Ford Fiesta ZXi A/C Fan Problem

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

This Saturday, when I was returning back home (approx. a 100km drive), I stopped temporarily next to a shop to purchase something. I did not switch off the engine as my uncle was inside the car and the shop was just a road-side one.

As I was approaching the shop, I heard a big sound - sound of the fan running heavily and there was a lot of smoke coming off from the bonnet. I rushed to the car and switched off the engine. Uncle of course panicked a lot since he was in the car. The fan turned off as soon as I switched off the engine.

Apparently, I opened the bonnet and found some green coloured oil on the fan fins. I imagined it to be the cooling oil which might have leaked from some nearby hosing. Called my mechanic whom I've been servicing the vehicle for quite some time and he arrived very soon. After taking a look and switching On the engine, he tried to rotate the fan by hand and again there was lot of smoke as soon as the fan started running. I couldn't see whether the fan started running since I was in the car, but heard the sound of fan trying to start. He said the fan got struck and due to difference in pressure, the cooling oil hosing got loose and the compressor oil had come out. Of course, not the entire cooling oil but it seemed like the machine was spitting some oil when trying to switch on the fan.

Later as per his advice, switched off AC and drove to the garage. Everything was normal. He looked for the issue, called me and said that there was some problem with the wiring of the fan and that is why it did not switch on. Later since lot of compressor oil were lost, he advised for a complete AC service. Since the car had run 55k kms and 4 yrs, I thought it's wise to go for it. After opening everything he informed that the cooling coil had gone weak and better to change. I took a decision to change it since I've read about the cooling coil issues in lot of fiestas. But, I've never faced any cooling issues or whatsoever till date. Touchwood.

Today after a test drive, he called me saying, the fan is not rotating, fuse knocked off twice when the fan starts and after inspection says there could be something wrong with motor. He is advising a replacement of the fan module.

I'm confused with this. He says overhauling is not possible. Other than this, he informed that he had checked all the hoses and couplings and all are okay to go.

Do you guys think I should check something else also? Now looks like the entire AC system + fan is serviced! The problem is I take her for long trips often and don't want to get caught in middle of nowhere. .

Btw, the cooling coil - 15k + fan module - 7k + regular service is the split up.

Thread Starter #2
Okay now, since no one replied..

The issue was drilled down to a short inside the fan. The fan was in fact not running at all. Got a new fan and things are okay now. Cooling coil change was optional one but got it done.

Thread Starter #3
Guys, after having the cooling coil and hose changed + gas topup, whenever the ac is on, there is a distinct hissing noise continuously from the ac. This was not there before, at least not this prominent. My mechanic said it's normal but i'm not convinced. The sound is there all the time when ac is on. Any suggestions?

This sound is because the a/c gas is pumped into the cooling coil with high pressure. Since your a/c is refilled and the cooling would be more effective than before the compressor cuts off frequently hence you would hear the sound every time is turned off and on.

had similar problem when my previous m800 when ac gas was refilled. i used to get some noise like a monsoon wind gusting through the ac vent. this sound was there for 2 months and it vanished after that

Top Bottom