Honda Activa (2013) Engine Stalling

Thread Starter #1
In cold condition(i.e. in the morning) the scooter starts in one kick(manual) and the idle speed is good - the rear wheel turns slowly(not very slowly); but once the engine warms up after about a 10 minutes ride, the idle speed drops so much that at idle throttle the engine stops and to keep the engine running, at traffic stops, have to hold the throttle higher than idle position, and it even becomes very difficult to kick-start; it can only be started by starter with the throttle held higher than idle position( all this time the choke is kept on). What could be the problem and how to solve it?
What I have already tried: Increased idle screw setting(on carb) when engine was warmed up after 10 mins of ride, but this resulted in a very high cold state idle speed.

Idle screw setting wont help. It seems that the air fuel mixture is set too lean. Please ask the service centre to set the air/fuel screw at 1-3/4 turns from fully closed position. Let us know if that remedies your problem. How many km has your scooter done? When was it last serviced?

@Sam Sorry to be OT, but could you please confirm which direction of rotation makes the mixture more lean/rich? Got some conflicting information yesterday saying that for a scooty/motorbike it would be the opposite of a car.

Opposite of a car? Which car comes with a carburettor now a days?

In/Clockwise = Lean (more air, less fuel)
Out/Anticlockwise = Rich (more fuel, less air)

I never said I was talking about a modern car [;)]. I've dealt with a lot of old cars, which is what I was referring to.

Ok good, that's what I was operating on in the first place! Time to find the person who misled me [gun]

Thread Starter #6
Hi Sam Dinkar, Thanks very much for the advice-the problem was very near your guess - it was a dirty idle jet of the carb. My scoot has just done 2K km. Looking forward to your advice in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom