Maruti Alto LX Problems & Modification Suggestions

Thread Starter #1
hi guys,

the car in question is Alto lx 2012 with 14000 on odo. Its pre worshipped, last owner was a villager and dosen't afford cost of increasing rate of petrol day by day so sold off.

car was containing very small dents and scratches which were rectified by us on 2nd day be brought her home. Perivious owner didn't use ac for getting better fuel efficiency. and for this he has taken out ac belt so ac was not working for a long period (about 8 months or so).
after getting car, she was serviced by MASS and all set to roll..[clap]
i'm very new in car world and know almost nothing about cars.
Problems:
1. ac nob : pic is taken from rakeshkn thread (hope he don't mind.) mods if its inappropriate then please delete.

this might be because no use of ac for such a long time. by the way AC is real ChILL and blowers are powerful too. I didn't notice any power down with AC on.
2.(sometimes) while shifting to reverse don't know if i do something wrong but reverse does not engage swiftly and gear not engage result to grrrrrrr type sound. it there some problem or problem lies in me only?
3. How to Clean Car floor?
this sounds stupid but i'm not really pissed off when some one enters in it with boots containing lot of dirt. its really tough to clean those mats daily. any tips on it? please [frustration]

these are only problems till now. please suggest for ac is it normal in alto or what.

now come mods i have planned to do:
1. seat covers:
i hate present seat covers and would to like this type :
(pics are taken from team bhp copyright to respected owner)
2. is it possible to sweep steering of alto k10 in it?
3. headlights are not of any use and highbeam through is too low. what upgrades suggested?
4. Fog lamps can i get in MASS?
5. i'm thinking for power windows on all four doors with auto roll once locked with central locking. it would be great if switch lighten up in night too.
6. body colored bumpers. (its white)
7. reasonable type upgrade? what size so that it dosen't scrap body with 5 on-board with luggage around 50 to 80 k.g in boot (that's maximum i have loaded it)[:D]

enough for right now. it would be great if you guyz tell me approx price and place for these in delhi or ncr or raipur/bhilai.
thank you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem Solutions:
1. ac knob: Your front screen defogger doesn't work. Please get it rectified from MASS, otherwise if visibility gets affected, you will not be able to drive properly.
In Alto, the recirculating air lever requires quite amount of power to operate, that's normal.
2. Reverse gear doesn't have synchronizer and hence the problem in any car. Alto does have it more. It's normal, no need to show to MASS.
3. I never clean my car. :tongue: I have hired a guy to do it for me. However, to clean it you have to accumulate all the dirts in small pockets in floor near four doors. From there take the dirts out or use a vacuum cleaner. BTW: Do not forget to keep floor mat as well as foot map to save your carpet.
Mods Advise:
1. Take art leather seat covers from AutoFoam. They are branded, very good quality and would cost you around 5k. I would advise you to go for Black/Grey color which match with your interior and also would be easily maintainable. My art leather black seat covers are like brand new even after 7+ yrs of use!
2. Steering wheel sweep - no idea. But my sense says that it won't be possible.
3. I personally don't like to tinker with factory fitted lights. Alto headlights I believe is of acceptable quality. Please use for some time and after 2-3 months' of time if you still feel that you need to change the headlight, you may change it from any good accessories shop (MASS won't do it).
4. MASS fog lamps are available, but good accessories shop will give you the same or better quality material at a lesser price.
5. Don't install after-market power windows even from MASS, it gives too much problem. Be happy with manual type windows only.
6. Body colored bumpers - contact MASS. They will do it for you real neat. But does an alto really deserve so much of spent on bumper? I think not and my alto Lx has black colored bumpers.
7. Why tyre upgrade right away? Once you drive the car for around 25k-30k, it will require tyre change. Think about it at that time. I am saying this since tyre change is inevitable and hence why to change before your current tyres require change to prevent longer braking distance.
Good accessories shop, I know in Kolkata which would be of no use to you. Hence, not answering this question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Great thanks sambit_mech for replying all quires in one go. really appreciate it.
I have told Dad to look up for it in next service. Car is not with me right now, have planned a long road trip in feb to bring her home.., with me.
And Fog lamps are on my list as soon as i got car as my dad thinks mods are just waste of money [anger]. so he is not interested in putting them up. I'll do it.

I was thinking for Tyre upgrade for better road grip. and also thinking for alloys, But dad suggested that wait until present tyres have grip then change them, present tyres are good for about 20k km..

And Fog lamps are on my list as soon as i got car as my dad thinks mods are just waste of money [anger]. so he is not interested in putting them up. I'll do it.

I was thinking for Tyre upgrade for better road grip. and also thinking for alloys, But dad suggested that wait until present tyres have grip then change them, present tyres are good for about 20k km..
I also think in your dad's light. I too feel that many Mods are usually waste of money like car fidge, light near foot-rest etc. etc. They do look good but won't fetch you money during resale and on top that I personally don't want to invest in a depreciating asset like car. But fog lamps are essential, if you really drive through fog when you should have front as well as rear fog lamps.

Alto has good road grip. So don't waste your money till current tyres require change.

Last edited:
My replies

hi guys,

the car in question is Alto lx 2012 with 14000 on odo. Its pre worshipped, last owner was a villager and dosen't afford cost of increasing rate of petrol day by day so sold off.

car was containing very small dents and scratches which were rectified by us on 2nd day be brought her home. Perivious owner didn't use ac for getting better fuel efficiency. and for this he has taken out ac belt so ac was not working for a long period (about 8 months or so).
after getting car, she was serviced by MASS and all set to roll..[clap]
i'm very new in car world and know almost nothing about cars.
Problems:
1. ac nob : pic is taken from rakeshkn thread (hope he don't mind.) mods if its inappropriate then please delete.

this might be because no use of ac for such a long time. by the way AC is real ChILL and blowers are powerful too. I didn't notice any power down with AC on.

Sorry I dont know about this problem.

2.(sometimes) while shifting to reverse don't know if i do something wrong but reverse does not engage swiftly and gear not engage result to grrrrrrr type sound. it there some problem or problem lies in me only?

Simple, whenever you have issues with the reverse gear, just press and hold the clutch then slot the lever into first gear and then to neutral and reverse. It will surely slot without an issue.

3. How to Clean Car floor?
this sounds stupid but i'm not really pissed off when some one enters in it with boots containing lot of dirt. its really tough to clean those mats daily. any tips on it? please [frustration]

Avoid eating inside the car (especially masala puri/ any gravy type food inside the car). If its raining and you sure to get some mud in your shoes then use newspaper, below the mat and change it everyday or switch to PVC flooring.

these are only problems till now. please suggest for ac is it normal in alto or what.

now come mods i have planned to do:
1. seat covers:
i hate present seat covers and would to like this type :
(pics are taken from team bhp copyright to respected owner)

Black coloured although last long, they tend to get heated up when car is parked under sun. So choose something like grey with black combo

2. is it possible to sweep steering of alto k10 in it?
Not sure about the K10 steering, but type2 wagonR steering wheel should be a direct fit. Alto and type1 wagonR had the same steering wheel (not so nice)

3. headlights are not of any use and highbeam through is too low. what upgrades suggested?
Add 100/90 wiring kit + relay + 100/90 bulbs and adjust the headlamp leveling screws to the desired level

Click below to see more pics about the wiring kit.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-15.html

4. Fog lamps can i get in MASS?
Skip Mass ones, they are too small and I doubt if they will be sufficient while driving in fog. Try bigger after market ones with seperate wiring harness and switch (refer to this pic below from Varun's 800 thread) Mount the fog lamps as low as possible.

5. i'm thinking for power windows on all four doors with auto roll once locked with central locking. it would be great if switch lighten up in night too.

Watch out for the quality of power window switches, usually the after market switches are not that good. opt for extra (spare) switches too.
one of my friend had it installed in his alto - approx price 9K (4 door + auto roll u
p)

Wagonr0811.jpg

Wagonr0812.jpg

6. body colored bumpers. (its white)

Alto unless it has alloys, does not look good with while body coloured bumpers (purely my opinion), so I suggest skip this mod.

7. reasonable type upgrade? what size so that it dosen't scrap body with 5 on-board with luggage around 50 to 80 k.g in boot (that's maximum i have loaded it)[:D]

Why replace something that doesn't need one immediately? skip it, as far as existing tyres are good. Drive the car for atleast 5000kms and then do any major upgrade like tyres etc, get to know the car in & out, then invest in it.

enough for right now. it would be great if you guyz tell me approx price and place for these in delhi or ncr or raipur/bhilai.
thank you.
Since I stay in Bangalore, I have no idea about good places to get these works done in Jaipur. Most of them can be a simple DIY.

Thread Starter #6
after reading valuable suggestions of you guys, i have skipped alloys, power windows for now.

How much 100/90 wiring kit + relay + 100/90 bulbs cost? Do MASS do such modifications?
also any upgrade for horn? skoda type.

i dont eat in car but floor got dirty when person get enter in car with those dirty shoes.

Bosch = 650 (wiring harness) + 200 (relay) + 60 (ceramic bulb holders) + 300 (max for philips 100/90bulbs) --> approx prices

Hella and Roots are also good brands.

The "pom pom" horns you are referring to are "Bosch Symphony", they cost 600/- + 90/- for horn relay. Not a good idea, as they get permanently damaged in some cases due to water wash/rain water splashing. Also that horn is loud inside the cabin and less effective on highways compared to the normal ones. They also suck some extra battery power.

Try PVC flooring, there are pics and threads in TAI about it.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/accessories-modifications/90681d1367487978t-vinyl-car-flooring-figo-dsc_1062-medium.jpg

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/accessories-modifications/90682d1367487978t-vinyl-car-flooring-figo-p1220083.jpg

Try PVC flooring

Bosch = 650 (wiring harness) + 200 (relay) + 60 (ceramic bulb holders) + 300 (max for philips 100/90bulbs) --> approx prices

Hella and Roots are also good brands.

The "pom pom" horns you are referring to are "Bosch Symphony", they cost 600/- + 90/- for horn relay. Not a good idea, as they get permanently damaged in some cases due to water wash/rain water splashing. Also that horn is loud inside the cabin and less effective on highways compared to the normal ones. They also suck some extra battery power.

Try PVC flooring, there are pics and threads in TAI about it.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/accessories-modifications/90681d1367487978t-vinyl-car-flooring-figo-dsc_1062-medium.jpg

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/attachments/accessories-modifications/90682d1367487978t-vinyl-car-flooring-figo-p1220083.jpg

Thread Starter #9
I have got car at home here, A short traveloge is pending..
Let me share some pics for your veiwing pleasure..
02032014055.jpg

02032014049.jpg

02032014048.jpg

02032014075.jpg

02032014046.jpg

02032014074.jpg

My Car's left hand side headlight's reflector is damaged by rats, can we get only reflector or some kind of jugaad? i was planning for 90/100 bulbs but dropped because of this.. According to service guys, new headlight will cost Rs 1000/-, Let it worked, and when whole assembly will get damaged then change it..
02032014043.jpg
02032014044.jpg
02032014045.jpg
02032014052.jpg
02032014053.jpg

uneven panal gaps and scratch on left side bumper :
02032014051.jpg
02032014052.jpg
02032014053.jpg
02032014054.jpg
02032014055.jpg

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
Wipers having rust on them...

02032014047.jpg

02032014058.jpg

02032014066.jpg
All Four doors are having rust in lower side due to washing and not drying properly, Dad suggested to spray some body paint on it.

02032014042.jpg

02032014057.jpg

02032014059.jpg

02032014060.jpg

02032014061.jpg

02032014062.jpg

02032014064.jpg

02032014065.jpg

2 things i seriously want to upgrade are :
headlgihts (really have to stop when oncoming stupid vichles didn't low their beam, i wanna tit for tat.. for such stupids)

And a good horn as present one is not loud enough.

My daily running is very low, Office is just about 1 KM from house, total running for a day is just about 7 - 8 KM per day, How to properly maintain car with such low running, i'm prepared with low milage around 10 KMPL.

02032014067.jpg

02032014068.jpg

02032014069.jpg

02032014070.jpg

02032014071.jpg

02032014072.jpg

02032014073.jpg
By the way on recent trip from delhi to here, she returned about 21 KMPL with 30 % AC and about 19 KMPL with bad and ghat section roads with average speed arounf 50-70 KMPH

Hi friend!
for that skoda type horn ,you can go for Roots Windtone around rs. 600. Very good quality sound. But need to install carefully on proper place for good results.
And for headlights, i am using Philips Rally 130/100 watts kit and satisfied with the result.[:)]

Top Bottom