Restoring a Kinetic Honda

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wrapped up the Zen work yesterday and I was alone at home, a feeling that I am rusting was developing within me and it was scary to see the empty space in front of my home. Before I join another job I want to do some more work on some more lovable machines, hence called up my friend to see if he was interested in getting his Kinetic Honda Restored.

My friend is running a cyber cafe and a small restaurant at Manipal Centre (Central Bangalore) and he's the one who taught me basics of computers, internet, CPU assembling, Wifi and LAN setup etc etc. He helped me in those days when I had nothing but a cycle. He also funded a decent portion (buying cost) of my present Purple 800.

He told me that he's not that much interested in getting his kinetic repainted, however if it helps me in anyway, then he is ready to pay for my services and every rupee spent on it.

It's payback time!

The whole motive behind this restoration is to give him a serviced vehicle with a decent paint job (different colour) as a surprise rather than a expected result.
All this at a price which will be mainly the material charges and almost Nil labour charges. I never did anything to say THANKS to this gentle man, hopefully now this restoration should do it.

Here are the issues with the scooter, since it has not been serviced since 6months!

1. Wobbling from front fork/suspension
2. Brake cables and throttle cable need replacement
3. Front brake spring is cut
4. Headlamp frame and a indicator is broken
5. Self start not working
6. Issues with battery as well
7. Dents in the front body
8. Weak horn
9. LH mirror broken
10. Center stand spring damaged
11. Idling issues

May be some more will be discovered in the next few days.

I spoke to him collected a small advance from him and went for shopping at J.C.Road for essential spares and items which I cant find anywhere near my home.

Tried to get the cables fixed at local mechanic shops, to my surprise no one is ready to touch the scooter as it takes a lot of time to do even simple tasks. Every mechanic I spoke to cribs about the body panel to be removed.

So reached home and started off with the best part of restoration STRIPPING[evil] old parts. Tomorrow I will check if anyone is ready to do it, if not I myself will give it a go.

IMG00679.jpg

IMG00680.jpg

IMG00681.jpg

IMG00682.jpg

IMG00683.jpg

IMG00684.jpg

IMG00685.jpg

IMG00686.jpg

[lol] Varun,give Anand a break.Poor fellow will become old before you know it.

Here's a kit kat break for a job well done on the zen.

The Kinetics frame will need a good cleaning and painting.Are you planning on doing that?

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
Mild Denting + Surfacer done

Today just managed to change the brake cables and now the brakes feel much better (smoother) and did basic tinkering myself and body filler work with a coat of surfacer is done.

Now the next task is to get the throttle cable changed at a garage tomorrow along with the front fork adjustment, Putty work and painting as well. I managed to remove the throttle cable at the carb and engine side, however the two screws at the handle just wont come out![frustration]. Also will change air filter as present one is in horrible state.

In a 2stroke bike, is it normal air filter to have oil on it (towards carb side)?

A few pictures of the progress so far.

dents on front panel (1).jpg

dents on front panel (2).jpg

removed sticker.jpg

before body filler work.jpg

fill applied.jpg

rubbed 1.jpg

rubbed 2.jpg

Surfacer sprayed (3).jpg

IMG00718.jpg

new cables (1).jpg

brake cable explain'.jpg

throttle cable explain.jpg

Excellent job ss800. I have been silently following your restoration thread, but couldnt resist from posting here. Really appreciate your gesture of thanking the guy back in such a wonderful way. Hats off buddy.

Thread Starter #8
Replies :)

Ha Ha good that you don't make yourself free.

So when is TAI's paint camp ??
Pretty soon boss, I am getting a few dum door handles and will practice some painting on it and check the amount of abuse they can take before trying anything with the new cars. I will do this by this monday or tuesday.

[lol] Varun,give Anand a break.Poor fellow will become old before you know it.

Here's a kit kat break for a job well done on the zen.

The Kinetics frame will need a good cleaning and painting.Are you planning on doing that?
Cleaning the frame - Yes (for sure), spray painting the frame is doubtful (may be I will paint it with brush) due to space issues. I need your suggestions on improving pickup

1. What to clean in the carb? It is untouched for six months
2. Is it safe to remove the carb and dip it in thinner and later again fit it back? Will it make any difference? (Not ready to dismantle it though)
3. Is it normal for oil to come from the Carb side towards air filter? as present air filter has plenty of oil in it.
4. To tighten the center stand spring - should I heat it or twist it?

Excellent job ss800. I have been silently following your restoration thread, but couldnt resist from posting here. Really appreciate your gesture of thanking the guy back in such a wonderful way. Hats off buddy.
Thanks Akash[:)]

That carb sure has seen better days.It looks like it is leaking, petrol can have an oily residue.

The carb has gotten seriously flooded with fuel for this to happen.

The carb needs to be dis assembled and then dipped in thinner.

Do you get a rebuild kit for it?

Thread Starter #10
Last night I had tried to replace the throttle cable and could not complete it as the 2 screws holding the throttle part are worn out. Today morning I pushed the kinetic to the nearest garage and he says the same thing as everyone else, too busy to do any work on Kinetic!

So I requested him to just losen 2 screws and paid him ten rupees and pushed back home, I was trying for some 10mins to figure out the carb part as I dint know how to fix a washer (unique shape though), then my friend came in to help me out with this thing, he managed to fix it. Then started the scooter to it for a quick spin around the block, a smooth throttle cable can make the ride so much better!

Then as usual started off with the painting work,
Progress so far is as below
1. Throttle cable changed
2. Both brake cables changed
3. Idling issue sorted out
4. Gave battery for charging and collected it back this evening
5. 1st Surfacer coating done
6. Putty work done
7. wet sanding also complete
8. First coat (base paint done)
9. Final coat also applied

New problems
1. Cant remove the front mudguard as lot of things needs to be removed to get to this part, hence no other choice but to paint it while its on the scooter
2. I discarded the complete air filter, including inner plastic body that holds the sponge. I had assumed it to be similar to the Honda Dio type. Only once after visiting the nearby spares shops I got to know that the inner body is always retained, unlike the Dio. So now I have the sponge, but nothing to fix it to the inlet hole. So got to buy that as soon as possible.
3. After the final paint was applied, a small fly managed to land on the wet paint and spoilt a bit of finishing on the front panel!

Jarpickle:
I am not sure if carb rebuild kit is available for this bike, however I has just sprayed thinner on the outside and cleaned all dust on it using a paint brush, hope it does some good to it.

Anand what about the spark plugs, check the condition.

Keep an eye on the carb, if the fuel leaks out again you will have to rebuild it or replace it.

What's the carb model?

Thread Starter #14
Almost done :) pics uploaded

Jarpickle:

I dont know much about the carb model etc, the spark plug was changed 6months back (May be about 4000kms old, not sure).

Deville and Zenenfield
Thank you :)

Main updates:
  1. All painting works are done
  2. Plastic parts are 90% fixed
  3. Wiring needs to be sorted out and entire handle part needs to be fixed tomorrow morning
  4. Self Start is fine, only battery is weak (despite charging), may be after a day or two of usage it should work absolutely fine
  5. The front wheel's bolt and nut (main thing that holds the wheel to the suspension is almost useless and was in place due to a faulty washer, I have to replace it ASAP.
  6. Two major areas of concern are the nose (excess clear coat applied and drops visible) and the bottom portion of headlight frame (paint chipped off)
  7. Will replace the rear stepney holder into the much better looking grab rail (big inverted U shaped metal tube) as stepney is in pathetic condition and is of no use.
  8. One of panels had developed small bubbles on it all over, so scratched the paint to the bare metal and started again (set me back by a few hours).
  9. Stickers to be fixed

More photos

Photos of yesterday and today
DSC_2032.jpg

DSC_2032 - Copy.jpg

DSC_2034.jpg

DSC_2035.jpg

DSC_2037.jpg

DSC_2041.jpg

DSC_2042.jpg
The joy on my friends face after he fixed it and took it for a quick spin

1st puttty.jpg