Hyundai Santro Brakes Getting Jammed. Can’t Drive!!

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a unique problem with my santro. last week i had long drive to Coorg.
came back and not used car for 4-5 days.
yesterday night , thanks to incandesent rains in bangalore, took out the car drove for some distance then a loud "thud" noise and car stops suddenly.
tried to rev more and try moving it, but in vain, cars not moving.
tried putting reverse and even it did not helped.
got down and checked under, nothing fallen, came in no blinking in cluster also.

parked car by side some how and trying to analyse the problem, then trying to put hand brake its not getting engaged properly. then thought coz of long drive and frequent brakes , the brake pads might got hot and sudden cooling might have made the brakes to Jam.

is this so.. kindly help .
i tried to explain as simple as i can , any idea what have caused the problem?
is my interpretation correct ?

Kindly help.

Re: Brakes getting jammed , cannot drive !!!!!

Hello All,
long drive and frequent brakes , the brake pads might got hot and sudden cooling might have made the brakes to Jam.

is this so.. kindly help .
i tried to explain as simple as i can , any idea what have caused the problem?
is my interpretation correct ?

Kindly help.
Well I don't believe that brake pads or calipers get busted after quenching (sudden cooling after heating).
Can you please tell how old is your car? When was the last time you changed brake pads? Did you try to jack up your can and see if there is any thing wrong with the brake discs?

Thread Starter #3

Car is 7 years old and brake pads change , am not sure when i did it.
i could not able to jack up the car to see under. planning this weekend to get it to ASS.

Let me guess, you had put on the handbrakes while the car was lying idle for the unused period?

It has happened twice when I left my parked after driving through water. In my car, I jacked the car, unscrewed the rear wheels, and the culprit was the stuck brake drum. I am not sure of the technical term for this, but I had to manually retract the spring and the problem was solved.

Last edited:

Top Bottom