Odd Sound After Silencer Replacement of Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,

I have a 1999 model maruthi 800. Recently i had to change its silencer as the previous one rusted. After getting the new silencer fixed, the sound of the car from the rear side doesnt sound so good. I expected it to be more silent. Next day i took back the vehicle to the mechanic When i asked him about it he said it because its a new one and the sound will get better after running few kilometers. He also did some tuning saying that it can help reduce the sound to some level. He some how convinced me saying all this and i left the place. Now the car seems to be more sluggish after he did the tuning. That peppiness has been lost and i can slightly feel the car stalling at lower speeds and that makes me push harder a bit more to keep the car move smoothly. Also I feel that mileage has come down. What do you guys have to say about this? Is there any truth in what he said?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1999 model M 800- sound change after silencer replacement

Seems like there is a blow in the exhaust somewhere. If there is a leak anywhere along the exhaust system it can cause all of the issues you have mentioned.

You should inspect the joint where he attached the new section of the exhaust to the old one, make sure they overlap and that he has sealed the gap with exhaust paste. Also, look down the exhaust (from the end) with a powerful light to make sure he didn't use so much exhaust paste that it is constricting the tube.

Thread Starter #3
Could that be because he fitted a silencer which is not suited for maruthi 800? It now sounds like a racing car. Infact the mechanic was trying to take the credit saying that people especially youth are craving to get this sound. I said i dont like it and i want it to be silent. He did some tuning and spoiled everything. Now no mileage and no power.

It definitely seems like there is a flow issue, either because of a leak or constriction. The mechanic is just covering himself for having done a bad job. Please answer the following if you don't mind:
Where did you get the replacement silencer?
Did you compare it to the original one?
What sort of tuning did he do?

Top Bottom