Mahindra XUV500: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
I have a Dec 2013 XUV W6 with 5000 Kms on ODO, as you all know it is ready for it's 1st service. Before giving it for service I would like to know from fellow cheetah owners on what to look for in the 1st service? Apart from this I think there are some issues in my ride as I am not very sure what maybe the root cause it would be great if someone can enlighten me so that the SA doesn't take me for a ride.

Issues:
1) Brake pedal has a horizontal play:
Now this is something I have never seen in other cars I have owned, brake pedal has a horizontal play and it emits a "kat kat" sound whenever I depress or release the brake pedal. Now, I want to know that is this a common issue with XUV's or it is a peculiar problem with my ride. I am worried because I saw that the pedal is held by a pin arrangement and god forbid if something is loose it could be extremely dangerous.

2) Kat kat sound while taking turns or crossing pot holes:
This sound may be due to suspension but let me explain the scenario when I hear this sound. At low speeds while taking sharp turns such as taking a U turn or taking a round about or something resembling a chicane which involves a load transfer between left and right suspension I hear a kat sound a couple of time and then once the car gets balanced the sound goes away. The same sound comes when I take pot holes at a slow speed. Could this be due to stablization bar or it is some other issue related to suspension?

3) Faint grinding/screeching noise from front wheels in afternoon:
This sound comes only in afternoon and early evenings, as it is very hot these days in NCR I am assuming this has something to do with heat as I can't hear this noise in mornings. This is a faint screeching noise from the front wheels, I can hear this noise only when windows are open. What could be the reason for this sound?

4) Steering vibrations at high speeds:
The steering vibrates at speeds north of 110 Km/hr and once vehicle crosses 130 Km/hr it goes away. Earlier I thought that this is due to balancing issues but if it is due to balancing why vibration goes away after 130?

MODS: I couldn't find a niggle or issue thread for XUV, please feel free to move this post to a suitable thread in case a thread exists for XUV.

Issues:
1) Brake pedal has a horizontal play:
Now this is something I have never seen in other cars I have owned, brake pedal has a horizontal play and it emits a "kat kat" sound whenever I depress or release the brake pedal. Now, I want to know that is this a common issue with XUV's or it is a peculiar problem with my ride. I am worried because I saw that the pedal is held by a pin arrangement and god forbid if something is loose it could be extremely dangerous.
I have heard and seen tons of brake play/sponginess related complaints, this one is new, you need to get it checked immediately, the pedal assembly itself might have a problem. Do not delay this.

2) Kat kat sound while taking turns or crossing pot holes:
This sound may be due to suspension but let me explain the scenario when I hear this sound. At low speeds while taking sharp turns such as taking a U turn or taking a round about or something resembling a chicane which involves a load transfer between left and right suspension I hear a kat sound a couple of time and then once the car gets balanced the sound goes away. The same sound comes when I take pot holes at a slow speed. Could this be due to stablization bar or it is some other issue related to suspension?
This is the famous George Bush problem - I am aware newer bushes help take the life up to 10k kms (depends on what roads you drive) - newer XUV comes with a better design and i am told this problem doesnt exist anymore.

3) Faint grinding/screeching noise from front wheels in afternoon:
This sound comes only in afternoon and early evenings, as it is very hot these days in NCR I am assuming this has something to do with heat as I can't hear this noise in mornings. This is a faint screeching noise from the front wheels, I can hear this noise only when windows are open. What could be the reason for this sound?
The brake pad might be rubbing the disc, check their alignment, make sure you havent activated hill descent, also check wheel bearings.

4) Steering vibrations at high speeds:
The steering vibrates at speeds north of 110 Km/hr and once vehicle crosses 130 Km/hr it goes away. Earlier I thought that this is due to balancing issues but if it is due to balancing why vibration goes away after 130?
Get the Wheel alignment done at a independent center, and then check out on good tar road (not concrete expressways)

Mahindra XUV500 clutch issue

Are there common problems with the clutch?
What is the life span as my XUV only did 40000km. It is a 2012 model.
The problem I have is that the clutch engage on the last when releasing and that when in 6 gear you can just touch the pedal and the clutch start to slip.
I also smell the clutch burning after I stop in the garage.
The dealer said that I must pay for a new one.
When does the warranty kick in for this?
Thakn you

Mahindra XUV500 clutch issue

if car is in warranty you can replace new one.
else buy it. its a serious issue may lead to clutch failure in middle of road.
you can also switch to aftermarket clutch for better performance instead of new stock type

Thread Starter #5
I have heard and seen tons of brake play/sponginess related complaints, this one is new, you need to get it checked immediately, the pedal assembly itself might have a problem. Do not delay this.

This is the famous George Bush problem - I am aware newer bushes help take the life up to 10k kms (depends on what roads you drive) - newer XUV comes with a better design and i am told this problem doesnt exist anymore.

The brake pad might be rubbing the disc, check their alignment, make sure you havent activated hill descent, also check wheel bearings.

Get the Wheel alignment done at a independent center, and then check out on good tar road (not concrete expressways)
Thanks IronRock for your reply, I know I am super late in replying back anyway here it is.
1) Brake Problem: There was no issue with the brake assembly .. according to service center folks horizontal play was due to some loose fitting, he attributed this to a pin which holds the brake pedal. I know that pin should not come into factor here but he said that after changing the pin it should be ok and now I am not facing this issue.

2) Noise: This issue came out to be something loose inside the dashboard. They fixed this once but after a week I am again hearing "kat kat" noises but they are not as irritating as before but they are there for sure.

3) Rubbing noise: Again brake pad was in perfect condition but this is due to a crack in the right side ORVM. Actually this sound is coming when air cuts through right ORVM after closing the ORVM the sound goes away. Service center has agreed to change the ORVM in warranty.

4) Got wheel alignment done, steering vibration issue seems to be resolved.

Apart from this I would also like to mention here that I found the attitude of Koncept Mahindra Noida A.S.S guys not upto the mark. Due to this dashboard issue I had no option but to leave my car at the service center for a night next day when I didn't get any call from the service center I called them up only to find out that S.A is on leave and S.A informed me that he is not aware of the current situation.
After hearing this I went to the center to see the job finished but no one was willing to tell me what was the solution to the issues.
As for the ORVM they informed me that once S.A comes to office next day he will give me a call and tell me when can I expect to get the part available I waited for about 10 days but S.A. conveniently forgot about this. In between I got a call from M&M about the service feedback and when I told them about all of this service center came into action and called me next day telling me that the part has arrived and I can come anytime to get it fixed in my car. In a nutshell it seems M&M service guys need some ear pulling to get things rolling.

Playing music via Bluetooth.
Is it common that everytime the Radio unit starts that you have to press the music button to play music via bluetooth?

I have got my XUV W6 delivered on 14th November after an year long dreaming. I will write a detailed ownership review about it. But here is the highlight. Immediately after the delivery when trying to fill fuel, diesel started flowing out through the entry point as if the tank is full. But both myself and salesman was sure that it was not the case. Then from showroom, took it directly to service centre late in the evening. Initially I was told that the vehicle would be delivered the next day. But after heated some arguments I insisted for a solution on the same day. Then they removed the tank and silencer assy.
Figured out that it was a block in the breather pipe!. After after heavy flow of air, block got removed. Now it is fine. But hope you can imagine the pain of seeing a brand new car getting dismantled [cry] (Before even the pooja from temple). Anyone here faced anything similar? Service center folks said it was the first time they get a problem like that.

bhvm

Honoured Member
about my xuv thunderbolt-

just got a call from dad. the clutch is not coming
back soon (seems depressed ) and gear shifts are
hard :-(:-(
I asked him to visit the nearest service center. he's
in gujrat now. near bharuch.

my dad called the tollfree number and got a good
response. they're planning to tow the vehicle to
surat for further checking.
sad to see such thing happen with just 32k kms on
odo and totally new vehicle. problem is, dad alone
is the driving person and the passengers are senior
citizen aged 70+ and most of them women.

just thought I should post this on a public thread as it may Help someone with similar issues. mods, please remove if you feel inappropriate.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Situation Update-

Dad collected the vehicle next day at 4PM. (actually he was in a hurry as the senior citizens were exactly not pleased). He is now continuing his pilgrimage which is 2.5~3K Kms. He will roam around Ahmedabad, Anand, Vadodra and small villages around these. Clutch feel is the same as eariler.

The clutch slave cylinder was replaced, The Clutch was NOT replaced. Any other servicing was not carried out.

Bill from Mahindra- 0/ Rs. (includes towing, Parts and labor)
Expenses from our side-
Hotel stay- 5K Inr
Taxi and Bus fares- 1k
Time wasted 25 Hours.
These things were NOT reimbiursed

Overall treatment from dealer was good and Prompt (President motors, Surat)

Clutch Plate

Few days ago I went to a hill station (400km) and on a high incline there was a 40 minutes traffic jam. I had to use clutch a lot and as a result clutch plate got burnt. I could smell it burning and gear got locked in neutral.

This has happened to me for first time. Local people said that this is a frequent problem here and car will be fine after few hours when Clutch plate cools down.

Car did felt normal next day and I am back to my home (400km). At present car seems to be normal but I am worried if I should get clutch plate replaced or if I should continue using my car as it as.

Mahindra XUV 500, 35000km. Mostly driven in city, first time on hill.

Any idea about costs involved if Clutch Plate get replaced?

Problem with Clutch.

For me also, the same issue happened for clutch as mentioned above. It happened on a brand new XUV500 (within one month from delivery, and ODO just touched 1000 KM).

The situation was same as mentioned above. I had to drive through a slow moving traffic for long duration, and gear went unresponsive in neutral.

Had to drive half clutch for 30-40 minutes, in traffic and saw the Hill Hold Control indicator turning on. Continued driving with same condition, and after few minutes, there was a burning smell inside the vehicle (AC air flow was set for internal air circulation only). Then found that I couldn't change gear to any level from neutral. In the middle of traffic (luckily it was a two a lane road), stopped the vehicle and called up the dealer. They came to the spot and checked the vehicle, but couldn't find the reason, and vehicle was working fine after restart. Since it was a new vehicle, I was advised not to dismantle anything, and wait to see the issue again to find the real reason. Later I left the place, after checking again the working condition by them.

After this incident, nothing happened for another month, and when ODO crossed 2000 KM, the same behavior happened again in a slow moving traffic. This time, had to drive slowly for 30 minutes in traffic. The indicator for Hill Hold Control turned on, but, as my destination reached by that time, I had to stop the vehicle. Hence couldn't see the issue with gear, which happened earlier after continuing driving even after the Hill Hold Control indicator turning on.

Reported both cases to Mahindra, and they took the vehicle for inspection. Even drove the vehicle in the same condition for long duration, but no success in creating the issue. I also drove with them for 30 minutes to recreate the issue, but didn't see the behavior. (Must say that Mahindra and service center people are very supportive and cooperative in finding the issue.) Now they agreed to change the clutch, as there is no other reason to doubt with.

Searched internet for similar issues, but didn't see any case, except the above one. Anyone have any idea about the reason or suggestions, then please share.

Top Bottom