Lots of In-Cabin Noise in Alto

Thread Starter #1
During idle, I get sound of engine very clearly inside cabin. Can anybody tellme if a worn pully bearing, waterpump or alternator bearing can emit noise inside cabin?

Using a sound meter installed on android phone, I placed it near various placed during engine running at idle speed. I found the noise was maximum when i placed it above the dashboard. It looks like noise is seeping inside using front glass.

I remember when the car was new, the engine sound was not atall noticeable inside cabin at idle speed or during driving at speed of 20-40 kmph.

I request all experts to give their opinion but please note what steps I have taken till now but still the noise is like KIR KIR KIR KIR. Like the generator run

- I already adjusted tappet on 15mm
- checked for leaks in silencer
- Door beading seems fine as noise level does not increases while moving them along door edges from inside with glass closed.

Last edited:
Re: Lots of incabin noise in Alto

Hi, Welcome to TAI. Please do tell more about your car Which model(year) is it. The bearings can make noise but should not enter the cabin.
To check the engine noise, open the hood and try to locate the noise.
Some screws holding the dashboard may be loose and the dashboard is touching the body and making the kir kir noise
Also check the AC unit for loose fitting

Thread Starter #3

it sounds like either alternator bearing, waterpump or any of the pulley. Because their is a jarring sound which comes inside when the engine is on. I will try removing belts to locate the exact one which is making the noise.

To check the alternator or waterpump noise, you can use a long screw driver and place it near the bearing and try to hear the noise via the screwdriver. While the engine is idling. TAKE CARE YOU DON'T SLIP THE SCREW DRIVER INTO THE MOVING PARTS.

BTW: Where do you live in Lucknow ?

altolover, say when your car is idling, does the sound reduce or go away when the engine is revved?

Thread Starter #6

The sound of engine covers the jarring sound when the engine is revved. Also When I sit inside any other alto, I find my alto incabin noise on the higher side as engine sound is much clear.

As Shanthanu suggested give the model year and Kms driven .This will enable the experts to provide a solution at the earliest.
You can also include information regarding what happens while the car is started.
Is it different with bonnet open ?
Is there any change with A/C on ?

The general reason can be the pully .

Thread Starter #9
My car is 2005, Alto LX and done 39000 Km on ODO. I service my car on time. No the sound does not reduces after switching on the AC. I will record the video and audio clip tomorrow and post the same.

Thread Starter #10
It looks like problem with Waterpump. I will look into it on sunday during my 40,000 service. BTW I got new tires for my car which is Michelin XM1+ for 3100 per tyre. Screenshots will follow soon.

Last edited:
XM1s are cool upgrades for the little Alto. Did you go for the OEM size or did you upsize?

Whats the update on the waterpump?

During idle, I get sound of engine very clearly inside cabin. Can anybody tellme if a worn pully bearing, waterpump or alternator bearing can emit noise inside cabin?

Using a sound meter installed on android phone, I placed it near various placed during engine running at idle speed. I found the noise was maximum when i placed it above the dashboard. It looks like noise is seeping inside using front glass.

I remember when the car was new, the engine sound was not atall noticeable inside cabin at idle speed or during driving at speed of 20-40 kmph.

I request all experts to give their opinion but please note what steps I have taken till now but still the noise is like KIR KIR KIR KIR. Like the generator run

- I already adjusted tappet on 15mm
- checked for leaks in silencer
- Door beading seems fine as noise level does not increases while moving them along door edges from inside with glass closed.

Hey
I feel same issue. my alto is of 2019 model

Please let me know have you got any solutions? if yes please let me know.

Problems that i feel is as below :

1) i feel there is noise at back side of car ( where silencer area) when car is in idle.

2) I feel that there is noise of engine acceleration when crossing 60 speed ( in 5th gear) i feel same sound in cabin. is it ok of this sound pls let me know?

3) there is dashboard noise when vibration occurs or road is bad and car move.

Top Bottom