Power Steering Failure.

Thread Starter #1
Last night after watching a movie, I went to my car (Indigo) and started it. Turned the steering wheel, only to find that it was a little hard to move and was making khrrr khrrr noise. I turned off the engine, opened the hood and checked for power steering oil. There was no oil.
I made a call to my mechanic and stated the problem to him. He asked if the brake pedal was hard too. It was not. Then, at first, he said to drive the car without power steering oil, subsequently, he directed me to go to any nearby petrol pump and get any P.S. oil they stock, and drive the car home for the time being. I could manage a Castrol oil. Put the oil up to medium level, started the car and drove off. Noise went away, and steering response was back to normal. My home was around 5 km from the multiplex. I had covered 4.5 km and again the khrrr khrrr sound came back and again the steering turned little hard. Yet I continued to drive. Around 100 meters before my home, the steering had become like a non power steering. I got out and opened the hood, all the oil had leaked and the reservoir was empty. Put some oil again and drove home.

My guess -
1. There is a big leak somewhere.
2. The belt is loose.

Anything else gurus?
P.S. - The movie I saw was Pizza :lol!:
Edit - Yesterday morning when I washed the car, oil level was to the max.

Last edited:
I turned off the engine, opened the hood and checked for power steering oil. There was no oil.
Sir, would you pl post a photo, so that I can locate the power steering oil reservoir in my car [Maruti- Ritz]

There is definitely a leak check under the hood, the weird sound is friction of bearings. Don't drive the car with this problem or else bearings would crack and you may have to replace whole assembly. Get it checked with your mechanic.

There could be a leak in the power steering oil pump. I am afraid that you may have to replace the pump if there is such leakage in the pump.

it has to be a leak, this oil cant evaporate.
Your cars are designed to be operated even without this oil in such a situation, yes steering will be very hard but it can still be driven to a service centre so as to fix the problem permanently.

Leakage is there it could be hydraulic line or otherwise it could be from steering rack.
fill oil start the car & move steering from lock to lock then check the leakage as oil will drip down locate the spot & leak.

Me too faced a similar problem recently in my 10 years old Santro . When showed to DSC Hyundai, they said this is power steering gear box oil leak issue. The only option is replacing the power steering gear box it will cost around 22k.
Then for second opinion i showed to My TVS, they also confirmed its power steering gear box oil leak problem. But they given me two options.
1. Replacing with new PS gear box (cost 20k)
2. Oil Seal changing and Servicing the same PS gear box (cost 5~6k)
They also mentioned Servicing the PS GB will not have issues in next 2~3 years. But there are some possibilities for the same problem after 2~3 years.
Considering the age of my car and present budget constraints i opted for the 2nd option. Have the service done and so far drove around 1000 KMs. No issues so far.

Power steering gearbox or power steering pump seal costs mere 200 Rs & labour along with oil will be appx 1500Rs. Replacing seal wil have no effect on PS pump & pump will work for another 2-3 years.

i am also facing p.s problem in mine vista tdi but problem is different
p.s oil level is always fine but oil didn't move when car is start some one told me that
p.s pump is not working and repair will cost me 2500/?????

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom