AC Cooling Issues in Polo Trendline

Thread Starter #1
All,

Getting straight to the point. I have had my VW Polo Trendline since Aug 2012 and have not faced any issues except one. The AC cooling keeps getting cut off every now and then. Every time I think of taking it to the service station, that particular day the AC would work in full swing and in fact I have had to reduce the fan speed a bit. I finished my second service around a month back and I hoped they would find out the problem since I had already mentioned it on the "Work to be done" sheet. It turns out the AC was actually working fine and was working fine for two more days after the service. But after that the woes continue.
Whenever I switch on the AC I can hear a *click* sound which, i believe, is the AC cooling sound. But after a while the cooling stops and gets stuffy inside. Also, whenever the car goes over a pothole, the AC cooling starts again and remains like that, sometimes the whole time when the car is on, or till the time it is in mood!!
Could someone advise if they have faced a similar problem with their Polo and/or is there a solution for this issue.

PS: As of today, the AC cooling is working fine.

Thread Starter #3
Hello Amit,

Thanks for your prompt response
To be frank, I am not quiet sure how to check that. Also, to add on to my earlier post, when the cooling stops it emits a kind of a smell which i would say is bearable, but at the same time not bearable to keep the windows closed. Also, I really dont want to go back to the service station again for this since I am in a dilemma if they will do a good job. Is it advisable to check this issue with a local car AC mechanic or Bosch Service center?

What I understand is ,if engine over heats, the ac dose not work properly.so asked about thermostat. If your car temperature is in control then and ac compressor knocking of is intermittent, better to visit ASS.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Amit. But the engine overheating and the AC not working is not an issue because most of the time this happens when I switch on the car in the morning and the cooling will happen for 10 seconds and then knocks off. So we can rule out the engine overheating issue for now. But again, thanks for your response.
Any other Polo owners facing such issue or is there a way to avoid going to the service station? I really would love to keep the service station as the last option or if there are no other favorable options.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Does the ac stops even if you are accelerating ? And i think your car is still in warranty so maybe ask from a local mechanic but get any work done from the center itself.

Thread Starter #7
no, the AC does not stop while accelerating all the time although I have noticed a few instances wherein the cooling did stop and restarts again in couple of seconds. And yes, my car is still under warranty. I had checked this issue with a local AC mechanic and he told the issue might be with the Fan. The days after that, I did check the fan regularly. As it turns out, when I switch on the AC, the fan will work for 2-3 seconds and then switches off. Would that be an issue? And what would be the smell that is emitted when the cooling doesnt work. This is the exact same smell that I get when I used to switch on the car in the morning before all this issue started cropping up

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Yeah the ac cuts off some times when you don't accelerate. Have you checked the coolant level of your car ?

So everytime the fan works only for 2-seconds? That can be a problem. Ac won't work if the fan's not working or if there is dirt in your radiator \ coolant.

My car's ac used to stop working on red lights so i had to press the accelerator to keep it on. As a permanent fix i just asked the service guy to increase the engine's rpm. Works good.

The other time ac stopped working and i took it to a local mechanic and he checked the coolant. It was dirty so he removed the radiator , cleaned it pour new coolant and ac's working fine.

Thread Starter #9
I just finished my second service last month. The coolant level is good. I am thinking the issue to be with the fan as in whenever the AC cooling does not work, the fan could be the issue. Hopefully as Amit pointed out, nothing wrong with the Thermostat. Do you suggest the changing of coolant just as a trial and error method?

Thread Starter #11
Thank you, I shall do that.
And to add on to the colour and thickness of the coolant, Well as we all know, VW has a pink color coolant which i believe should be good considering the service done. Regarding the thickness, well I believe it looks kinda watery. Not sure if thats supposed to remain that way.

Last edited:
This happenned with my safari. turned out that the condensor fan fuse was loose. do check that. i suspect that is causing the issue.

Thread Starter #13
Hi Mercedised, Thanks for you response, i will have one of the Bosch Technicians to look into it. If its not the said issue, then I believe going to the service station is what would be good. As of today the AC cooling is not working and to top it all, theres a stink which comes out of the vent when I switch on the AC.

Rajeev,
I am having the similar issue with my Polo trendline 2010. Did you get your car issue resolved?
First of all, thanks srinivasrajus813 for replying in this thread otherwise i would never had found a special thread on polo Air conditioning. The same issue is faced by me on my 6 months old Polo GT. My car has done 6500 kms. I have not faced this issue om my Polo 1.5 TDi, so maybe the problem is only with the petrol cars.

If someone has resolved this issue, please reply.

Top Bottom