Retrofitting Paddle Shifters on a Celerio

Thread Starter #1
Well the Celerio has been launched. You know that. It has the much talked about AMT. You know that too. My wife is planning to buy one. You probably didn't know that. I want to retrofit paddle shifters. You should know that if you have read the thread title. There are some cars with paddle shifters. Most of them are the CVT type and some (VAG) are the DSG.
OK the CVT uses some sort of pulleys and torque convertor, the DSG has 2 clutches and some gizmos and the AMT is a conventional manual box operated by hydraulic actuators. They all have some sensors which send signals to the ECU which does some calculations and sends some signals to the respective gizmos to shift gears. That's what an automatic does and all this is totally irrelevant to this thread.
Now most of the automatics (all 3 types) have a manual or tiptronic mode which allows you to shift gears manually (for whatever reason you choose). So when the lever is in D, you shift it to the left or right (down in case of the Merc) and then up (+) or down (-) to either upshift or downshift (left or right in case of the Merc). Now I'm no techie so I don't know what goes on inside but when you push the lever towards "+" it probably pushes a switch which activates something and initiates a complex procedure which causes the gear to shift from 1 to 2 and so on. Similarly when you push the lever towards "-", the same process is initiated to shift gears in the opposite direction. Now coming to the paddle shifters. They do the same thing that the + & - positions on the lever do and are probably connected to the same place that the + & - positions on the lever are.

So to retrofit paddle shifters to the Celerio is a simple 2 step process:
1. Buy a paddle shifter unit or steering unit with paddle shifters of some other car and fit it in place of the stock one.
2. Connect the wires to wherever they are supposed to be connected.

And there you have a Maruti Celerio with paddle shifters.

But there are 2 simple problems:
1. Which paddle shifter unit or steering unit with paddle shifters of which car is compatible with the Celerio.
2. Where do I connect it and how the hell do I connect it.

DIY experts, electronics guys and general car experts please come up with a solution. Those who's solution is "Sell the car and buy one with factory fitted paddle shifters" please refrain from giving me this solution.

Thread Starter #3
Err... one basic question. Doing this experiment in your new car wont void the warranty of 3-4 years ?
Basic answer - Yes.
Complex answer - No. If you can do the job without cutting wires and drilling holes etc. Then you need to have some "setting" with your dealer (like all the re-mapped Skodas in Goa) so he can ignore the mode when the car comes in for service or warranty claims.

Ok might be easy in Goa, but not here in Bangalore for sure.

The first thing you need to get hold is the design of the AMT Box. Then you can decide which one to plug in. Did Civic come with paddle shift ? You may need to import the paddle shift , check the Suzuki JDM models if any one has.

First find a paddle shifter kit,
Then celario has a automated manual transmission, where as the gear knob is just a switch, sending signal to marrili system.
You just take the manual mode signals and replicate to paddle shifters.

For this you need some tools, mainly a digital multimeter, where the gear knob unit is just a joystick with a x no of pins, remove the side panels and post the pin and wire configuration here, will sort u out

Thread Starter #8
First find a paddle shifter kit,
I'm looking for suggestions.

Then celario has a automated manual transmission, where as the gear knob is just a switch, sending signal to marrili system.
You just take the manual mode signals and replicate to paddle shifters.
Exactly. That's sort of what I mentioned in my first post.

For this you need some tools, mainly a digital multimeter, where the gear knob unit is just a joystick with a x no of pins, remove the side panels and post the pin and wire configuration here, will sort u out
I think I can manage that from a garage.

Top Bottom