Car Door Electronic Swipe Card Security System

Thread Starter #1
Can it increase more security to the automobile by adding a electronic swipe card in the front door of the car similar to a ATM Card in a ATM Machine that unless and until the Pin Number - Password is not entered properly, the Car Door will not get opened.

The Electronic Swipe Card will be provided by the Car Manufacturer for every customer.

Electronic Display unit - Battery operated will be fixed on the Car Front Door along with the push buttons for entering the password code. The Electronic card
will be swiped by the Driver. If and only if the Password code is entered properly, then The Front Car Door will open.

Do you feel Car Thefts can be avoided by implementing Electronic Panel Display Unit ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Re: Car Door Electronic Swipe Card.

Every lock system wants to delay the intruder from gaining access. The one you said would of course achieve that. But, OEM fitted antitheft devices has a code which is not even known to customer.

BTW, if you know the code and have your car theft to claim insurance, how insurance will work?

Too many debates, eh!!!

Instead of this swipe card system, it will be more convenient to have a Finger Print Recognition System with Password. So you don't need to carry anything.[;)]

Anyways whenever a new security system is invented, thieves will start researching on how to dismantle it[lol]

350Z

Core Team

Do you feel Car Thefts can be avoided by implementing Electronic Panel Display Unit ?.
No security feature is foolproof. Carmakers are now focusing on simplicity and convenience. Though I can't reject the possibility but this idea sounds in a little contrast.

Instead of this swipe card system, it will be more convenient to have a Finger Print Recognition System with Password. So you don't need to carry anything.
Biometrics feature is already equipped in some of the high-end cars. It too has a set of disadvantages. A gang in Malaysia had cut the owner's finger just to steal the car.

Quoting the news article from BBC:
The car, a Mercedes S-class, was protected by a fingerprint recognition system.

Accountant K Kumaran's ordeal began when he was run down by four men in a small car as he was about to get into his Mercedes in a Kuala Lumpur suburb.

The gang, armed with long machetes, demanded the keys to his car.

It is worth around $75,000 second-hand on the local market, where prices are high because of import duties.

Stripped naked

The attackers forced Mr Kumaran to put his finger on the security panel to start the vehicle, bundled him into the back seat and drove off.

But having stripped the car, the thieves became frustrated when they wanted to restart it.

They found they again could not bypass the immobiliser, which needs the owner's fingerprint to disarm it.

They stripped Mr Kumaran naked and left him by the side of the road - but not before cutting off the end of his index finger with a machete.

Police believe the gang is responsible for a series of thefts in the area.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
The password will be strong 8-14 digit, alphanumeric, special keys combination.

The same can be extended for starting the car. i.e. Inside the car. A Electronic panel with Swipe card. Unless and Until password is not inserted properly by the Driver after swapping the card, even if one tries to start the car keys, the car will not start.

This can be extended to Buses, Lorries, Tempos, Trucks i.e. Heavy Vehicles.

This will increase security against car thefts ?.

I Feel security will be enhanced on the Automobile against thefts.

1. One while opening the car door, a strong password has to be entered.
2. One while starting the car, a strong password has to be entered.

Also Two different electronic swipe cards are required, one for opening the car door and other for starting the car.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

The same can be extended for starting the car. i.e. Inside the car. A Electronic panel with Swipe card. Unless and Until password is not inserted properly by the Driver after swapping the card, even if one tries to start the car keys, the car will not start.

This can be extended to Buses, Lorries, Tempos, Trucks i.e. Heavy Vehicles.

This will increase security against car thefts ?.

I Feel security will be enhanced on the Automobile against thefts.

1. One while opening the car door, a strong password has to be entered.
2. One while starting the car, a strong password has to be entered.

Also Two different electronic swipe cards are required, one for opening the car door and other for starting the car.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
Now a days people are not even ready to lock/unlock their car door with the help of its key, instead they prefer remote switch[lol]. Ya obviously everybody need their cars to be safe, but still it should be very convenient to use.

Just look at the example given by 350Z. This two stage "swipe card+passwords" will also gonna fail in the case similar to that. Your method will work where the thief don't try to show their muscle powers.[frustration]

350Z

Core Team

This concept reminds of a Figo that I saw at Ford dealership with aftermarket start-stop function. Here's the link: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...e-start-stop-button-keyless-go-ford-figo.html.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom