What if Temperature Sensor Doesn't Work? How To Find It?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys,
We know that in some modern cars, there's no temp gauge and it's all dealt with a single alarm (?) and visual tell-tale. Now, assume that the temp sensor goes kaput, what will be the reaction of the car's ECU? Even while using the gauge, during the failure conditions, will the temperature gauge show a zero (way below normal) or high (shooting up..!)? Or in other words, how will we get to know that the temp sensor has gone bad?

Re: What if the temperature sensor doesn't work? How to find it?

Let expert comment more on this. But what I know is if the temp falls above certain limit then the red light is always switched ON Or there is a alarm which starts. In this scenario you have no option but to stop the car wherever you are

Re: What if the temperature sensor doesn't work? How to find it?

Hey guys,
We know that in some modern cars, there's no temp gauge and it's all dealt with a single alarm (?) and visual tell-tale. Now, assume that the temp sensor goes kaput, what will be the reaction of the car's ECU? Even while using the gauge, during the failure conditions, will the temperature gauge show a zero (way below normal) or high (shooting up..!)? Or in other words, how will we get to know that the temp sensor has gone bad?
I understand that your question makes sense but I think ASS people will take care of such issues if happens.
What I can say is ECU should be intelligent enough to detect the such Temp Sensor issue and throw corressponding error code. Example:
P0128 - Coolant temperature below operating range - Explanation: low coolant level - Probable cause: faulty CTS, faulty thermostat
P0125 - Coolant temperature always low - Explanation: powertrain control module verifies the engine is a proper operating temperature - Probable cause: Check coolant level, Thermostat defective, ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor defective

Thread Starter #4
@Sambit_mech, yeah. you're right. The ECU will be scanned (I believe!) during service. But, that makes me think of another problem too.
What will happen on a car with failed temp sensor when the engine temp raises to max during driving? How do we know this before smoke and engine boils - probably in a long drive?

@Sambit_mech, yeah. you're right. The ECU will be scanned (I believe!) during service. But, that makes me think of another problem too.
What will happen on a car with failed temp sensor when the engine temp raises to max during driving? How do we know this before smoke and engine boils - probably in a long drive?
You should not "think" about the problem you have identified, but you should really be worried about that. You will never know when any other engine part fails and what will the fate of you and others inside the cabin. Please visit ASS ASAP and fix the issue. Do not wait for service date, and do not use the car till you don't get time to visit ASS.

Top Bottom