Figo - Inconsistent Sound Quality (Output) from Stock ICE

Thread Starter #1
Guyz - I am back again with another strange, unique and inexplicable issue. Let's see how many around here is able to find a fix for it!

By seeing the thread title, I am sure many would jump in to bombard me to accuse on Figo's Music System. But just hear me out. As many of you must know, Figo comes with a Best-in-Class Audio System for a OE one, at least, I have not seen a better one. Not that it's THE BEST and doesn't need an upgrade at all, but probably more than enough for a OE one. Of course, a true audiophile won't be contented, yet won't complain either. I am not an audiophile, but want music in right mixture with pleasing quality. So, I am much happy with it's output and feel it's just right for my taste.

Now, straight to the issue... I really don't know how to put this across, let me try my best.

The sound quality is generally good to great and especially with USB Playback, which is OE again. However, at times, I feel the sound quality isn't consistent. Maybe deteriorating or less punchy or not so crisp or clear enough as it normally be. Confused? The sharpness in the music/vocals felt to be attenuated or probably flat and so the bass/punches too. Yes, the Volume, Eq. and all other setting remains the same. To make it more mysterious, it gets back to normal when I format / reload the songs in the Pen Drive and play it again. But, at the same time this issue would occur again, when I disconnect the pen drive, like earlier. So, after it's disconnected / connected to Laptop / reconnected to HU, it either works wonder or bad. Any clue till now? Or gone mad???!!! Again, this is very very minute for a stranger to notice, but I could as I have been with it day in & out. Moreover, unfortunately, I am quite sensitive to sound and smell [frustration]

Here are my thought:
  • Most of the songs are in 230-320 kbps / 44.1 Khz sampling. So, sound quality isn't a question and digital files won't deteriorate. Moreover, the same files play well and dull in different situations. So, nothing about files.
  • Tried different Pen Drives (8 GB), it works the same. So, Pen Drive issue ruled out as well.
  • Formatted the Pen Drives in different formats like FAT32, ExFAT, NTFS etc.
  • Loose connection in USB Cable? Possible, but tried shaking / pressing it during playback, no differences / disturbance felt. So, I think, it's working fine.
  • Speakers? All the speakers were changed once and the rear ones twice due to the Squeaking Noise issue I reported earlier (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...es-unsolved-dealers-any-brand.html#post307707). Also, once I reported that the RHS is felt to be slightly lower than the LHS and they tried fixing it by replacing the speakers. Though both the issues (Squeaking & RHS) weren't solved, the speakers were just changed. So, I won't blame the speakers.
  • So then HU? Could be... Remember the RHS issue? Even if the RHS isn't working together with LHS, it can deteriorate the sound quality. Isn't? But, if that be the case, here comes the most critical part of the issue... How to demonstrate this to the FASS as the issue isn't permanent or on/off. Moreover, making FASS to understand an evident issue itself a nightmare, then imagine an issue of this kind! [lol]

I am sure it's a rare kind of issue for one to experience. But, if someone as lucky as me, can throw some light. Or different views to check on other parameters or at least, a best way to get this explained to FASS. Sorry guys, it's a bit tricky, but that's nothing for TAIgers I believe [;)]

Thread Starter #3
Why not try the same by playing same songs by CD / Aux ?

Also try getting a lower capacity pen drive ..
Thanks for the suggestion Varun. As far as I experienced, the sound quality in Figo HU is USB > CD > BT > AUX > Radio. So, it won't help in trying other sources as USB is the best of all. However, the RHS issue I mentioned was much apparent when I was using BT earlier. It's not that bad with USB.

Will try that option of getting lower capacity pen drive. Thanks.

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dear Figoian

One thing is very clear that the USB flash pen drive gets bad or unstable sectors either at the time of reading or loading a data say a music file.

Reading by your stock HU, and Transfer / loading of data by your laptop. Agreed?

Your laptop may not be the reason as every time re-formatting the pen drive and transferring the data from your source (laptop) makes the songs play well.

My analysis pin points to your stock HU.

Every time you remove the pen drive, it corrupts the USB file sector.

It may be due to inconsistent & improper power supply /voltage at the time of disconnection.

To substantiate my findings, I would request you to try your pen drive in another FIGO,

I am sure it would never occur.

Dr MUDHAN

Thread Starter #5
The idea of sharing this thread with you was, being pretty sure that will get some informative response and it does [:D] Thanks for the response Dr.

One thing is very clear that the USB flash pen drive gets bad or unstable sectors either at the time of reading or loading a data say a music file.
I have tried 2 different Pen Drives, and the issue is persistent. However, it's inconsistent in both. Means, SQ varies only at times and not all times.

Every time you remove the pen drive, it corrupts the USB file sector.

It may be due to inconsistent & improper power supply /voltage at the time of disconnection.
So, be that the case, any idea on the possible fixture?

To substantiate my findings, I would request you to try your pen drive in another FIGO,

I am sure it would never occur.

Dr MUDHAN
I would, surely when I get a chance. However, the core issue is, the issue don't show up all the time. What if it would work well when I try it in another Figo like it does in mine and again, it may not work well if I try another time?

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
So, be that the case, any idea on the possible fixture?

However, the core issue is, the issue don't show up all the time. What if it would work well when I try it in another Figo like it does in mine and again, it may not work well if I try another time?
Yes. Figoian.
This is the only way:

1. Take two pen drives, reformat it to fat 32 file format, copy some & same good songs in both the pen drive. You use ‘A’ pen drive for few days and give the ‘B’ to your friend who owns FORD FIGO or to a reliable person @ FORD ASS and check. Wait for your chance, the moment you get the problem check with other.

and / or

2. Check the voltage with multimeter @ USB holder of the HU. Study while the car running, at stop, USB switched off mode while disconnecting. compare the test reading between you and another FF H.U.

If you suspect anything as we discussed, the HU may need servicing.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Yes. Figoian.
2. Check the voltage with multimeter @ USB holder of the HU. Study while the car running, at stop, USB switched off mode while disconnecting. compare the test reading between you and another FF H.U.

If you suspect anything as we discussed, the HU may need servicing.
Sounds like a plan. I will try this. Thanks Dr.

Top Bottom