Maruti 800 Alternator Issues

Thread Starter #1
Hi team,

My M 800 alternator blew up. got it serviced but still isn't giving power to the battery.

i have to jump start the car with additional battery since battery has no charge.

after jump starting car when cable removed from battery the car stops.

now since battery is out of charge volt meter test will not give me results in stand alone test.

also when car is jump started the volt varies around 12 - 13.

it's a 13 years old mpfi engine car.

whats the best way to troubleshoot

should i really be purchasing old or new alternator

what about the battery ?

Re: M 800 atlernator issues

I would suggest you to change the alternator with a new Zen alternator, however you will have to get the pulley changed. It is a direct fit and no major mods are required to fit. Zen alternator comes with about 50Amps of capacity, compared to the M800's stock 35Amps. If you have ICE, 100/90 bulbs, central locking etc then better to switch to the Zen alternator, if your car is fully stock with no add ons the M800 alternator should be good.

M800 alternator should cost about 3500/- here in Bangalore, the Zen part costs 4350/- approx.

Here is a link to my thread and Varun's thread as well where we have done some mods to the stock set up (mine is yet to get fixed, he succeeded using the Swift alternator).

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/13513-restoration-maruti-800-1991-tonnes-pics-uploaded-2.html

Varun's Mega DIY on alternator - this answers most of our queries on alternator issues and solutions.

Stock dynamo of M800 - 35Amps
Zen alternator - 50Amps
Old WagonR VXi - 60Amps
Swift (Petrol) - 70 or 75Amps

First thing is to change the alternator then jump start the car, ensure that there is enough distilled water in the battery, let the car idle for about 5 - 7 mins then drive it. If the car doesn't start again then its an issue of battery, so get the battery charged once instead of direct replacement.
All the best.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
got replaced with second hand alternator
costed with 1400 including labour

ran car for 40 kms and now self is working with battery

Top Bottom