Power Steering Upgrade

Thread Starter #1
Hi Team,
I own a 2005 Alto LX which has cloaked 1.5 Lakh kilometers. The biggest mistake I did while purchasing the car was not to opt for the power steering version. I really maintain the car very well and will be keeping it. Now I really feel the need of a power steering and had some questions in mind. I hope to get great valuable inputs here.
The questions I have :
1. Is it advisable to install a power steering at this time where the vehicle is 8 years old?
2.How much it would cost?
3. Is it wise to purchase a new MGP assembly? or should I look in the after market.
4. Is it possible to fit any other vehicles power steering?

Hi Amit,

Welcome to TAI. Glad to know you own India's best selling hatchback!

Alto has Electronic power steering (EPS), to install this a few parts needs to be changed and some wiring work is required. Our member Varun has it in his M800,

Click here to know more
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5044-my-modified-maruti-800-a-79.html

New setup costs approx. 30K (total set up)
Used one from Scrapyard/garage will cost you: about 15 - 17K (total set up)

Steering column, power steering motor, ECM for this motor, - these are the parts you need to procure.
Unless you plan to retain the car for the next 5+years, do not invest money in this upgrade.
Other option:
Getting Matiz power steering installed in your car, it is a lengthy process, some claim to have done it, I am yet to see a functioning one though.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/3033-advantages-electronic-power-steering-vs-hydraulic-power-steering.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for you valuable input on this. 30K seems to be too much of money to be invested. I am having second thoughts now.

Yeah Amit, instead you can simply upsize the existing tyres, that will reduce the load on the steering as wider tyres are easier to turn (even at standstill).

Top Bottom