Daewoo Matiz Mini-Restoration Need Advice !!

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guyz

Me an My Teacher are Going to do a Restoration project in a Month or 2.

Why Restoration on a Matiz

1) Well,He Hates Nano !!
2) Matiz Gives Us Knowledge and Experience(Daewoo) About Restoration

Vitamin M (Money) - Teacher Rs 1 Lakh Excluding Car, All The Others (Recommendor and Spare Part Source Finder) - Me

NOTE - Cars Test Driven and Garage with Spare Parts (Matiz) and a Good mechanic with 23 Years Restoration Experience SOURCED !! [glasses]

My Heart - 2000 Daewoo Matiz SG Peacock Green Power Steering,A/C,Central Locking,Single Owner,2,00,000 Kms Rs.25K - Engine Pretty Good Condition,Body VERY BAD Condition Had Rust (Not Holes) and Dents Everywhere (I Felt Sad for the Car),Bulbs Work Perfect, Got 16 kmpl without A/C in City (Self Tested)

1) Is there any Better car for Restoration ( Please NO Marutis )??

2) Though I have Sourced All The Spare parts from A Small Nut to Engine Block For The Matiz with 2 Years Warranty with 30-Day Money Back Guarantee and for a Decent Price , Will it Become a Risk ??

3) My Mechanic is Asking 50K for a Complete Rust Removal,Tinkering,Denting,Corrosion Treatment and a New Paint Job (Rust,Corrosion, 2 Years Warranty). Is it a Good Price (Also Includes Engine,Transmission,Suspension,Brake Parts Checking and Replacing if Needed 2 Years Warranty)

4) Will Be Upgrading Tires to 155/65/R 13 (Yokohama A-Drive Tubeless) and 13'' Alloy Wheels (Need Brand Suggestions) for 25K

5) Are There Any FFE with Headers and K&N for Matiz in Chennai (My Mechanic has no Idea to Source These)

6) Heard Something Called as XMileager (Increases Performance,KMPL etc) for 15K. How Can I Buy it in Chennai ??

6) What is The Grade for Fully Synthetic Oil for Matiz ??

Thank You

But WHY A MATIZ? is the first question that came into my mind.
Ofcourse Matiz was one of the cute and best looking hatch available those days. Haven't driven much and I fell in love after driving it.

Matiz spares are bit difficult to source and might be next to impossible in near future. Back to the point, you have got a decent budget (1L for restoration, excluding the car purchase) Why don't you stick to other cars? If you hate Marutis Santro is another best choice available. You can get a decent condition / well maintained Santro Zip drive for around 1L and spend few grands in adding alloys, better tyres, etc.

Hi
dear i appreciate your selection of car . i was owner of one of matiz it was good experience

regarding parts of matiz they are available like all of them are taken from M800, zen sentro etc

for others parts which are specific they can be found on scrap dealer dont worry

good luck go ahead.

Hi Guyz

Me an My Teacher are Going to do a Restoration project in a Month or 2.

Why Restoration on a Matiz

1) Well,He Hates Nano !!
2) Matiz Gives Us Knowledge and Experience(Daewoo) About Restoration

Vitamin M (Money) - Teacher Rs 1 Lakh Excluding Car, All The Others (Recommendor and Spare Part Source Finder) - Me

NOTE - Cars Test Driven and Garage with Spare Parts (Matiz) and a Good mechanic with 23 Years Restoration Experience SOURCED !! [glasses]

My Heart - 2000 Daewoo Matiz SG Peacock Green Power Steering,A/C,Central Locking,Single Owner,2,00,000 Kms Rs.25K - Engine Pretty Good Condition,Body VERY BAD Condition Had Rust (Not Holes) and Dents Everywhere (I Felt Sad for the Car),Bulbs Work Perfect, Got 16 kmpl without A/C in City (Self Tested)

Thank You
Go ahead with restoration.People have restored classics ,SO what is Matiz .
if we have willingness to do it do it ,No one can stop us .
Try to do most work DIY so you can no stones upturned, Mechanic will not do with whole concentration and charge commission.You can do it yourself cheaply.

Regards
Ankit

Thread Starter #7
Thank you all. My Mechanic testdrove with a Note and a pen along with me on the car at high speeds. He tested on harsh roads at high and slow speeds.He revved the engine hard 2 times.He brought it to his shop and removed all the panels and checked for rust etc.He checked Everything Serveral times and wasn't Happy.Then he sent the seller back home in a soft way that he earned another custoer (The seller !!). He told the Problems

Mr.Boss - Spare Parts Sourced 2 Years Warranty (With 'Daewoo Certified.Made in Korea')
Ramankanythia - How Much was its Maintainence Costs per Month and Per Year ??

1) Underbody Completely Rusted and has Huge Holes
2) Suspension and Braking needs Complete Rebuild (Overhaul)
3) Odometer has been Opened and Modified (He also Said te Car has Crossed more than 2.5 Lakh Kms)
4) Fuel Pump Completely Dead (I Know it was a Glitch in the Matiz.It Never Worked Correctly)
5) Rust. Rust EVERYWHERE (Even in the Engine Bay)!! [frustration]
6) Timing Belt,Water Pump,Alternator Belt Very Near to death
7) Many Wires Cut (By Rats at the seller's Colony)
8) Engine Oil Fully Blacked out (Only Changed 1 Time at 1.3 Lakh Kms Mech Says)
9) All Tyres Bald (145/65/ R 13) 20% Life left
10) 2nd Gear Even More Tight (It is a Glitch again but it is Always Slipping to 4th so Mech is Again Confused)

My Questions

1) What to do for the Underbody Rust ? (Mech says It may be Imposibble as it is very severe)

2) Suspension and Braking Rebuild Rs.10K.Is it Expensive or OK ??
3) After Rebuild of the Car Can I Set the Odometer Completly to Zero ??
4) Mech says he has Fuel pump but also says it is not worth. Should i Change the fuel Pump ??
5) Rust. How can I get rid of it ?? (Mech asks me to go to 3M and Do Anti-Rust Coating)
6) All the Belts needs Repair. Are there any Specific Manufacturer Who Makes Belts Better than the Original ??
7) Which Company Has the Best Wiring Minda or Bosch ??
8) What is the Grade for Synthetic Engine Oil in Matiz ??
9) Is Yokohama A-Drive Tubless Good ??
i) Which Size 155/65/R 13 or 155/70/R 13
ii) Which is the Best 13 Inch Alloy Wheels
10) Mech Says He will Check the Transmission and Rebuild if needed for 15K. Is the Amount Expensive ??
11) Mech also Says the Cost of Restoring this Car (Also Said It Will Be his First Daewoo and One of the Most Challenging Restorations He has Ever done)

Costs
1) Suspension and Brakes Rebuild 15K MAX
2) Engine Restoration and Re-conditioning (With Painting) 25K MAX
3) Full Body Stripping to Bare Metal and Doing Denting,Rust Treatment,New Paint (3 Coats) 25K MAX
4) Alloy Wheels and Yokohama A Drive Tubeless Tyres 30K MAX
5) 3M Package-Underbody Coating Rust Proof 5 Years Warranty, Engine Dressing,Interior,Exterior Detailing,Paint Protection,Power Shine with Full Wax Coating,Interior/Exterior Clean Premium,Dashboard Shine,Battery Terminal Coating,Engine Performer. 30K Max

Restoration TOTAL - 1.25 Lakhs MAX and 1 Lakh MIN

My Mech called the Seller and Showed the Problems and He Agreed to Give The Car for Rs.15K [shock]

How is the Colour i have choosen (Chevy's Cocktail Green)

So Please Help Me !!

Attachments

Restoration TOTAL - 1.25 Lakhs MAX and 1 Lakh MIN

My Mech called the Seller and Showed the Problems and He Agreed to Give The Car for Rs.15K [shock]

So Please Help Me !!
Are you sure, you still want to carry out this restoration?
Afterall it is hard earned money and spending it on a matiz is definitely no worth (sorry for being offensive, but I mean it)
Few items missed:
- Since most of the wiring harness is already damaged, you have to go for complete new harness
- Condition of head lamp, tail lamp? After giving a fresh look paint, if you don't change them it will look odd.
- If the vehicle clocked 2.5L km, how about the condition of Drive shaft, steering rack.

For 1.5L (125k + 15k + few grands) you can get a well maintained Honda City (1st gen), Santro Zip, Esteem, Old Zen.

Last edited:
my experience with matiz was very good except head rebuilding

pump shows no problem you can get if from scrap dealer or fit m800 mpfi with slight mod

axle are excellent in matiz
timing belt needs regular checkup buy only original
head lamp 800/per light
silencer 1200

i suggest you to buy another matiz with rust free body

Thread Starter #11
About Headlamp,I Will let you know in a day Mr.Boss. Are you Saying the whole assembly or just a set of two headlamps ? Thank you

Thread Starter #12
Eh... Mr.Boss. Do you own a Matiz ? What is the maintainence cost per month. My Mechanic told me that it will cost lesser than Rs.200 . Mr.Ramankanythia, Do you have any pics of your matiz ? If yes please post one.Thank you

Eh... Mr.Boss. Do you own a Matiz ? What is the maintainence cost per month. My Mechanic told me that it will cost lesser than Rs.200
Fortunately I didn't own one. [:)]
But came across few of my friends sold their beloved Matiz for few grands (during mid 2000s) due to spares issues.

Make an agreement with your mechanic that you will not pay him anything more than 200 INR/month towards maintenance. If he agrees, I agree on his/your statement.

Anyways, I will stop commenting from here. All the best for your restoration (if it happens)

Thread Starter #14
Thank you Mr.Boss and Please don't stop Commenting. You can find Flaws in a Restoration. It will Be very helpful.Headlamp (Set of Two) - Rs.1K (Daewoo Korea),Whole Assembly Rs 4k. Please tell the Choice of the colour Mechanic says that Scratches will be more visible ut He is in love with this colour choice. Thank you

Top Bottom