Building a Bus For Long Distance Travel. Suggestions Needed.

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everybody, I'm a new member in The Automotive India. I want a fair suggestion from all of you. I want to start Long Distance Intercity AC Bus Service in West Bengal.

Route Deatils : 600 kms approx per day in Regional / Urban Two Lane Road (Average Conditions)

Required Bus : 12M Chassis (Front Engine Preferable), AC, Full Air Suspension, ABS, 45 seater etc

I want the suggestions from you as below

(i) Which Chassis (Ashok Leyland / TATA)
(ii) Power & Torque (Suitable for AC Bus)
(iii) Air Suspension in Rear only or Both
(iv) What kind of Tyre is best for that kind of road
(v) Expected Fuel Economy in AC
(vi) Average Tyre Life in kms
(vii) Average Maintenance Cost & Service Interval in kms
(viii) Name of some reliable Bus AC Manufacture & Cost
(ix) Cost of Air Suspension each (how many kits required in this kind of bus)
(x) Best Bus Body Builders near West Bengal

Kindly guide & advice me as per your business experience and traveling experience. Thank you all of you in advance.

Thread Starter #2
Kindly advise me the better from this option given below

Ashok Leyland 12M EDC (ALPSV 4/169) and TATA LPO 1618

Last edited:
Hello Luxury Travel, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com,

Congrats for your upcoming venture, I'm no expert in suggesting the full tech specs but let me pour in my views, maybe take me more as a passenger who requires some parameters while travelling.

Being an enthusiast, i prefer Ashok Leyland when compared to Tata as the power output is more in AL, which means more power is needed for A/C buses.

Down South, AL is more preferred than Tata for intercity travels for their service back-up, power and less maintenance (do not know about it fully).

AFAIK Air suspension is enough to be fixed in rear wheels as front portion will be majorly taken by the cabin.

If the bus runs in two lane road, i think you should go for the bus which has higher power output of say minimum of 150 - 250 hp buses, since there is a usage of A/C

My office bus is AL Viking which was purchased two years before has good power and pulls better, previously it was a Tata LPO which wasn't that better in performance.

Try contacting Sutlej, he is a renowned body builder.

You can check these links for better information and a business review:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rbo-410-nm-torque-7-wheels-pics-pg-3-a-2.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...er/2296-new-ac-bus-time.html?highlight=Viking

Hello Everybody, I'm a new member in The Automotive India. I want a fair suggestion from all of you. I want to start Long Distance Intercity AC Bus Service in West Bengal.
I hope I can guide you a little. This sector is very market specific, so instead of getting a general opinion, I suggest that you should look at what your specific market favours.

(i) Which Chassis (Ashok Leyland / TATA)
Both are good. People down South prefer AL buses more because they tend to be more reliable. This is very important for long haul buses.

Do check the availability of spares in your market for both brands.

(iii) Air Suspension in Rear only or Both
Only rear is enough.

(iv) What kind of Tyre is best for that kind of road
10" radials would be best, though expensive.

(v) Expected Fuel Economy in AC
On highways, expect 3-4 kmpl.

(vi) Average Tyre Life in kms
Hugely varies on road conditions, though expect about 40000 kms on one set. You can do re-treading later.

(vii) Average Maintenance Cost & Service Interval in kms
Services every 7500 kms for AL. Average service costs are approx Rs. 4000-6000 INR.

(viii) Name of some reliable Bus AC Manufacture & Cost
Thermoking.

(ix) Cost of Air Suspension each (how many kits required in this kind of bus)
You will need a pair for the rear only. Costs about INR 2 Lacs.

Kindly guide & advice me as per your business experience and traveling experience.
Its a very competitive field and be ready to get your hands dirty!

All the best for your venture.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Vishwas and raj_5004 for your response in my request. Your suggestions must be helpful to me. I'll must keep it in mind for my final decision. Thank you guys.

I've already talked with Azad Group for body building. They informed me that they use Jhingy made Air Conditioner. And Air Suspension kits are fitted with the AL chassis in rear (optional in front) as per telephonic conversation with AL Manager. They opted it from Wheels India Limited.

I'll tell here after getting any new information. You must keep in touch with me. Have a good relation in between both of us. Thanks a lot.

i have a good experience with buses since my uncle runs a transport company.

leyland has quicker response from tata.
better service
reliable
easy spares availabllity
leyland has more GC

tata has a better ride quality
they acceleration is below par..would be more suited for highways since you need not slow down many times

on the other hand, i tried tata divo. wow is the only word that came from my mind. mind blowing acceleration and lot of facilites. cost is around 15.34 lakhs.

Last edited:
Thanks Vishwas and raj_5004 for your response in my request. Your suggestions must be helpful to me. I'll must keep it in mind for my final decision. Thank you guys.

I've already talked with Azad Group for body building. They informed me that they use Jhingy made Air Conditioner. And Air Suspension kits are fitted with the AL chassis in rear (optional in front) as per telephonic conversation with AL Manager. They opted it from Wheels India Limited.

I'll tell here after getting any new information. You must keep in touch with me. Have a good relation in between both of us. Thanks a lot.
Inquire any AL owners in your region about the spares and service center availability, Azad is also a reputed builder, so you can opt him for body building.

i have a good experience with buses since my uncle runs a transport company.

leyland has more GC
Will GC be considered in the bus chassis too? I think problem will be only with volvo's and low floor buses.

tata has a better ride quality
Agree and they have less NVH levels when compared to AL.

they acceleration is below par..would be more suited for highways since you need not slow down many times

on the other hand, i tried tata divo. wow is the only word that came from my mind. mind blowing acceleration and lot of facilites. cost is around 15.34 lakhs.
Lucky person you are, but how come Divo is sold for 15 lakhs? If i'm right they compete with Volvo and heard they are around 20 lakhs cheaper than volvo's which means some 60 Lakhs.

Top Bottom