Maruti Dzire VXI Gasket Gone Due To Over Heating

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

MY Maruti Dezire VXI car is just 6 months old and has broken down due to overheating. Have sent to the workshop. They say that rat has bitten the pipe going to the coolent.

The workshop guys say that the Gasket is damaged and to be changed and charging me Rs.12000 for it. I have already paid 7.5 L for the new car and now donot want to spend 12k for no fault of mine. Please help

Re: Maruti Dezire VXI Gasket gone due to over heating

Dear stanleyfer,

The head gasket blows when the engine temperature shoots up beyond the acceptable threshold. If the coolant pipe was chewed by a rat, the cooling system would fail and the head gasket would blow. The Dzire doesn't come with engine temperature gauge and hence its almost impossible to know that the engine is overheating until it's too late. Have you seen the pipe that is supposedly chewed by the rat? Does it really appear like that?

I think you should be able to claim insurance for this incident. Call up your insurance agent and ask him if its possible.

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #3

Thanks for your reply Sam

Yes, The pipe was positively chewed by Rat. Maruti dealer (Shivam Autozone) said that Maruti is not ready to due the repair under AMC and will charge 12k for it. What your suggest?

Well, the incident has certainly not happened due to a technical/quality issue and so Maruti are justified in saying that they shall not cover it under AMC. As I suggested in my previous post, do try the insurance route. Your other bet is to escalate the issue with Maruti customer care - you never know, maybe your pleading and insistence would work.

I just checked Dezire and Swift,both have engine temperature gauge.Is it absent from VXI version?
Regards,
Aneesh.

Last edited:

Thanks for the homework. My bad. The Dzire comes with a temperature gauge. Sorry!!:stupid:

Thread Starter #7
I visited the showroom yesterday. They are charging 7k for hardware and 5k for labor. I tried convincing them to wave off the labor as it is in AMC. They said they will try. I also asked them if insurance would cover it and they said it will not. I have written to Maruti yesterday but have not received any response yet. Any more suggestion would be appreciated.

Call up the insurance company and speak to them. Just out of curiosity, didn't you see the temperature gauge rising before the gasket decided to call it a day?

Thread Starter #9
Looks like my driver overlooked it as he was in a hurry to reach my family members home from Goa to Mumbai. I will have to pay for his fault.

Top Bottom