Installing HID Bulb in Halogen Projector Housing

Thread Starter #1
Visibility is the first line of safety. We all know how stock bulbs perform and its capability hence upgrade is eminent.

I have fluidic verna 1.6 VTVT SX(O) of Oct. 2013 model which is equipped with halogen (bulb type: HB3 9005; wattage: 65) projector lamps which throws a decent light on street but not brilliant at highways. It has a sharp cut of, good spread of light and also has a hot spot but not so confined. I want to install HID bulbs in this housing but am worried how the lamps will perform. There are threads which warns about not to install HIDs in halogen projector lamps when I googled it but I wonder so much to techs, improvements, tweaks people are coming up with possibilities that anything is possible. I heard that Hyundai halogen projectors are very good quality and costly too so thought upgrade might work. Choice went to Philips HID conversion kit for HB3 9005 bulb type.

Seeking expert opinion on DOs & DON’Ts, right product for such upgrade etc.

Last edited:
You might lose warranty on the vehicle if you go for Philips HID conversion kit. Check with dealer & OEM.

Similar thread started by me to check if we can install HID in fog lamp provision. But dealer tells me officially they can only install standard fog lamps!

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/14269-fog-lamps-necessity-importance-2.html

My suggestion is to leave the standard headlights as they are & install HID in place of foglamps maybe after warranty period.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
apart from warranty and insurance issues,
go ahead. I have same bulb spec and halogen projectors on my Toyota fortuner.
I've installed 35w hid which works well.

never install hid in high beam though.

bhvm

Honoured Member
You might lose warranty on the vehicle if you go for Philips HID conversion kit. Check with dealer & OEM.

Similar thread started by me to check if we can install HID in fog lamp provision. But dealer tells me officially they can only install standard fog lamps!

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/14269-fog-lamps-necessity-importance-2.html

My suggestion is to leave the standard headlights as they are & install HID in place of foglamps maybe after warranty period.
I thought of that until I installed led headlights on my thunderbolt xuv 500.

it's a very potent option and would present less warranty issues. also fog lamps will be cheaper to replace if something goes wrong compared to headlights sealbeams.

(mods, multi quotes not working on mobile )

Thread Starter #5
apart from warranty and insurance issues,
go ahead. I have same bulb spec and halogen projectors on my Toyota fortuner.
I've installed 35w hid which works well.

never install hid in high beam though.
Thanks bhvm, I would like to hear more about it. If you can post some pictures on light throw at both low and high beam would be very helpful. One more thing I want to know is - did you had to cut the protective cap of the projector head lamp to introduce wires?

Talking about verna projector lamps it is bi-focal and I believe fortuner will have the same type too. Light throw is outstanding and better than reflectors of same wattage but the problem is while driving fast in highways and when car approaches with bright light then my light disappears and have to slow down. Few weeks back I'v upgraded the stock bulbs to Osram night breaker plus of same wattage which is much much better than stock. I am happy with this installation actually but HID is something which I always admire. As my car is equipped with projectors now I feel its worth trying [glasses]

According to some experts halogen projectors are known to have hot spot just like a torch beam so light spread is not linear but confined to a specific spots only; installing HIDs there may be multiple hot spots due to difference in light source and there is also a serious concern about glare. I also heard that installing HIDs may cause interference in smooth functioning of electronics like stereo and bluetooth connectivity - please confirm if you had faced such issues.

I'v confined my choice to Philips HID HB3 9005 conversion kit which might cost around 8k to 9k. There is also P8 HID kits but have no idea about it. Some friends also suggested me to watch out for duplicate products - pliz suggest.

Installing HID kits in head & fog lamp housing will definitely void the warranty - thats understood. Installing HID in fog lamp is strictly no unless you test it properly before hitting the road as it will definitely emit unnecessary glare and will trouble the opposite drivers.

Attached photo: Have a look at the light throw of my car with Osram night breaker plus HB3. This bulb has a 2 distinctive blue rings on tip and at bottom. Colour temp probably ~4000K

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
Answers Provided in BOLD
Thanks bhvm, I would like to hear more about it. If you can post some pictures on light throw at both low and high beam would be very helpful. One more thing I want to know is - did you had to cut the protective cap of the projector head lamp to introduce wires?

Yes, There is a small incision for passing wires. I would never have done that to my XUV 500. But If you dab a bit of Fevicol at the incision after running wires, you can stop worrying about water entry, Thats what I did.

Talking about verna projector lamps it is bi-focal and I believe fortuner will have the same type too.
Bi-Focal? Do you mean Dual barrel headlamps, Which has one projector for Low beam and 1 reflector for High beam?
Do you Mean Bi- XENON which a single projector handles high and low beam by Manipulating a shield over the lens?
A pic of your headlight may help here

Light throw is outstanding and better than reflectors of same wattage but the problem is while driving fast in highways and when car approaches with bright light then my light disappears and have to slow down. Few weeks back I'v upgraded the stock bulbs to Osram night breaker plus of same wattage which is much much better than stock. I am happy with this installation actually but HID is something which I always admire. As my car is equipped with projectors now I feel its worth trying [glasses]

The Problem is Omni Present, esp with these QUAD eye Buses and Trucks. These are having Monsterous 100w 24V bulbs and we can never match them. They're also mis-aligned and almost always in High beam mode.

I Burnt the midnight oil thinking the same, until i landed on
Blaze N Bright - LEDs for your SUV/Car/Auto or Home.BUY LED INDIA
to get some decent LED headlamps. HID is a sinking ship these days, and LED tech is the new charm. With the LEDs tied to High beam relay, I gained some respect of these Truckers and they do dip their beams for me.
(Bow for the king!!)

According to some experts halogen projectors are known to have hot spot just like a torch beam so light spread is not linear but confined to a specific spots only; installing HIDs there may be multiple hot spots due to difference in light source and there is also a serious concern about glare. I also heard that installing HIDs may cause interference in smooth functioning of electronics like stereo and bluetooth connectivity - please confirm if you had faced such issues.
There are some Minor differences in HID and Halogen projectors, but it won't matter much. I personally stood across the road and the Glare from Fortuner HID is not much worse than stock halogens. Main culprit is people installing 6000k and 8000k bulbs which have blue output and cause pain to the eye. Always go for 4300k Bulbs.
Here's my experiment-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...periments-leds-xenon-strobes-torches-etc.html

No difference in Beam Pattern even with Crazy light sources!

My fortuner does not have BT but no difference noted in CD/Mp3 use.

I'v confined my choice to Philips HID HB3 9005 conversion kit which might cost around 8k to 9k. There is also P8 HID kits but have no idea about it. Some friends also suggested me to watch out for duplicate products - pliz suggest.

Yes, Too many duplicates in Philips HID. Its better if you go for Chinese HID from reputed decor shop. They last about the same and I have'nt had a problem with them. Please stay away from 55w HID as these cause more heat and do bad things. I have posted a detailed analysis in one of the other threads here. Find it if possible.

Installing HID kits in head & fog lamp housing will definitely void the warranty - thats understood. Installing HID in fog lamp is strictly no unless you test it properly before hitting the road as it will definitely emit unnecessary glare and will trouble the opposite drivers.

It dose'nt.
I've seen people install HID in fog and its a good option. The width and Immidiate illumination more than helps in Bad roads, City traffic and Fog.

Attached photo: Have a look at the light throw of my car with Osram night breaker plus HB3. This bulb has a 2 distinctive blue rings on tip and at bottom. Colour temp probably ~4000K
Photos are not very comarable as they're taken from different postion (Cutoff went up in Osram pic) or there were some adjusments made to headlight.

Thread Starter #7
Bi-Focal? Do you mean Dual barrel headlamps, Which has one projector for Low beam and 1 reflector for High beam?
Do you Mean Bi- XENON which a single projector handles high and low beam by Manipulating a shield over the lens?
A pic of your headlight may help here
Bi-focal means a projector lamp capable of emitting both low and high beam from a static light source like HB3 9005 type of bulb (single filament);

Bi-Xenon is a bulb which has 2 light sources for both low and high beams just like multi-filament bulbs which we see in reflector headlights.

---------

Actually those pictures of mine was taken in two different occasion thats why the height is not same. That was just to compare the brightness and colour.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Bi-focal means a projector lamp capable of emitting both low and high beam from a static light source like HB3 9005 type of bulb (single filament);

Bi-Xenon is a bulb which has 2 light sources for both low and high beams just like multi-filament bulbs which we see in reflector headlights.

---------

Actually those pictures of mine was taken in two different occasion thats why the height is not same. That was just to compare the brightness and colour.
1. )you seem confused among bi xenon and others .
a bi xenon projector has static light source that constantly generates low beam while a shield blocks the light from going upwards. when high beam is engaged a magnetic solenoid flips the shield giving high beam.

2. )h 4 retrofit hid has single light source but has a small motor to move the bulb back and forth aligning it to a shield for low beam or away for high beam. this is how all h 4 halogens are converted to hid.

3.) above options are legal and technically correct. there's a 3rd dodgy option that has 1 hid bulb and a small halogen bulb on the same base . the effect was horrible glare and useless beam pattern.

Google is always your friend. scourge the candle power forums for more.

Thread Starter #9
1. )you seem confused among bi xenon and others .
a bi xenon projector has static light source that constantly generates low beam while a shield blocks the light from going upwards. when high beam is engaged a magnetic solenoid flips the shield giving high beam.
What you'v said is correct; but I was talking about bi-xenon HID bulbs and bi-focal projector lamp anatomy. Verna halogen projector is bi-focal which has a solenoid shield which control low and high beams from a static light source. I have attached a pic for better understanding.

Any idea how is P8 HIDs ? is it Chinese?

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
it could be Chinese. actually everything is Chinese including Phillips. components are made in Guangzhou and assembled right there or some other country ( to hide back end )

best thing is, they're similar in quality as long as they're ac (pwm ) ballasts. prices are near 5k for a set.

I'll suggest you should go for hid both in low beam and fogs for safe highway driving.

Top Bottom