Continuously Riding a Bike at High Speeds

Thread Starter #1
I'm slow speed driver but sometimes i go for 80-90.i want to know is it safe for bikes engine to drive continuously 100-150 kilometres at high speeds of 80-90? I'm asking this because next week am planning to go for 150 km drive with my bike.Till now i never did such long drive on my bike and I really feel worry about that. My bike is well maintained and i usually go for 50-60 speed and some times i do 80-90. But this time I have to drive 150kms and feel that 60kmph will not be a good idea for such long distance. So i have decided to go for 80-90 kmph or even more, but also follow 50-60 speed in between. So please tell me is it safe for bikes engine health to drive it continiously for 150 kms at high speed? and of course I'm talking about 150cc and above engines[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: kilometres limits

No issue at all, with a peace of mind you can drive as long as you want.

In India many people are doing the "IronButt' certification" with our Indian 150CC bike.They are doing 1500 KM in 24 hours and in advance mode some more KM . I don't know the detail.Google can be helpful here. To achieve these figure bike has to run 100+ continuously for 24 hours and yes some rest is there. So it is perfectly doable.

Do do your regular servicing and change the part which are worn out and you are ready to go.

in the past in my twenties i used to do 125 kms rides every saturday and mondays at 90 - 100 kmph in my suzuki samurai. i had no issues with that bike any time.

just back from a 220km continous ride on my zma with speeds ranging from 50 to 130. in the past, have done 135 kms at a strecth on tvs star city at a steady speed of 70-80. if your long rides includes riding under hot sun and slow moving traffic, it's advisable to give your bike a nap of 10-15 minutes for every 70-80 kms.

I bet you cannot drive at steady speed of 70-80 kmph for more than 10-15 min in INDIA, probably a tractor+trolley/urban bikers/Jeeps/and many more will cross your way.

Don't worry if your bike is serviced regularly you can drive it more than 150 KMS.

Thread Starter #7
just back from a 220km continous ride on my zma with speeds ranging from 50 to 130. in the past, have done 135 kms at a strecth on tvs star city at a steady speed of 70-80. if your long rides includes riding under hot sun and slow moving traffic, it's advisable to give your bike a nap of 10-15 minutes for every 70-80 kms.
yes I think you are right about taking 10-15 minutes rest after 70-80 kms.ill follow that..thankyou.

what bike you own?
i have pulsar 150 old model of 2003 and other is bullet electra 5s.my first choice was to take bullet for this long ride, but reading many reviews on net about bullets i dropped the plan.many says that bullet is not good for long drive, and with speed of 90-100kmph its not good idea..engine may seize due to overheating.is that true..? i really like riding this 350 engine but feel very sad that we cant go for high speeds. so now am taking my pulsar for this long ride. for me pulsar is also a good bike which is reliable and had never ever let me down.

150 kms is peanuts. But your Pulsar is 11 years old - do get it serviced; replace all fluids and filters, check condition of spark plug, tyres, cables, and brakes - before you embark on the trip.

The sweet spot of the 350 CI engine lies at 50-60 kmph. It can do 80-90 kmph but it does not take nicely to sustained high speeds in the long run; blame the weak oil pump and old pushrod design.

i have pulsar 150 old model of 2003 and other is bullet electra 5s.my first choice was to take bullet for this long ride, but reading many reviews on net about bullets i dropped the plan.many says that bullet is not good for long drive, and with speed of 90-100kmph its not good idea..engine may seize due to overheating.is that true..? i really like riding this 350 engine but feel very sad that we cant go for high speeds. so now am taking my pulsar for this long ride. for me pulsar is also a good bike which is reliable and had never ever let me down.
I have taken my 2002 Bajaj Calibar for 1000 KMs ride, riding at the speed of 80-85 constantly. Nothing happened. Dont worry, just get the fluids check and you are good to go.

Remember to hand the Lemon-Chilly for good luck. [evil] Call me superstitious, but I do it every time whenever I am going for long drive be it bike or car. Call me weird but every time I went for longish ride on my bike, i talk to her for a minute before ride, asking her to be with me on entire journey. [;)]

Bullet will not be good choice for long drive.Bullet is good for terrain like ladakh and all,Pulsar suits the best for highway long drive.
But with 150 KM as the distance ,Bullet will be fine.

Last edited:
In the past ,when we started driving the 4 stroke bajaj bikes they asked us to take a rest of 10 minutes after every 100 Kms.Its not upon the speed only but the duration also was taken in to consideration. This was suppose to promote the longevity of the engine.
Current generation of engines may not have such an issue ,this includes bullet electra if its serviced and kept in good condition.
I would recommend bullet rather than a decade old pulsar if you go for a 50-60 Kmph speed ,which actually would be very nice highway cruising.
I would say listen to your heart ![cheers]

Thread Starter #12
150 kms is peanuts. But your Pulsar is 11 years old - do get it serviced; replace all fluids and filters, check condition of spark plug, tyres, cables, and brakes - before you embark on the trip.

The sweet spot of the 350 CI engine lies at 50-60 kmph. It can do 80-90 kmph but it does not take nicely to sustained high speeds in the long run; blame the weak oil pump and old pushrod design.
yes absolutely correct.i do agree with this about 350 CI engines.thats what i have heard and read about old bullets.but i will not blame the bike for its minus points, but i will point my finger to those royal enfield engineers who didnt showed much interest in improving engine efficiency of this legendry bike since 60 years. ofcourse nowdays bullets came with uc engine having rotary pump circulating enough oil but still we listen complaints of something or other. and stiil it has those pushrods for operating the tappets

Last edited:
It all depends upon your endurance rather than the bike if it is in proper shape. Since, any modern 150cc+ engines can do 150Km easily. But, if its the first time you are doing such distance then you can take a 10 mins break. Every engine has different comfort zone(cruise ability), hence as long as you maintain that you can even do a lot more than 150Km even without the break.

Without any doubts you can do it. I have done Pune to Hyd in my Yamaha R15.

So please go ahead with confidence. Please stop your vehicle once in every 60 or 90 minutes to cool down the engine yourself.

All the very best!

Pulsar is beter choice if you want to ride on high speed. With disc brake and better high speed stability Pulsar will give you more confidence.
You can choose bullet if you are going to ride at upto 50-60 kmph speed. 80-90 speed may not be good for 350's engine and you may feel uncomfortable due to engine strained and heavy vibration at that speed.

Top Bottom