Removing Anti-Roll Bar on FWD cars

Thread Starter #1
One of my friends has bought a Ikon 1.6 Petrol (Silver colour, 2003)which is in near mint condition. I drove the car for about 5kms and loved every bit of it, however I did notice that the suspension was smooth and body roll was a bit more than usua Ikons. Later I noticed that the front Anti Roll Bar was missing/removed.

As soon as I reached home, I managed to drive another Ikon 1.6 (the green one I had posted earlier), the suspension was a bit stiff on pot holes and almost nill body roll, this one had the Anti Roll bar.

My doubts:

1. Does removing the Anti-roll bar (ARB) have any adverse affects on the car?
  2. I am planning to remove the ARB from the M800 as my usage is very little yet is mostly on pot holes roads, so I want a softer suspension action, is that correct?
  3. Will a car like Ikon/M800 topple if driven as usual in tight turns etc without ARB?
  4. Any affect on anything related to steering like alignment/tyres etc?

All inputs are welcome

1) Does removing the Anti-roll bar (ARB) have any adverse affects on the car?
2) I am planning to remove the ARB from the M800 as my usage is very little yet is mostly on pot holes roads, so I want a softer suspension action, is that correct?
3) Will a car like Ikon/M800 topple if driven as usual in tight turns etc without ARB?
4) Any affect on anything related to steering like alignment/tyres etc?
1) Yes, removing ARB will increase the body roll and affect the handling performance during high speed cornering.
2) You can't. In M800/Alto/Eon it is not only ARB, it is a structural support for the suspension link. Whereas in Ikon/Fiesta/City/Swift there is a separate Front suspension member available and the lower link is 2 point mounted (in M800 lower link is single point mounted to the body)
3) Possibilities are less
4) Steering response during cornering will be affected

Thread Starter #4
Mr.Boss, I dint understand the 2ndpoint you have mentioned. Do you mean to say that rod/ARB in my 800 is a aboslute must part of suspension?

Mr.Boss, I dint understand the 2ndpoint you have mentioned. Do you mean to say that rod/ARB in my 800 is a aboslute must part of suspension?
Yes. I don't have the snaps right now to explain in detail, will try to post tomorrow.
In M800 ARB does the additional job of taking the longitudinal load from lower arm (without ARB the lower arm will be free to move in longitudinal direction, just lift your car and observe for better understanding)

Here is just a comparison between Single point Body mounted lower arm type and 2 point suspension member mounter lower arm type suspension systems.

Hope this should clarify the function of ARB in M800

Chery - Copy.jpg

Punto - Copy.jpg

Thread Starter #7
Thanks a lot, I got it, in a car like M800 (single point) removal of ARB results in more pressure on the lower arm mounting point and will lead to fore and aft movement of the arm. I am skipping that idea completely.

Top Bottom