Maruti Swift AC Compressor Noise

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

This is a reference video however the noise is 100% same and the frequency is random, sometime its at idling or while in 1st or 2nd gear. This only happens when the AC is switched on.

I have heard that Swift's compressors cannot be repaired. Car has done just 58k. and is it too early for a major component to fail like this? or is it something else

Video link- Car AC compressor noise - YouTube

Re: Swift AC Compressor Noise

Very unlikely that it is the pulley or bearing if it's coming when switched on. In any case if the bearing has failed you would have to change part of the body as well. I have in most cases replaced the entire compressor as that would be the better thing to do taking into account the mileage on your car.

Thread Starter #5

Don't you think compressor failing at just 58k isn't normal ? Should I take this up with Maruti even though my warranty is expired

Hi Itsmedivine555,
It can be the Ac clutch pulley which needs to be cleaned and lubed or Ac compressor running on low gas for long time. If you are getting proper cooling then all you need to check is the pulley and topup Ac refrigerant gas R134a. Coming to your car what year is your car and how long ago did your warranty / ext warranty expire. Also to approach maruti for goodwill warranty you must have serviced your car regularly without any gaps with MASS.
Thankyou
satyabobby9.

That sound like the magnetic pulley bearing on the compressor is bad or you have a problem inside the compressor.

I am not sure but I think when the pulley bearing in the compressor is bad it will make a sound even when the air con is off and when you turn on the air con the noise is worts.

Best advise is to check that thing ASAP. That pulley can get stuck and will stop completely and break the belt.

Also, some times the cost of changing the compressor pulley its almost the same as a new compressor so make sure to quote both.

Hope to hear from you what was the diagnostic and how they fix it.

Good luck,

Isaac

Last edited:

I dont have similar noises but from what i hear most of these Subros Ac units have complaints after 60000 km,my car has done 70000 & mechanics told that there is a clutch like unit which engages & disengages & that must be getting jammed sometimes inside the compressor. I have already changed the AC Pulley wheel set(1200 rupees) on the car after it malfunctioned at 60000 km .The charge for replacing compressor is 15000 rupees if it fails, but there are service people who check & repair car ac compressors, so planning to get mine checked & parts replaced if needed.

Note to fellow Tai' members most of the time when ac compressor fails it can be fixed for as little as under 1000 rupees.Following company replacement policy is not a good option until its confirmed compressor is damaged beyond repair.

I remember reading about a Hyundai Tuscon Compressor up for replacement (guessing above 24000 rupees) & customer realized it was just a little spring or similar that was the prob, a Mahindra Scorpio clutch part was used to sort out the issue [:)]

Thread Starter #9

I have been told that the compressor in Swift cannot be opened and repaired. This was quoted by authorized service center and local AC mechanic. Is this true?

I have been told that the compressor in Swift cannot be opened and repaired. This was quoted by authorized service center and local AC mechanic. Is this true?
I dont believe this is true almost all ac compressors can be worked on,some compressor need diff tools i guess(according to some youtube videos)
,but in my Swift ac case the people at Maruti itself told me that replacing a small part in the compressor is better than going for replacement in future.Person along with other workers who suggested is also highly experienced with heavy machinery from middle east.
They quoted 15000 for compressor replacement,dug around & found the prices on another forum

Compressor Assembly Rs 11381
Condensor Rs. 4637
Expansion Valve Rs. 2633
Evaporator Rs 2200

But i can ask around diligently by tomorrow & give a correct answer

Hi,

This is a reference video however the noise is 100% same and the frequency is random, sometime its at idling or while in 1st or 2nd gear. This only happens when the AC is switched on.

I have heard that Swift's compressors cannot be repaired. Car has done just 58k. and is it too early for a major component to fail like this? or is it something else

Hey buddy were you at Maruti Service center, Chembur ghatla village on saturday noon.
The swift Petrol there had same problem as yours,the sound was comming from AC compressor.

Hi Friends,

Please help me.

This is my story. I am owing a new swift VXi which i bought last year. It has completed just 4680Kms and also third service.

But i started to notice one issue when i crossed some 4400 Kms, the issue is When i change gear from 1 to 2 i can feel continuous jerking on clutch pedal as well as in the car body.From 2nd on wards it is fine.

i informed this to Maruthi dealer when i have given it for service then they said they will adjust the clutch. But that didnt resolve the issue. Early i used to face the issue when i run with AC. But now it is happening even without AC.

Again i took the car to the centr asked them to check , they agreed that there is some jerkingand they couldn't figure it out and said i am the first one reporting this issue...

My cars warrenty is not over yet..

What will i do now...Have any of you faced\heard this problem??? Was there any solution?

Thanks,
Dileep

Hi,

Any update on this? How much it costed you to fix this problem?

I'm getting the same noise from my swift AC compressor & mechanic told me its not repairable as swift AC compressor is rotary type unlike other compressors which are piston type so only solution is to replace it.

Since AC is cooling, no compressor problem. It has to be a bearing issue, not a belt issue either. Bearings may go bad with 60k in few cases, though not much expected. I am saying this since you said that after running AC for some time, the sound goes away. Don't neglect this issue since it may affect timing belt and other bearings as well if you do not eliminate this issue ASAP.
Go to MASS and confirm before taking any step. I'm afraid that it would cost quite amount since bearings are usually costly.

Top Bottom