Royal Enfield Electra's Battery Draining Fast

Thread Starter #1
hi everybody.mine is royal enfield electra 5s and the problem is that battery drains very fast within two three days[frustration].two months ago i replaced the old battery with new one (exide).my daily ride is about 2 kms and sometimes about 20 kms once in a week.since new battery installation it worked well for the first month even though headlights didnt seem powerful enough and after that battery started draining after every two three days.initially i thought this must be because i dont drive much so one day i went for long drive about 70-80 kms and after that the starter motor cranked the engine easily.but unfortunately my happiness remained only for 3 to 4 days[frustration].now the starter cant spin the engine.karrrrrrr karrrrrrrr type of voice comes from left side tool box (i think its starter relay).so i have to kick start the bike.what should i do now?what is causing all this?

Re: battery draining fast

Give more information regarding your bullet like condition and age. Also please mention if you have done any recent work on the bullet.have you touched the alternator?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Do you use the electric starter everytime? since you ride for only 2 kms i'd suggest you to kick start the bike. And my TB's mechabic told me never to use electric starter the first time you start your bike in a day.

Thread Starter #4
Give more information regarding your bullet like condition and age. Also please mention if you have done any recent work on the bullet.have you touched the alternator?
its 2008 model electra 5s CI engine.i bought it second hand two years ago and only once i changed the starter relay after one month of buying (mechanic suggested me).i didnt touched alternator.

Do you use the electric starter everytime? since you ride for only 2 kms i'd suggest you to kick start the bike. And my TB's mechabic told me never to use electric starter the first time you start your bike in a day.
ok i will follow this from now.but why is this thing only with bullets? i think this is not with other bikes and especially cars[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

ok i will follow this from now.but why is this thing only with bullets? i think this is not with other bikes and especially cars[confused]
I don't have any idea :\ my TB's battery always remain low. (5 years old) since my commute is very low. After driving for 15 kms i can use the starter :P otherwise i always kick start the bike.

Try to follow this and see if there is any change.

1. Check if the alternator is working fine. The alternator keeps the battery charged while the engine is running - if it is faulty, the battery will discharge early.

2. Get the battery checked - maybe you were saddled with a faulty/used battery.

Do these two things and let us know the results.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
1. Check if the alternator is working fine. The alternator keeps the battery charged while the engine is running - if it is faulty, the battery will discharge early.

If the alternator is faulty what would be the expense to correct it? my bike's battery remains low, starter sometimes work and sometimes doesn't but every other thing works even if the bike is not started.

Alternator is mostly a use and throw part; so it is generally replaced with a new one. Shouldnt be too expensive - check out the price with the dealer/at aftermarket spare shops.

Thread Starter #9

thanks for ur suggestion sam.i will check alternator.but as per my knowledge (mechanic told me) if the battery is down the needle of amp meter shifts right side while bike is running which means battery is charging.and if needle stays in middle while running means battery is charged and charging is stopped automaticaly by regulator and left shifting of needle indicates that there is something short circuit in wiring system.needle also shift to left when we switch on the lights etc.in my case while running bike this needle shifts to right for some distance,say one km, and after that it remains in middle at what ever speed.does this means that battery is ok and something other is faulty?may be regulator or starter relay?[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom