Is High Speed Driving OK For Tube Type Tyres?

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody. I have been using tubeless tyre since last two years and problem is that front right side tyre becomes half flat after every two three days. I checked at tyre shop and was told that rim is slight bent and that was causing air leakage. I dont know where to repair this bent rim and also the stepene tyre rim is bent. Any way i dont want to irritate myself wasting time in repairng these bents and all. So finally i have decided to replace these tubeless tyres with tube tyres (ony front two tyres). Ok now problem is that i have heard that tube tyres are not ok with high speeds especially in summer season and also on concrete roads. Is that true? [confused]. Usually i drive at 70kmph speed but some time i go for 90 and above at long drives. It is said that 80 kmph speed is ok for tubetyres under any conditions. So please some body expert tell me whether high speed is ok for tube tyres? will they burst above 80 kmph speed? (especially in summer season)

Re: Is high speed ok for tube tyres?

Running on bent rims with tube type or tubeless tires is not recommended. Why do you want to compromise with your safety by not repairing those rims. You can easily get them repaired at local workshop. It wont take much of time.
As for driving speeds for tube type tires, 90kmph is definitely safely achievable however you shouldnt try it with those bent rims.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I agree with akash, get the rims fixed. Will cost 150-200 rupees max per tyre if you get it done with a machine.

And if you buy tube , put those tyres at the rear and not in the front.

Yes getting it repaired is better or get a new set of rims.
regarding the speed , i feel any speed above 100 is not safe for our roads.

Thread Starter #6

Running on bent rims with tube type or tubeless tires is not recommended. Why do you want to compromise with your safety by not repairing those rims. You can easily get them repaired at local workshop. It wont take much of time.
As for driving speeds for tube type tires, 90kmph is definitely safely achievable however you shouldnt try it with those bent rims.
Thanks akash for your advice. But i want to say that rims are not having major bents. Both the rims were having only one bent on each. I went to roadside tyre shop and the guy there hammered the rims two three times and made it straight and it looks perfectly ok. But problem is that air gets leak very slowly and tyre remains half flat. I am really fed up with this. So next week i am buying new tube tyres. Please tell me whether is it ok to fit those tubetyres on the present rims or should i buy new rims also? Actually my question is, rims used for tubeless tyres are different from rims used for tubetyres? or rims used for tubeless and tubetyres are the same type?

BTW Which car you are using now?
Bend rims are a problem with some cars like indica,Old zen etc.
I dont think new Rim has not that money. Stock maruti Rims cost rs.600-800 i guess. So you can add some money more and buy new rims instead of tubes i think. Or you can do invest on Alloys if you are gonaa use the car for another 3-4 years.

When we are talking of air leaks through rims, it is certainly not something which is minor and worth ignoring. Either get them straightened at a professional shop or get new rims. Life is way too precious to take such risks.

How old are the rims? Anyways, get new ones straight away. I've an Indigo, and due to the weight of the car, face this problem. Best way I follow is change the rims in every 15 months.

About tube type tires and high speed -
You can very well do a speed that is within your manageable limits on any kind of roads with tube type tires.
Tires heat up much more on concrete roads. Filling nitrogen helps them run cooler. I drive at a lower speed on concrete road (Mumbai - Pune Express highway) than the other roads. Better safe than sorry.

Thread Starter #11
BTW Which car you are using now?
Bend rims are a problem with some cars like indica,Old zen etc.
I dont think new Rim has not that money. Stock maruti Rims cost rs.600-800 i guess. So you can add some money more and buy new rims instead of tubes i think. Or you can do invest on Alloys if you are gonaa use the car for another 3-4 years.
Mine is indica ev2 with 14 inch tyres.

Thread Starter #12
When we are talking of air leaks through rims, it is certainly not something which is minor and worth ignoring. Either get them straightened at a professional shop or get new rims. Life is way too precious to take such risks.
OK i will get those rims straightened but finally i have decided to replace tubeless tyres with tubetyres. Present tyres are 165/65R14. This shows how much short is the height of tyres sidewall and has more chances of hitting the rims. Thanks to our indian roads with potholes every where and raised gutter caps. I also want to ask whether the steel rims used for tubeless and tube tyre are same type or not? is there any difference between the rim used for tubeless tyre and the rim used for tube tyre?

I had seen some indicas with 155/80-13 tires. Which varient is coming with this profile tires. The tires in this profile are very VFM. My Esteem had these tubeless tires and using it in 8 year old stock rim in perfect condition. Either you would need to upgrade your tires or purchase alloy wheels for a perfect fix.

Thread Starter #15
Ok now finally i have decided to buy new steel rims and new tube tyres. But still one thing is confusing my mind. It is well known that the design of tubeless tyres is different from tubetyres and thats why i am thinking whether the steel rims used for tubeless and tubetyres are same type or not. Should i ask the shopkeeper to give rims especially for tubetyres?. I have asked this question two three times in my previous posts but nobody is helping me about this. Is there really any difference between the steel rims used for tubeless and tube tyres?:help:

Top Bottom