Indica DLS 2010 Engine Overhaul - Need Advice

Thread Starter #1
Friends,

One of my colleague's Indica DLS 2010 model (non turbo) has done 1L km on odo. Recently he visited TATA A.S.S. for check up and the service advisor asked him to carry out complete engine overhaul. The SA also told him to replace the alternator. For the complete work the SA gave an estimate of around Rs.1L. The SA told my colleague that after this overhaul the car can run for another 2 years without any problem.

Is the price quoted reasonable? Does indica need complete engine overhaul at 1L km? please offer your comments.Thanks in advance.

Re: Indica DLS 2010 model Engine overhaul - need advice

Friends,

One of my colleague's Indica DLS 2010 model (non turbo) has done 1L km on odo. Recently he visited TATA A.S.S. for check up and the service advisor asked him to carry out complete engine overhaul. The SA also told him to replace the alternator. For the complete work the SA gave an estimate of around Rs.1L. The SA told my colleague that after this overhaul the car can run for another 2 years without any problem.

Is the price quoted reasonable? Does indica need complete engine overhaul at 1L km? please offer your comments.Thanks in advance.

It depends on the Engine D.J.

I saw some engines done 2L+Kms without overhaul. Even I done the Overhaul to my Black Indica around 1L kms. So it totally depends on Engine.

I've done the Overhaul for my Black Indica for below Rs.20K.

check this link:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...a-v2-dls-1-00-000-kms-review-3.html#post88937

The parts I used for overhaul was Original. Actually all the parts for overhaul is coming in a single packed box. Check with some good Mechanic and overhaul the engine in front of you.

Once you completed the overhaul, you won't find any problem in Engine for next 1.5L Kms.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Thanks Vinoth for prompt response. You paid only 16k for the complete engine overhaul. That was cheap i guess. I have no idea about engine overhaul. How come TATA A.S.S. is asking almost 1L INR (including alternator) for my colleagues INDICA.

What do you mean by saying that "it depends on engine"? Do you mean driving habbit of the owner and usage of the car? Actually my colleague uses his car mostly for highway drives and always his son only drives his car.

Thanks Vinoth for prompt response. You paid only 16k for the complete engine overhaul. That was cheap i guess. I have no idea about engine overhaul. How come TATA A.S.S. is asking almost 1L INR (including alternator) for my colleagues INDICA.

What do you mean by saying that "it depends on engine"? Do you mean driving habbit of the owner and usage of the car? Actually my colleague uses his car mostly for highway drives and always his son only drives his car.
Yes, TASS will charge more. but, if you find a good mechanic, you can overhaul very cheap for sure.

What I meant was "It depends on Engines", "Some Engine cross 2L Kms without overhaul, some engine needs overhaul at 1L Kms. What ever the driving style may be, we can't predict previous generation TATA engines. But, the good thing is, the Engine will struggle to run till the last moment & will never let you to halt on the road[:)]"

Last edited:
Depends on engine he ment to say is that looking at the engine what shape condition it is right now depends what and how much work needs tobe done with it.
If you know a reliable mechanic or garuage its always cheaper then TASS.
You can get the parts available outside as well thru many dealers retailers and labour charges would be much lesser compared to TASS.

For the complete work the SA gave an estimate of around Rs.1L.
Is the price quoted reasonable? Does indica need complete engine overhaul at 1L km?
Can you get the detailed breakdown of 1L estimation? It depends on the list of items they propose to change. I would suggest to get it done from a outside mechanic. It should cost not more than 50% of T.A.S.S quote.

The SA told my colleague that after this overhaul the car can run for another 2 years without any problem.
This is what most of SA's knowledge is limited with. How come he estimated the life of engine in years?[frustration] irrespective of mileage?

Thread Starter #7
Yes, TASS will charge more. but, if you find a good mechanic, you can overhaul very cheap for sure.

What I meant was "It depends on Engines", "Some Engine cross 2L Kms without overhaul, some engine needs overhaul at 1L Kms. What ever the driving style may be, we can't predict previous generation TATA engines. But, the good thing is, the Engine will struggle to run till the last moment & will never let you to halt on the road[:)]"
Depends on engine he ment to say is that looking at the engine what shape condition it is right now depends what and how much work needs tobe done with it.
If you know a reliable mechanic or garuage its always cheaper then TASS.
You can get the parts available outside as well thru many dealers retailers and labour charges would be much lesser compared to TASS.
Thank you for the replies. I think better i will ask my colleague to search for a good mechanic and buy the spares himself. I can't say anything about the condition of the engine coz i have never traveled in his car and so far i dint look at his car's under bonnet area.

But still i am shocked at the price estimate by TATA A.S.S.

Can you get the detailed breakdown of 1L estimation? It depends on the list of items they propose to change. I would suggest to get it done from a outside mechanic. It should cost not more than 50% of T.A.S.S quote.

This is what most of SA's knowledge is limited with. How come he estimated the life of engine in years?[frustration] irrespective of mileage?
Thank you mate. I will try to get the cost breakup of the estimate.

Last edited:
Does every diesel engine needs overhauling after 1.5L kms? I think only the F I pump needs to be overhauled. Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
Let me give my 2 cents. to check whether the car needs a overhaul or not first thing is
1.)is there black smoke while accelerating the vehicle??
2.)open the bonnet and pull out the engine oil gauge and accelerate and see if there is oil spillage if yes, then definetly the rings have gone weak.
3.) get the compression checked. if the compression is low that means the Head needs to be replaced and thus the hike in cost by TASS. if the compression is fine then you can get your engine overhaul done in 25k with labor from a good mechanic.
4.) In the scenario where your compression ratio is fine. you will have change the Sleeves, Piston Rings, Head phasing, so on and so forth.
However as Mr. Boss said get the break up of that figure as to why the cost. then probably we will be in a better position to assist you.

@Vijay 79 not every car requires overhauling at 1L kms its the driving pattern and the maintenance of the car that decides how soon your car gets old. Innova engines will not require overhaul till 7L if driven and maintained in the right manner, My Sierra is still going strong after it has clocked 2,30,000. Swift, Punto, Vistas if maintained and driven well, will not require overhaul till 3L kms. These are not exact figures but approximation it may or may not go well beyond this. Indica engines do require overhaul after 1.5L kms that being said i dont mean that it has to be done. it depends on the particular engine but company A.S.S suggest so.

Last edited:
To be true.
Overhauling a old car, with non modern engine is waste, better run it till it gives some issues.
Or sell it and buy some modern Diesel's.
Sorry if my advice is wrong.

Overhauling means
Removing and checking all engine parts and cleaning it and fixing it back. This process will not cost you more than 10k with outside mechanic.
Worn parts replace is apart.
Just sign the deal for 10k as labour.

@ stingray91 overhauling and engine means not just cleaning the engine. and replacing parts. it requires precision and experience the parts alone would cost more than 12-15k if authentic materials are used excluding labour. so a total cost of 25-30 k is what can be accepted for full engine overhaul. otherwise only rings can be changed which is done for about 6k but it doesnt solve the problem, but makes the engine go a bit longer for around another 30-40k kms depending on the driving pattern.

@ stingray91 overhauling and engine means not just cleaning the engine. and replacing parts. it requires precision and experience the parts alone would cost more than 12-15k if authentic materials are used excluding labour. so a total cost of 25-30 k is what can be accepted for full engine overhaul. otherwise only rings can be changed which is done for about 6k but it doesnt solve the problem, but makes the engine go a bit longer for around another 30-40k kms depending on the driving pattern.
Do you think spending 25 to 30k for overhauling a old engine?
Ill buy a used less mileage engine form scrap and fix it for 30k instead

do you think in the scrap market you exactly know how much kilometer the car is run when you buy the engine. or does it mean that the scrap dealer who you are dealing with is a MAN OF HIS WORDS and doesnt utter a single lie. how do you determine the age of the engine when you buy it from scrap. Now im clueless in this. if anybody can throw some light into it, it would be helpful for me as well. all i know is check for the engine oil if its thick that means the engine is kept aside for a long time. and most of the salvage yard people never let you check the compression of the engine before you buy it. for that matter even when you purchase a head for the engine i had faced this problem. however the mechanic i had did have a look at the head and said "i think this is fine. but without the test i cannot confirm". is there a sure shot way to find out.

Let me give my 2 cents. to check whether the car needs a overhaul or not first thing is
1.)is there black smoke while accelerating the vehicle??
2.)open the bonnet and pull out the engine oil gauge and accelerate and see if there is oil spillage if yes, then definetly the rings have gone weak.
3.) get the compression checked. if the compression is low that means the Head needs to be replaced and thus the hike in cost by TASS. if the compression is fine then you can get your engine overhaul done in 25k with labor from a good mechanic.
4.) In the scenario where your compression ratio is fine. you will have change the Sleeves, Piston Rings, Head phasing, so on and so forth.
However as Mr. Boss said get the break up of that figure as to why the cost. then probably we will be in a better position to assist you.

@Vijay 79 not every car requires overhauling at 1L kms its the driving pattern and the maintenance of the car that decides how soon your car gets old. Innova engines will not require overhaul till 7L if driven and maintained in the right manner, My Sierra is still going strong after it has clocked 2,30,000. Swift, Punto, Vistas if maintained and driven well, will not require overhaul till 3L kms. These are not exact figures but approximation it may or may not go well beyond this. Indica engines do require overhaul after 1.5L kms that being said i dont mean that it has to be done. it depends on the particular engine but company A.S.S suggest so.
Thanks incarnation for ayour advice. Ok what about petrol engine overhaul? What is the kilometres limit for petrol engine for overhauling if vehicle is driven with in speed limits (70-80)?

Top Bottom