vent near windshield glass. With this condition dont want to drive the car to another service station or home. Hence didnt go for 2nd opinion accepted to take the Job.

Last edited:
vu2gte I have asked to bypass heater coil not radiator which you quoted as overheating, read & understand the post carefully before posting, also waht about cars which do not have heater system installed do they heat? If you are not clear then don't give vague answers to confuse.

What happens is people bypass the heater by connecting one hose to the other the coolant then circulates through this arrangement without going through the radiator hence leading to overheating.

vu2gte I have asked to bypass heater coil not radiator which you quoted as overheating, read & understand the post carefully before posting, also waht about cars which do not have heater system installed do they heat? If you are not clear then don't give vague answers to confuse.
Agree. You're right about this. Our friend is getting confused between the heater coil and radiator! The heater coil or heater matrix is for heating the interior of the car. It's an old trick to try to temporarily cool the engine by putting the heater on full blast to get rid of coolant heat if an engine is getting excessively hot but
bypassing it will at most cause the engine to only run a bit warmer (and even that's unlikely) and certainly not overheat.
Regards

I am not confused most people will bypass the heater coil by removing the hoses and connecting them together this would cause overheating.

I am not confused most people will bypass the heater coil by removing the hoses and connecting them together this would cause overheating.
How come it will overheat , people bypass heater coil in summers to enhance ac cooling, this is common practice no rocket science.

It certainly won't do that. What you're going on is anecdotal experiences. The physics behind is pretty straight forward. Bypassing will at most cause a slight Increase in engine tempts but not to the extent of overheating. To also elaborate further the diameter of the radiator pipes is significantly larger than the heater coil pipes and therefore most of the coolant will pass through the radiator and will get cooled in the normal manner.

I have actually done a fair bit of background research on this when I got rid of and bypassed the heater matrix on my Lotus. Trust me the engine does not overheat despite revving upto nearly 9500 rpms (compare this to about 6-7000 for a standard road car). I monitor both oil and water tempts using separate gauges and know exactly what engine tempts are doing and can say for sure.

Also for your information if there was some concern about tempts going up the solution is to introduce a small restrictor in the bypass pipe to force more coolant through the radiator. I don't think anyone can give you a more definitive answer to the topic being discussed[:D]

Last edited:

Top Bottom