Hyundai Verna Gearshift Pattern Queries

Thread Starter #1
Like we all know in manual gears it has a gear change draw line for the gear leaver

gearshift-verna.jpg

like 1st to 2nd pull down back in a straight line, 2nd to 3rd up the leaver to neutral then move it to slight right and then up. But In premium cars those I drove, there have something like gear recognize feature may be with RPM status. Like when 2nd to 3rd you just need to push the leaver up and it will go to 3rd gear (not moving sideways at neutral position). Same when rpm down and when you require to gear down from 3rd to 2nd you just need to pull down the leaver and it goes to 2nd (not moving sideways at neutral position). I hope this make sense.

But in Verna this only work when gear up, not when gear down. Many time my car goes to 4th gear from 3rd when I tried to shift down to 2nd gear. Any expert please advice is there any better way to shifting gears. Thanks

@ mode: please move this thread is there have any discussion like this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Gear changing pattern queries in new Hyundai Fluidic Verna

i20 is not a premium car with the technology you have mentioned. And anyways, I have not heard of this said tech in any premium car before. Which premium car are you talking about?

Follow the traditional approach to shift gears.

There is no such thing what you have mentioned. Gearboxes differ from each other, in some the lateral travel is less than others, this is particularly true in petrols (lesser travel). Have you ever driven a car that has done some good miles, say, 60-80K, in such cars the gear slotter rubber is worn out and you don't feel much obstruction during lateral movement and hence we get the feel that we are slotting ALMOST STRAIGHTLY from 2nd to 3rd and vice-versa. But believe my do not do this in your newer rides as it would deform the rubber slotter and might even disturb the gears.

Thread Starter #4

i20 is not a premium car with the technology you have mentioned. And anyways, I have not heard of this said tech in any premium car before. Which premium car are you talking about?

Follow the traditional approach to shift gears.
Mine is Verna 1.6 SX VTVT, not i20. And by premium car I meant to say any good cars those prices above 5lack or so. Nothing like BMW Audi.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

There is no such thing what you have mentioned. Gearboxes differ from each other, in some the lateral travel is less than others, this is particularly true in petrols (lesser travel). Have you ever driven a car that has done some good miles, say, 60-80K, in such cars the gear slotter rubber is worn out and you don't feel much obstruction during lateral movement and hence we get the feel that we are slotting ALMOST STRAIGHTLY from 2nd to 3rd and vice-versa. But believe my do not do this in your newer rides as it would deform the rubber slotter and might even disturb the gears.
Yes I know, even I’ve never heard anything such but I’ve been driving this way since long (10 years). Its like when you shift up the gear, automatically it takes the next gear, I don’t need to play with it. Even I drove XUV5OO many times. In our existing car maruti 800 it works but not very effective like good cars.

You can even try that in your car, when changing from 2nd to 3dr just push the leaver up in a straight line don’t move around just give it a push from backward, it will take the 3dt gear by itself rather than going for 1st gear.

And no I never drove a car above 30k km or so. Most of all are new cars. And all I understand that I need to follow the gear change line.

Last edited:
It will work when you try from 2nd to 3rd gear, simple because the spring action of the gear lever rests the gear in line between the 3rd the 4th gear. So it automatically goes to the middle position when you slot it out of 2nd gear. But this wont work from 4th to 5th.

Thread Starter #7
I found this in my manual book, and this is what I was taking about. Check those bold lines.

Manual transaxle operation
The manual transaxle has 5 (or 6*) forward
gears.
This shift pattern is imprinted on the shift
knob. The transaxle is fully synchronized
in all forward gears so shifting to either a
higher or a lower gear is easily accomplished.

Press the clutch pedal down fully while
shifting, then release it slowly.
If your vehicle is equipped with an ignition
lock switch, the engine will not start
when starting the engine without
depressing the clutch pedal. (if
equipped)
The gearshift lever must be returned to
the neutral position before shifting into R
(Reverse). Push the button located
immediately below the shift knob and pull
the gearshift lever to the left sufficiently,
and then shift into the reverse (R) gear
position. Make sure the vehicle is completely
stopped before shifting into R
(Reverse).
Never operate the engine with the
tachometer (rpm) in the red zone.

• When downshifting from fifth
gear to fourth gear, caution
should be taken not to inadvertently
press the gear shift lever
sideways in such a manner that
second gear is engaged.
Such a
drastic downshift may cause the
engine speed to increase to the
point that the tachometer will
enter the red-zone. Such overrevving
of the engine may possibly
cause engine damage.
• Do not downshift more than 2
gears or downshift the gear when
the engine is running at high
speed (5,000 RPM or higher).
Such a downshifting may damage
the engine.

I found this in my manual book, and this is what I was taking about. Check those bold lines.

Manual transaxle operation
The manual transaxle has 5 (or 6*) forward
gears.
This shift pattern is imprinted on the shift
knob. The transaxle is fully synchronized
in all forward gears so shifting to either a
higher or a lower gear is easily accomplished.

Press the clutch pedal down fully while
shifting, then release it slowly.
If your vehicle is equipped with an ignition
lock switch, the engine will not start
when starting the engine without
depressing the clutch pedal. (if
equipped)
The gearshift lever must be returned to
the neutral position before shifting into R
(Reverse). Push the button located
immediately below the shift knob and pull
the gearshift lever to the left sufficiently,
and then shift into the reverse (R) gear
position. Make sure the vehicle is completely
stopped before shifting into R
(Reverse).
Never operate the engine with the
tachometer (rpm) in the red zone.

• When downshifting from fifth
gear to fourth gear, caution
should be taken not to inadvertently
press the gear shift lever
sideways in such a manner that
second gear is engaged.
Such a
drastic downshift may cause the
engine speed to increase to the
point that the tachometer will
enter the red-zone. Such overrevving
of the engine may possibly
cause engine damage.
• Do not downshift more than 2
gears or downshift the gear when
the engine is running at high
speed (5,000 RPM or higher).
Such a downshifting may damage
the engine.
Soumen, It's the same as raj said. The spring of gear tends to make it in middle when in neutral. Hence, When you push down ward from 5th gear, first it slots to neutral and goes to middle position(as per the spring action), then it goes to 4th gear by little more downward shift. Manual means here that if we force more towards left, it may slot to second gear as gear knob automatically ,due to spring action ,has been in center position already by a gentle downward push.

All cars behave in this manner except for cars having automatic transmission. Even my verna CRDi behaves same.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Soumen, It's the same as raj said. The spring of gear tends to make it in middle when in neutral. Hence, When you push down ward from 5th gear, first it slots to neutral and goes to middle position(as per the spring action), then it goes to 4th gear by little more downward shift. Manual means here that if we force more towards left, it may slot to second gear as gear knob automatically ,due to spring action ,has been in center position already by a gentle downward push.

All cars behave in this manner except for cars having automatic transmission. Even my verna CRDi behaves same.
Ok I got it.

I’m having trouble with my new car for the gear change. Max time it shutdown due to improper gear. Most of the time happens when running and I tried to put in 1st gear and it goes to 3rd gear. Probably I have to give more play to left side when put it in 1st gear.

But this isn’t happen for all other cars I’ve been driving. With smooth play gear goes into 1st. But here I’ve to give it more plays to left or right when shifting down 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st. No issues at all when shifting up.

Ok I got it.

I’m having trouble with my new car for the gear change. Max time it shutdown due to improper gear. Most of the time happens when running and I tried to put in 1st gear and it goes to 3rd gear. Probably I have to give more play to left side when put it in 1st gear.

But this isn’t happen for all other cars I’ve been driving. With smooth play gear goes into 1st. But here I’ve to give it more plays to left or right when shifting down 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st. No issues at all when shifting up.
Initially same happened to me. It slots to third when I wanted to slot the car on 1st. Slowly I got used to pushing it bit left for 1st and now it works fine for me.

Thread Starter #11
Initially same happened to me. It slots to third when I wanted to slot the car on 1st. Slowly I got used to pushing it bit left for 1st and now it works fine for me.
Yes this is what I wanted to say. I drove many other good/premium cars like Corola, XUV, City and more but (In case of downshifting) all it require to just pull down the leaver and slight pushing to left (by finger you can say) and it easily goes from 3rd to 2nd, it never missed that.

And thanks Kentkits, I thought it could be a issue with my car. As it’s a premium car so I didn’t expect this in it.

Last edited:
Yes this is what I wanted to say. I drove many other good/premium cars like Corola, XUV, City and more but (In case of downshifting) all it require to just pull down the leaver and slight pushing to left (by finger you can say) and it easily goes from 3rd to 2nd, it never missed that.

And thanks Kentkits, I thought it could be a issue with my car. As it’s a premium car so I didn’t expect this in it.
Upward movement slotting to 3rd is just due to the design as 3rd geat site right above where gear stick rests in neutral, with 1st to it's left and 5th to it's right.

You keep repeating "premium cars...". What premium cars are you driving? What qualifies for a premium car?

Moreover, please change your gear changing habits or you might end up messing your gearbox.

Ok got ur point. In the gear positioning when the lever is in neutral it is in middle of 3rd and 4th gear,you can call this position as default lever position. 1, 2 and rev falls left to this default position and 5 and 6 to right, where as 3 and 4 are in the same line of default position up and down respectively .. so when u shift frm 2nd to 3rd lever moves in this manner 2 to N to 3. Since the gear shift is so smooth this 3 stage movement feels like a single line push. This behaviour will b noticed only when you go 2 to 3 and 5 to 4.. Reverse wll nt work ... Its just the alignment of the gear slot positions ..

If u ask me i love this transition as it gives a super smooth gear shift when ur adraline is pumping ..
Hope u understood

Thread Starter #14
Upward movement slotting to 3rd is just due to the design as 3rd geat site right above where gear stick rests in neutral, with 1st to it's left and 5th to it's right.

You keep repeating "premium cars...". What premium cars are you driving? What qualifies for a premium car?

Moreover, please change your gear changing habits or you might end up messing your gearbox.
This was my question like you said “Upward movement slotting to 3rd is just due to the design as 3rd gear site right above where gear stick rests in neutral” then why this isn’t happen while downshift? However upward movement from 2nd it should g to 1st as that is in straight line but it goes to 3rd.

Like I said earlier by “premium cars” I mean not low cost cheap cars, those car engine and gear box built more user friendly and provides hassle free driving experience. I haven’t driven any cars named premium car but I’ve driven Ferrari in US couple of times so I know how MT gear shifting works differently in cars.

If you have driven any paddle shift gear car, may be City, it too has the same gearbox but it works unlike automatic gear. The same way Premium car (good quality car) gear box and gear shifting system built this way its works like “gear assist system”. That is why when you shift 2nd to 3rd its not in straight line but still it goes to 3rd instead of 1st. you don’t need to play with gear leaver a lot like Ambassador car, these premium car gives you a hassle free driving experience. The same way when you lower the RPM and load on gear reduced and you shift down in some premium cars the leaver passes to the next lower gear like 3 to 2nd.

All I meant to say in Verna this isn’t working like this way, I need to play with the leaver a lot.

This was my question like you said “Upward movement slotting to 3rd is just due to the design as 3rd gear site right above where gear stick rests in neutral” then why this isn’t happen while downshift? However upward movement from 2nd it should g to 1st as that is in straight line but it goes to 3rd.
My mention of movement to 3rd was from neutral and not from 2nd. Moving from 2nd to 3rd will always have some lateral movement. Its just that you are not able to notice it maybe, moreover if you have a habit of slotting gears with force then even moreso your would not notice the travel, but it is there. GEAR SHIFT DOES NOT GO FROM 2nd TO 3rd IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

Like I said earlier by “premium cars” I mean not low cost cheap cars, those car engine and gear box built more user friendly and provides hassle free driving experience. I haven’t driven any cars named premium car but I’ve driven Ferrari in US couple of times so I know how MT gear shifting works differently in cars.
Ferrari must be having a paddle shift so, above discussion is ruled out.

If you have driven any paddle shift gear car, may be City, it too has the same gearbox but it works unlike automatic gear. The same way Premium car (good quality car) gear box and gear shifting system built this way its works like “gear assist system”. That is why when you shift 2nd to 3rd its not in straight line but still it goes to 3rd instead of 1st. you don’t need to play with gear leaver a lot like Ambassador car, these premium car gives you a hassle free driving experience.
Where does the stick come in a paddle shift?? Moreover, a Gear Shift Assist doesn't help is slotting gears, it assist clutchless up-shifts. Half knowledge is very dangerous my friend.

The same way when you lower the RPM and load on gear reduced and you shift down in some premium cars the leaver passes to the next lower gear like 3 to 2nd.
So you mean to say, in "PREMIUM CARS" one just has to touch the level towards down and it automatically goes to a lower gear?? Buddy, try ANY manual, if you push down from 3rd without gripping the knob(keeping it loose), it would spring to neutral and not to 3rd.

All I meant to say in Verna this isn’t working like this way, I need to play with the leaver a lot.
By no means Verna or City are premium cars, they are, at best, good sedans.

Last edited:

Top Bottom