1995 Maruti 800 Restoration - Seeking Assistance

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

First, I am completely new to the four wheels while still enjoying two wheels. Recently bagged a 95 M800 for mastering the driving skills. Initial idea was to learn and to scrap it after 6 months but somehow developed a liking for this wonderful mill. So decided to restore it to the best possible condition.

Initial Issues in observed in the car

1. Steering not stable. Have to tilt it slightly left to keep the car running straight. Also the steering is very tight and difficult to handle.
2. Absolutely no brakes.
3. Headlights completely useless in illumination.
4. Highly tight clutch.
5. LHS front door not closing completely. A inch of gap is there on top of the door.
6. Several leakages in the front seat area of the car and esp literally water is pouring below the dashboard during rains but cant find any holes over there.
7. The Self starter is making too much noise while starting.
8. The temperature and fuel gauge is working but the the speedometer is not working.
9. Rusting on several places of the car.
10. Lots of free play from the gear stick.
11. Terribly bad interiors.
12. All glasses are dull and not so clear.
13. Engine is in good condition but the performance is not up to the mark.
14. But can find slight traces of white smoke while accelerating too much in neutral.
15. Lots of noise during ride in the interiors.
16. Parking brakes not working.
17. Main door lock is not working properly.
18. Ride is little bumpy.
19. Low FE, close to 10kmpl.

The problem is I cannot find a proper mechanic in Chennai to fix up the things and they are too pricey. For instance, the mechanics are quoting 3000RS for rectifying brakes as it has lathe work to be done. I am sure this will cost within 1000RS.

I would also like to repaint the car so that to make it brand new.

Please let me know the procedures to be followed while restoring and also other things to check in the car to ensure seamless running at least for next 3 years just with regular maintenance and consumables. Also recommend some good upgrades for interior sound proofing and comfort.

Chennai members, please guide me to a proper mechanic in Chennai who quotes reasonable prices for the above mentioned issues and painting.

Cheers,
Kishore

Thread Starter #6
Just an update!

Consulted a Tinker today regarding the tinkering works in the car. After inspection he said that there are several tedious tinkering works to be done in the car as it has several cracks and breakages in the chassis. Even the front of the footbed has to be removed and re welded with a new foot bed. The approximation of the tinkering works itself will cost close to 18k and 15k for painting. He advises to dispose this and get another vehicle, which I dont want to do. I severely doubt his estimates.

Went to a paint shop to check the cost of painting materials. The total materials cost 3.5k. I have a painter who can do the painting job alone for 2k as I am providing the materials.

Summing up, The tinkering job is the most pocket burning and I am sure its definitely a lesser priced work than he quoted. Can I get some better sources to do this in a right way. Please guide me[confused]

Hi guys,

First, I am completely new to the four wheels while still enjoying two wheels. Recently bagged a 95 M800 for mastering the driving skills. Initial idea was to learn and to scrap it after 6 months but somehow developed a liking for this wonderful mill. So decided to restore it to the best possible condition.

Initial Issues in observed in the car

1. Steering not stable. Have to tilt it slightly left to keep the car running straight.
Wheel Alignment will fix this issue (if aprons are not damaged/repaired in past)
Also the steering is very tight and difficult to handle.
There is a 12size bolt near the brake pedal that needs to adjusted (avoid DIY here)
2. Absolutely no brakes.
Add brake boosters and change brake pads (no matter how good they are as of now), use DOT4brake oil instead pf DOT3

Please click here to know more about Brake boosters in M800

3. Headlights completely useless in illumination.
Add 100/90 headlamp wiring kit and change bulbs to Philips 100/90 (Easy DIY)

4. Highly tight clutch.
Try changing clutch cable (use MGP only), it should easen things a bit.

5. LHS front door not closing completely. A inch of gap is there on top of the door.

Pics please
6. Several leakages in the front seat area of the car and esp literally water is pouring below the dashboard during rains but cant find any holes over there.

Probably the front 2 lower corners of windshield area is rusted and is allowing water to seep in, pics please.
7. The Self starter is making too much noise while starting.
Are you sure its the self starter? or is it the dynamo noise?
8. The temperature and fuel gauge is working but the the speedometer is not working.
Check if speedometer cable is connected and is not cut in between (this is the issue in my car, cable is fine from both ends, but disconnected in between)

9. Rusting on several places of the car.
Pics please

10. Lots of free play from the gear stick.
Change the plastic bushes below the gear lever - Rs.90/-
11. Terribly bad interiors.
7K for seat covers, door pads, new moulded roof (MGP)

12. All glasses are dull and not so clear.
Use colgate toothpaste and sponge with water to clean all the glasses.

13. Engine is in good condition but the performance is not up to the mark.
Change Engine oil, gear oil, petrol filter and air filter (last thing check the clutch condition too)

14. But can find slight traces of white smoke while accelerating too much in neutral.

White smoke means some gasket issue probably (coolant getting burnt) - needs mechanics advice

15. Lots of noise during ride in the interiors.
Tighten all screws of window rollers, replace a few glass channels, tighten dashboard screws, fit stepney and jack in its rightplace - should reduce the rattling noise
16. Parking brakes not working.
Check handbrake cable/ rear drum brake liner

17. Main door lock is not working properly.
2mins job, open door pad fix the plastic in the hook kind of thing

18. Ride is little bumpy.
Change rear dampers to Acdelco brand (500/-), issue still not resolved add another leaf.

19. Low FE, close to 10kmpl.
Servicing the car and cleaning carburator, fuel lines etc can bring some improvements

The problem is I cannot find a proper mechanic in Chennai to fix up the things and they are too pricey. For instance, the mechanics are quoting 3000RS for rectifying brakes as it has lathe work to be done. I am sure this will cost within 1000RS.
You are right there, lathe work for rear drum should not cost 3K.

I would also like to repaint the car so that to make it brand new....
All the best [:)]

Hi rockingrider, my first question would be.. how many years are you going to keep this car.

If its for a long term then go for all the stuff mentioned by SS80.
Mainly as you are saying the car emits white smoke which means the pistons / piston rings are worn out. If you need to rebuild the engine it will come upto 12k minimum. Mileage depends on this factor too. Is the car drivable till B'lore ? If yes I can refer to my mechanic.

Along with all these stuff you would require some some bits here and there, like suspension buses, toe ends, lower arms etc again will come upto 6k. Then if you are not lucky enough you would endup changing the wiring kit too (whole car). Then the tires etc etc..

Last edited:
Here are the replies just ahead of your queries, hope this will help

1. Steering not stable. Have to tilt it slightly left to keep the car running straight. Also the steering is very tight and difficult to handle.- For this you will need a new rack assembly ( cost would be around3K)
2. Absolutely no brakes.- First you will have to see whats the reason ( most probably you must be having worn out brake shoes.
3. Headlights completely useless in illumination. - You need to replace, anyother solution will be temporary only.
4. Highly tight clutch. - Try adjusting it, if this doesnt help, the best is to replace.
5. LHS front door not closing completely. A inch of gap is there on top of the door - The denter will take care of it.
6. Several leakages in the front seat area of the car and esp literally water is pouring below the dashboard during rains but cant find any holes over there. - Open the bonnet and see if there any holes in the front section along the engine. Secondly, the rubber that holds the windshield sometimes causes the water to enter the cabin.
7. The Self starter is making too much noise while starting. - get it serviced, approximate cost of servicing would be 200 INR
8. The temperature and fuel gauge is working but the the speedometer is not working. Get a new speedometer wire attached.
9. Rusting on several places of the car. Either get it painted or spray zorik on it.
10. Lots of free play from the gear stick. There is this cross ( i dont remember the exact word). It is not very costly, replace it and the play will vanish.
11. Terribly bad interiors. - Just get new seat covers and clean your dash board and then polish it with waxpol. ( Spending too much money on interiors, i wont recocomend)
12. All glasses are dull and not so clear. ( If too necessary, change the windshield only as by changing it, you will have better experience while driving at night.
13. Engine is in good condition but the performance is not up to the mark. ( get the engine decardonized and see if the silencer ( exhuast) is not choked)
14. But can find slight traces of white smoke while accelerating too much in neutral. ( this is serious, does this white smoke comes throughout the drive or just for sometime when you start the car. If the smoke is continous, you will need to replace the piston rings. But the exact status will be know only after opening it
15. Lots of noise during ride in the interiors. ( Denter will take care of it)
16. Parking brakes not working. ( See an electrician, most probably fuse bulb or some fuse may have blown)
17. Main door lock is not working properly. Minor issue.
18. Ride is little bumpy. ( Get your suspension overhauled)
19. Low FE, close to 10kmpl. ( if you rectify and decarbonize the engine, i think this figure should improve)

The problem is I cannot find a proper mechanic in Chennai to fix up the things and they are too pricey. For instance, the mechanics are quoting 3000RS for rectifying brakes as it has lathe work to be done. I am sure this will cost within 1000RS. - Most probably they will get the calipers corrected, if this is so the max amount would be 800 INR.

Last edited:
Please help me to choose the best brand products for my old M800 Type-I rusting floor, inside doors and also for fixing minor outside body patches. Two years back I tried asian paints red oxide primer, shalimar zinc chromate primer and one local brand body filler for inside floor but all not lasting long.
1) Brushable etching primer, or anything else with best corrosion resistance and bonding.
2) Body filler
I plan to use aerosol spray paint and clear for body patches. I had tried it on my bike petrol tank with good results.

Your suggestions are also welcome!

I meant Epoxy Primer NOT Etching Primer...Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom