How To Drive An Automatic Car?

Thread Starter #1
Friends ,

I am planning to buy an Automatic Car ( New Honda City ) . I have experience only in Manual Gear . Even never travelled in Automatic car .
Can I get some tips how to use Automatic Gear , how is the shifting of Gears.
If any body know any links about how to use Automatic Gear , please share it .
Thanks in advance friends.

Re: How to use Automatic Gear ?

The difference is no Clutch Pedal. You can have a relaxed drive. No tension for gear upshift, or downshift. Not to worry about vehicle moving back while starting/just moving uphill. Need to understand the different options that come with Automatic Transmission. Some automatic transmission comes with Power/Sporty, Economy/Normal modes. Automatic transmissions are 4Speed, 5Speed, 6Speed and different other variants. This is internal to transmission mechanism, and not necessary to know these things.

Automatic Transmission Liver of Toyota Fortuner.
int4.jpg

Minimum to know for driving are operation of transmission mode. P for Parking, R for Reverse, N for Neutral, and D for Drive, 2 for Second Gear, 1 for 1 Gear. The automatic gear liver may have press type switch (on liver) to slot the liver to these modes. Some vehicles may not have these switches, instead one has to keep holding the liver towards you. The liver will be operated only when both (1) security mechanism pressed-mentioned above and (2) brake pedal pressed. Once the liver slotted to the required mode, and then press the accelerator pedal to move the vehicle. Vehicles with automatic transmission will have two pedals, brake and accelerator. May have a dead pedal, depends on vehicles. Engine breaking option is available in manual transmission. Right leg must either on brake or accelerator in Automatic transmission,

Enjoy.

Thread Starter #3

P for Parking, R for Reverse, N for Neutral, and D for Drive, 2 for Second Gear, 1 for 1 Gear. Vehicles with automatic transmission will have two pedals, brake and accelerator. May have a dead pedal, depends on vehicles. Engine breaking option is available in manual transmission. Right leg must either on brake or accelerator in Automatic transmission,

Enjoy.
Thanks Mathew for a good explanation .
I understood that when we engage to D vehicle starts to move . Then why this 2 and 1 gears. When we have to put on that .
What is the use of Dead Pedal
I am planning to buy New Honda City .
Is it have also 2 and 1 gear ??

Last edited by a moderator:

How A CVT Works by TEAM Industries.mov - YouTube
A good video for your understanding .Honda City has a CVT automatic transmission.Below is a pic of CVT Transmission In new city. CVTs can be more fuel-efficient than conventional ATs (but not well-driven manual transmissions). Drive with a light foot and you should see acceptable fuel economy. On the flip side, a heavy foot will see your efficiency drop drastically, more so because it brings in the CVT's rubber-band effect & 'wasted revvs'. The CVT's ARAI rating of 17.9 kpl might be slightly higher than the MT, but don't let that misguide you

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Thanks Ankit
Can you please tell me the difference in D and S options .
How they using ?

Hii Johnie ,watch the video .D and S modes are subtly different programs designed to cope with different driving conditions .

It has choice of Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Sport, and . Drive (D) and Sport (S) options allow a choice of shifting regime that suits the driving conditions or the driver's own mood.
For relaxed and economical motoring the ratios in D mode are mapped to ensure engine speed fully maximizes engine torque.S mode provides maximum acceleration by allowing the engine to reach speeds at which it is providing peak power

According to me and net ![:)].Hope it helps you

Then why this 2 and 1 gears. When we have to put on that .
What is the use of Dead Pedal
I am planning to buy New Honda City .
Is it have also 2 and 1 gear ??
D for Drive can be normal or economical mode. Some have option by another button for Power or Sporty mode. The picture in the above previous post is having 'S'.

Different vehicles have different configurations. What I have explained is about Toyota Fortuner Automatic. Fortuner Automatics is having additional 2, and 1 gears. These are really useful in Kerala conditions (I use it frequently). 2 means the automatic gear will start with 1 and goes upto gear 2. More power for uphill. 1 mean, manual first gear. The gear will not move to second or higher. I got a steep climb to reach my house from tar road. I engage 1-gear, and it takes sweetly to destination.

Dead Pedal is a platform to keep the left foot. What I have showed is the transmission controls of Fortuner (SUV) vehicle. SUV controls may be different to cars. Hence, may not have those controls.

The S mode in found in the Honda City is basically manual mode and one can control the car using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

The system in Audi cars (all VAGs really) is that when you are in D, slide the gear lever to the left. It enters manual mode. Push the gear lever front to upshift a gear and push it back to downshift a gear. There is a clutch ready for either move so it saves shift times hence its the dual clutch technology.

Thanks Type R for quick reply-
Hoping that you will clear the related doubts too-
1.Suppose i shift into Manual mode,say the gear is in 1st gear ,and if i shift at 2k rpm will it get upshifted ,any chances of mishap,i mean gear jerks.(When i drove POLO TSI,my friend told in S mode,the shift occurs only after 3k,though i was scared to try it in S mode.)
2.Downshifting is also done in accordance to RPM,if so at what RPM
3.If in S mode ,if we forget to shift (Up/Down),will the system automatically shift ?

Thanks Type R for quick reply-
Hoping that you will clear the related doubts too-
1.Suppose i shift into Manual mode,say the gear is in 1st gear ,and if i shift at 2k rpm will it get upshifted ,any chances of mishap,i mean gear jerks.(When i drove POLO TSI,my friend told in S mode,the shift occurs only after 3k,though i was scared to try it in S mode.)
2.Downshifting is also done in accordance to RPM,if so at what RPM
3.If in S mode ,if we forget to shift (Up/Down),will the system automatically shift ?
1. it will shift. no gear jerks or anything. I have driven Polo GT TSi extensively with love and abusively also. No issues.

2. I think if it falls below 2K rpm then it will auto downshift. The beauty of S mode is that it holds the gear for longer when revving to the redline.

3. Yes it will automatically upshift near redline. And it will automatically downshift if it falls under a certain RPM.

Friends ,

I am planning to buy an Automatic Car ( New Honda City ) . I have experience only in Manual Gear . Even never travelled in Automatic car .
Can I get some tips how to use Automatic Gear , how is the shifting of Gears.
If any body know any links about how to use Automatic Gear , please share it .
Thanks in advance friends.
Dear JW (my brand on the rocks)[evil],

I will answer the basic and most important change you must practice, once you change from a MT to AT car is, not to lift your left leg/foot to apply the clutch, as 99% of the initial days you will do, you will hit the brake and can have a panic situation.

Apply the brake with your right foot, as normally, keep practicing even when stationary, to get the hang of driving an AT.

All the best

Vinod Nair

Mr.TYPE-R

You had neately cleared my queries on 3 scenarios ,adding one more point with my previous 3rd question(Don't consider me annoying )
-You had mentioned it will clearely auto shift if the rpm reaches redline or falls below rpm,the mode will be still in S right?We can continue the manual operation without change of mode right?

Mr.TYPE-R

You had neately cleared my queries on 3 scenarios ,adding one more point with my previous 3rd question(Don't consider me annoying )
-You had mentioned it will clearely auto shift if the rpm reaches redline or falls below rpm,the mode will be still in S right?We can continue the manual operation without change of mode right?
S mode has no manual mode. Manual mode is beside D mode. So S mode has no manual mode. S mode will be automatic only but it will hold the gear for longer.

Top Bottom