My Much Awaited Maruti Omni Restoration

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

I feel happy to start writing about our good old Maruti Omni restoration It's a 1994 Van, the first four wheeler in our house has served us a lot, still serving, but getting old, obviously doesn't look the way it looked earlier. Will post a pic to show how it looked a few years back

Would love to hear from all you automobile enthusiasts out there

Attachments

By the pic the car seems to be in a good condition. No rusting any where.
Any day this version of Omni looks better than any other till present.

You should consider replacing the tires as I can see you are running on cross ply tires.

Do post more pic's.

Thread Starter #3
Hey thanks for that quick response Varun, well these tires are already replaced to radial tires, this pic is about 6-7 years old, Will post the recent pic soon

Hello jetumalnad9, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com.

Omni is a great MPV that one could get in that budget, your car looks cool, so when do you plan to restore your vehicle?

We had Omni as our first car which was '95 model, the engine did not have any issues till our end of ownership.

EDIT: Please share what all you are going to restore, so that our experts in the forum could suggest best ways to bring the car back to it's shape.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Hello jetumalnad9, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com.

Omni is a great MPV that one could get in that budget, your car looks cool, so when do you plan to restore your vehicle?

We had Omni as our first car which was '95 model, the engine did not have any issues till our end of ownership.

EDIT: Please share what all you are going to restore, so that our experts in the forum could suggest best ways to bring the car back to it's shape.
Hi Vishwas,

Thanks for the welcome, I do agree that Omni is an MPV, infact it is under restoration now, gave it to a Tinker/Painter on 9th Nov, 2013, we know this guy well in Mysore and he has established himself well in restoring vehicles.

Now the condition of the vehicle is fair in terms of its engine performance but can't rule out the possibility of engine overhauling. We have always got it serviced at the company but for tinkering and painting, we thought company quoted a high price.

I will post a few pics from my second visit during which I could observe that the tinkering has begun.

Intresting thread, looking forward to see the modifications and restorations happening on this most sold maruti's first MUV passenger car which is still running on roads on huge numbers.
Can you share more details about what are the plans and decisions you have made and whats going on currently on your car, and do share its images as well.

Thread Starter #8
Intresting thread, looking forward to see the modifications and restorations happening on this most sold maruti's first MUV passenger car which is still running on roads on huge numbers.
Can you share more details about what are the plans and decisions you have made and whats going on currently on your car, and do share its images as well.
Hey thanks Vijay for your response,

I just now posted a few pics before the work started. On the whole if you look at the car, it looks good for its age but if observed closely it needs tinkering as the at the platform, the running board, the slide door beeding from inside which is rusted and also just below the driver's seat on the platform which is rusted. I am also planning to give it a fresh look like the type 3 Omni, More on that coming soon.

Thanks for your interest, would look forward to more inputs.[:)]

Cheers,
Jetu

Hi jetumalnad9,

I would suggest not to change the looks of the car, the type 1 looks much better than the other versions. This omni comes with metal bumpers and the sheet metal in the front is stronger than the new ones.It would require structural changes to re-weld the type 3 front portion. If you want you can get a new dash from type2 / 3.
Also get the steering the from type 3 if you are not happy with existing one.

Also I would suggest you some more improvements like adding front disk brakes and brake booster and removing the existing drum brakes.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Hi jetumalnad9,

I would suggest not to change the looks of the car, the type 1 looks much better than the other versions. This omni comes with metal bumpers and the sheet metal in the front is stronger than the new ones.It would require structural changes to re-weld the type 3 front portion. If you want you can get a new dash from type2 / 3.

Also I would suggest you some more improvements like adding front disk brakes and brake booster and removing the existing drum brakes.
Hi Varun,

You are very right, type 1 front shape is stronger, but mine over here was a redone front(the 1st owner had got it shabbily done at a local tinker) and from the wind shield, the bottom, it was completely rusted, during rains, water wash, water leaked inside and wires got wet. Got the complete rubber beeding changed at the company but did not solve this issue and the headlamp assembly portion collected water to my surprise. Checked at the company outlet and they have stopped manufacturing the type1 headlight assembly(did not want a duplicate one). All these things made me to go in for a type3 shape at the front.

Yes, I am considering the steering and dash too with disk brake and brake booster.

Thanks,[:)]

Jetu

Last edited:
i completely agree with Varun,
your vehicle looks neat with perfect bodyline in pictures. denting work, paint touchups & Teflon will make your car perfect [:D]
About type1 headlight assembly you will get in LUMAX search for lumax dealer near by.

some advertisements.
omni1.jpg

omni.JPG

4276904459_864064a276_o.jpg

SuzukiCarry02.jpg

SuzukiCarry01.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I feel happy to start writing about our good old Maruti Omni restoration It's a 1994 Van, the first four wheeler in our house has served us a lot, still serving, but getting old, obviously doesn't look the way it looked earl9ier. Will post a pic to show how it looked a few years back

Would love to hear from all you automobile enthusiasts out there
Great sir but one thing you must know that car never gets old people do and machines are always amazing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the only omni that i like, oldest one with round headlights !
my friend too have same model in same color, exact same look same guard on front side, same fog lamps, same red colored horns :lol!: thanks god registration number is different [surprise]
but frankly i think this is not the right time to restore your car [ sorry if i said anything wrong or if it hurted u ] , it's fairly good, god knows whats the condition of underbody flooring.
if it's rusted too much then go for it, if it isnt that bad u can use it as it is for few more years
cheers !

planning to give it a fresh look like the type 3 Omni,
I would suggest not to change the looks of the car, the type 1 looks much better than the other versions. This omni comes with metal bumpers and the sheet metal in the front is stronger than the new ones.
I would agree with this too. Specially since your van has the old registration (3 Alphabets).

It would require structural changes to re-weld the type 3 front portion. If you want you can get a new dash from type2 / 3.
This I would disagree as this being a restoration, it should look like what it looked when it was new.

This I am ok with as it cannot be seen and more importantly it aids the safety and convenience.

Thread Starter #15
i completely agree with Varun,
your vehicle looks neat with perfect bodyline in pictures. denting work, paint touchups & Teflon will make your car perfect [:D]
About type1 headlight assembly you will get in LUMAX search for lumax dealer near by.

some advertisements.
View attachment 115761

View attachment 115762

View attachment 115764

View attachment 115763

View attachment 115765
Hi Adil,

Thank you for the pics, I loved them all and was infact searching for some old Omni snaps but you posted them, They look great. Well the body line looks good but from inside it is rusted, will post some pics..

Top Bottom