Keeping Your Car Parked Safely For Long Duration

Thread Starter #1
1. Don't engage the handbrake. Just park the car in gear.
2. Are you using a car cover? Is it a closed garage? In that case leave a small gap in the windows. Don't close the windows completely .
3. Fuel tank level should be full. Condensation in the fuel tank becomes a problem if car is parked for a long time.
4. Consider placing a sheet of plastic or something similar between the wiper blades and the windshield. Else the blades stick to the windshield.
5. Disconnect the battery?
6. Clean the car and wax it before storing it.
7. Place tobacco packets around engine bay specially around wiring area. It help stop rats being around.
8. Inflate the tyre pressure by 3-4 PSI.

Source - Punto User Group

Hello RSM, Why shouldn't one engage handbrake while parking for many days?
Any Reason?

2. Are you using a car cover? Is it a closed garage? In that case leave a small gap in the windows. Don't close the windows completely .

Why.
I usually put the covers and close the window fully.

3. Consider placing a sheet of plastic or something similar between the wiper blades and the windshield. Else the blades stick to the windshield.

This seems a Good Idea to prevent Wiper blades from premature wearing.

4. Clean the car and wax it before storing it.

I have heard it from dealer saying that not to wax a car on painted area, As it
eats the paint and the lusture of original paint loses.

Whats your point on this?

5. Place tobacco packets around engine bay specially around wiring area. It help stop rats being around.

I have already done the Engine Motto care which is a mix of Diesel with some chemical. To prevent rats.

6. Inflate the tyre pressure by 3-4 PSI.

Yes usually when i not use the vehicle for a week i inflate it 2 Psi more than normal.
As this becomes the same after a week.

Thread Starter #4

Any Reason?
I will find out why, but this is mentioned in Punto's Manual.

Why.
I usually put the covers and close the window fully.
Leaving small gap will give breating space for interiors. But this should be done, if the parking is safe.

4. Clean the car and wax it before storing it.

I have heard it from dealer saying that not to wax a car on painted area, As it eats the paint and the lusture of original paint loses.

Whats your point on this?
Waxing should be done only on paint area only. Using pue canbua wax won't harm paint. Actually it is must for all cars.
Read these -
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/maintaining-my-ride/393-best-way-maintain-car-colour.html
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/maintaining-my-ride/75-how-wax-car.html

3. Fuel tank level should be full. Condensation in the fuel tank becomes a problem if car is parked for a long time.
4. Consider placing a sheet of plastic or something similar between the wiper blades and the windshield. Else the blades stick to the windshield.
5. Disconnect the battery?
6. Clean the car and wax it before storing it.
7. Place tobacco packets around engine bay specially around wiring area. It help stop rats being around.
8. Inflate the tyre pressure by 3-4 PSI.

Source - Punto User Group
Good points to follow.

About the wiper thing, instead of keeping something (which could also stick to the wiper) in between the wiper and the windshield, we can as well open the wipers up. I mean, the way we do while washing the windscreen(?).

Disconnecting the battery is another important point to follow!!

Thread Starter #6
Any Reason?
In the storage state, the brakes can start sticking to the disks. So, avoid leaving the handbrake engaged. Instead of the handbrake leave the car in gear and chock the wheels.

About the wiper thing, instead of keeping something (which could also stick to the wiper) in between the wiper and the windshield, we can as well open the wipers up. I mean, the way we do while washing the windscreen(?).
You are right, but this would be difficult, in case you are putting car cover.

One more thing to care -
- Spread a plastic sheet on the ground beneath the car to help keep the damp from rising up.

Some more info here - Car Articles India | The Ifs and Buts of Car Storage - Know Them All

In the storage state, the brakes can start sticking to the disks. So, avoid leaving the handbrake engaged. Instead of the handbrake leave the car in gear and chock the wheels.

Some more info here - Car Articles India | The Ifs and Buts of Car Storage - Know Them All

RSM, I can partially agree with you.

Because if one parks on a steep road, The 1st gear alone will not be able to stop the vehicle.

Hand brake is needed.

Because the gear might slip into neutral and there may be chances of car rolling back.

So guys be cautious!!.

No one will park in a slope for a long time.

Hand brake cause tension in springs and cables to rear brake and chances of jamming may occur if released after a long time. also rusting forms in drums and place where lining grips may be nil rust causing a slight uneven wear in run.

And AFAIK nobody should park their vehicles in slope in 1st gear isnt it?? I always employ only 2nd or 4th gear i.e the gear knob facing downwards.

350Z

Core Team
Informative points there. It is correct that one should avoid using handbrakes frequently for the already said reasons. However, for slopes, Must use it and firstly don't park the car on slopes, otherwise a brick behind the wheels could also work.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom