Getting Brakes Cleaned

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Here I would like to know about cleaning the brakes especially the drum brakes.

1) I have read somewhere that disc brakes don't need cleaning, it does have a self cleaning mechanism. Is that a true statement?

2) Now about drum brakes. Even about this I read we don't really need periodic cleaning unless we found any difficulties in braking. Again, Is that true?

I don't mind paying to MASS for the rear drum brakes getting cleaned if it is really needed, but I want to be sure that this is not a rip-off.[confused]

Most of the cars do have rear drum brakes. So I want to know whether every Authorized Service Centers other than one from MARUTI SUZUKI do also undergo this same procedure of drum brakes cleaning in each periodic services of a vehicle or not.

For example: If my memory is true, our proud member 350Z has never mentioned about the drum brakes cleaning charges in the cost involved for the periodic services of his Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6 SXi car. Whats the reason, did he forget to mention it separately or ford don't do drum brakes cleaning?(I hope this car do have rear drum brakes.)

Regards,.
Kiran.

Last edited:
Re: Getting Brakes Cleaned.

Here I would like to know about cleaning the brakes especially the drum brakes.
Get the dust cleaned and pins greased.Will not harm for sure. [;)]

1) I have read somewhere that disc brakes don't need cleaning, it does have a self cleaning mechanism. Is that a true statement?
2) Now about drum brakes. Even about this I read we don't really need periodic cleaning unless we found any difficulties in braking. Again, Is that true?
I don't mind paying to MASS for the rear drum brakes getting cleaned if it is really needed, but I want to be sure that this is not a rip-off.[confused]
I got it done from my local mech.Brakes were not effective so thought of getting it cleaned,opened it and found one of the cylinder was damaged,replaced it and costed me around 450rs.[:)]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team

For example: If my memory is true, our proud member 350Z has never mentioned about the drum brakes cleaning charges in the cost involved for the periodic services of his Ford Fiesta Classic 1.6 SXi car. Whats the reason, did he forget to mention it separately or ford don't do drum brakes cleaning?(I hope this car do have rear drum brakes.)
Kiran, my car's drum brakes were cleaned in the previous service but its charges were included in the labor cost and not as a separate item on the bill.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4

So drum brakes cleaning in each periodic services are really not a rip off? I didn't get answer for that[confused]

I did get the brake drums cleaned and pads regularly cleaned (not a big job, just required opening up during servicing) during alternate service due to the rough terrain. I remember the problem of brakes making a faint noise which was rectified by a a clean up.
So you may get it done once in a while. As mentioned by Vibhor, since it is a small job, theres no extra service charge added to your bill for that.

So drum brakes cleaning in each periodic services are really not a rip off? I didn't get answer for that[confused]
I dont think it needs cleaning every service, unless you are having some issues with brakes.mine was around 50k old and untouched.[lol]

Thread Starter #7

So you may get it done once in a while. As mentioned by Vibhor, since it is a small job, theres no extra service charge added to your bill for that.
Only during my '5000kms free service' they did drum brakes cleaning for free.(thats what confusing me). Rest all of the drum brake cleaning charges was not negotiable.

*During 10k periodic service, charged Rs.360 for cleaning and Rs.163 for caliper pin greasing.
*During 20k periodic service, charged Rs.300 for cleaning and Rs.159 for caliper pin greasing.
*During 30k did Brakes Overhaul (Complete) for Rs.580 and Rs.240 for caliper pin greasing.

Here these price are not included in "paid service labour charge" and also cost of grease is extra.
No where I felt my brakes are ineffective under normal speeds. But still when they ask me to do any works for brakes I just nod my head. Are they exploiting me[confused]

@Aneesh, thanks for the information [:)]

@Kichu you are bang on the target. The MASS guys take a periodic service fee and they charge for break cleaning as well as for caliper greasing . I always suspected if they do this . What is the 5000 Kms Service charge we are giving for ? Just washing?
They only put the vehicle on lift and check the bolts connected to the breaks .Finished.
This is rip off!

Usually disc brakes don't require cleaning, since the combination of centrifugal force and friction with the pads is enough to remove dirt. In some rare cases (eg. Driving through road works) your discs may get coated in a film of grease, which can easily be felt with a finger. This grease can be removed easily with brake cleaner fluid.

I would like to say that my X-Trail was 5 years old with nearly 50k miles on the clock in extremely harsh conditions, never needed brake cleaning even once. It had disc brakes all around.

Drum brakes are more susceptible to dirt and grime, so it can't harm to clean the inside of the drum and the shoe itself with brake cleaner periodically. Just make sure you squeeze the fluid out with the brake pedal before going on the highway!

Only during my '5000kms free service' they did drum brakes cleaning for free.(thats what confusing me). Rest all of the drum brake cleaning charges was not negotiable.

*During 10k periodic service, charged Rs.360 for cleaning and Rs.163 for caliper pin greasing.
*During 20k periodic service, charged Rs.300 for cleaning and Rs.159 for caliper pin greasing.
*During 30k did Brakes Overhaul (Complete) for Rs.580 and Rs.240 for caliper pin greasing.

Here these price are not included in "paid service labour charge" and also cost of grease is extra.
No where I felt my brakes are ineffective under normal speeds. But still when they ask me to do any works for brakes I just nod my head. Are they exploiting me[confused]

@Aneesh, thanks for the information [:)]
Honestly, I dont remember ever paying for the brake cleaning since it was always an add on job which I used to tell the service adviser while the car was being serviced and not during job car preparation. BTW what was done in the Brake overhaul?

greasing of caliper pins are good as it keeps disc brakes movement free otherwise without grease caliper pins makes noise & movement becomes hard, for rear brakes it is good to clean & adjust them from time to time because dust deposit from brakes remains inside drums making self adjusting mechanism of rear brakes hard for adjusting , so cleaning & adjusting them is a good thought.

Top Bottom