Baleno Power Steering Oil Leak

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I own a 2004 model Baleno which ran in top condition all this while and still is in.

But recently a problem of some sort of oil leak was seen from the engine compartment.

When diagnosed the Maruti mechanics said it is the power steering oil leakage and the complete pump kit need to be replaced. I need to shell out approx 40K to do this.[frustration]

Any body has experienced this issue? or any other fixes for it. Can a local mechanic find some alternative?

The leakage is very very less, that the oil level decreases only over a period of 3 months. So I am planning to keep topping it up as it drains, which would still be far less than the actual price for the replacement.

Any comments.

Can you post some snaps? Where does it exactly leak from?

Topping-up and continue running may result in complete pump failure depending on the current situation.

Thread Starter #3
I could not clearly locate the spot of leakage. It is basically the entire area is slightly wet with oil. may be I have to take it to a mechanic who must be patient enough to diagnose and figure out in depth. The MSS guys just dont have time, they just know to say "It need to be replaced". They dont even have the patience to clearly see what is happening. May be there could be a fix. I dont know.

I am planning to take it to a mechanic. Spending 40K on a 10 year old car without understanding what exactly is the problem does not make sense.

There is no need to replace the entire set. I guess it can be repaired. I suspect the leak must be from the connectors/clamps which bind the pipes. Which part of Bangalore do you stay ?

Thread Starter #5
There is no need to replace the entire set. I guess it can be repaired. I suspect the leak must be from the connectors/clamps which bind the pipes. Which part of Bangalore do you stay ?
Hi, Thanks for the positive comment. I too hope that way.

I stay at Mahadevpura, Near KR Puram Outer Ring Road.

I could not clearly locate the spot of leakage. It is basically the entire area is slightly wet with oil. may be I have to take it to a mechanic who must be patient enough to diagnose and figure out in depth. The MSS guys just dont have time, they just know to say "It need to be replaced". They dont even have the patience to clearly see what is happening. May be there could be a fix. I dont know.

I am planning to take it to a mechanic. Spending 40K on a 10 year old car without understanding what exactly is the problem does not make sense.
Try any rane power steering service centres at bangalore.

Are you saying about the steering rack and pinion, our indigo also have a problem after running for 90th km, ghosh brothers milked us of the same amount by replacing the set with a new one,never diagnosed the problem area for repair. please go to 2 or 3 ass before taking steps. the ass are for replacements , they don't like repair jobs because profit is in selling , not servicing.

Thread Starter #8
Are you saying about the steering rack and pinion, our indigo also have a problem after running for 90th km, ghosh brothers milked us of the same amount by replacing the set with a new one,never diagnosed the problem area for repair. please go to 2 or 3 ass before taking steps. the ass are for replacements , they don't like repair jobs because profit is in selling , not servicing.
No, it's not at the rack and pinion section. The leak is happening around the Oil Pump which is inside the bonet, beside the engine.

8 Months before I had the same problem with my esteem MASS told me to replace whole assembly with a jaw dropping estimate and while some research on internet I found some interesting stuff..I putted 2 spoons of DOT 3 brake oil into power steering oil and it has been 8 months now the level of oil is still same. But before it used to get over within 2 week. Well I exactly don't know that how it works but it swells some part in assembly which actually work as a sealant and bingo I was too happy to save my 50000.[clap]

Thats an innovative method. But hope there is no problem mixing brake oil and PS oil as both are different grade.
I think the mixing increases viscosity.

Thread Starter #11
8 Months before I had the same problem with my esteem MASS told me to replace whole assembly with a jaw dropping estimate and while some research on internet I found some interesting stuff..I putted 2 spoons of DOT 3 brake oil into power steering oil and it has been 8 months now the level of oil is still same. But before it used to get over within 2 week. Well I exactly don't know that how it works but it swells some part in assembly which actually work as a sealant and bingo I was too happy to save my 50000.[clap]
That's interesting and I did not know about that. I will try that as my last resort. Thanks for the tip.

For now, I am going to find the root cause. Let me try finding a mechanic who will carefully examine the flow and find where exactly it leaks from. Only after that I can take any call.

It's a general trend at After Sales Service to replace than repair.

No way, you should spend 40K for the new pump.

I suspect a minor leak can from hose or some loose clamp.

Take your car to reliable friendly neighbourhood garage and get the diagnose.

Seek Second opinion and if required third too.

Nowadays it is very easy to get power steering repaired, parts are also freely available you can go to any good local workshop & he will get this thing repaired easily.

Top Bottom