Noise From Suspension System Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Still the sound (hitting sound of two metal bars) from front suspension system exists.
Two technicains checked the front suspension system and commented;
1. Tie end rods - ok
2. All rubber bushes - ok
3. Rack ends - seems ok
4. Shock absorbers - ok

There was a plastic screw on the steering rack for adjustment. The plastic screw was tightened and fixed. It was bit difficult to turn the steering wheel, but the sound dissappeared for sometime. Now it started again.

Technicain says that he has to tighten the srew again making it more difficult to turn the steering wheel to stop the sound.

Any idea what can this sound be?

Its not from the suspension I Guess, as you are saying the plastic bolt it is called as Damper which is located on the steering box.

My car too has the same noise when going on pot holes, rough roads.
Just try to shake/ turn the steering at stand still check if it has some play ? If yes then its the noise from steering rack. You can get it overhauled but cant comment how many days it would last.

Final solution is change the rack, costing 3k.

the issue is with the steering rack. overhaul is not a solution. to be on the safer side, it's advisable to change the steering rack.may cost you around 3500 to 4000

Thread Starter #4
Its not from the suspension I Guess, as you are saying the plastic bolt it is called as Damper which is located on the steering box.

My car too has the same noise when going on pot holes, rough roads.
Just try to shake/ turn the steering at stand still check if it has some play ? If yes then its the noise from steering rack. You can get it overhauled but cant comment how many days it would last.

Final solution is change the rack, costing 3k.
Varun, there is no play when turning the steering wheel.

But seems like sound from steering rack.

How often a car (maruti 800) need to change the steering rack?

Thread Starter #5
Finally I found the answer.

Its the damper that gave me the headache.

The damper was stuck inside the rack. My mechanic tightened the plastic bolt and situation has gotten worse.

I repaired the damper and now the sound disappeared. [clap]

Last edited:

Top Bottom