Honda Civic AT CNG

Thread Starter #1
So I just bought a second hand Honda Civic AT about a month ago and converted it to CNG Lovato. I've been having a bit of trouble with the car since and I was wondering if I could get some help. This is my first car and I really don't know much about owning one. I'm reading and slowly learning so please be patient. :-)

1. When I switch the car on it takes about 20-30 second to switch from Petrol to CNG. As soon as it converts the car moves forward on it's on accord really fast. Faster than when I switch from N to D on petrol. The car engine sounds heavier and strained for a few seconds and then it idles fine.

2. While driving a couple of things happen. When i slow down it feels like the car is about to switch off. Almost loses power. So it jerks a little but regains itself. I've also noticed that when I'm in neutral, usually at a signal, the RPM meter moves above 1 every now and then on its own.

3. Whenever I fill up my tank with CNG and as soon as it switches to gas the car goes off and I have to turn it on again.

4. I get an average of only 70km for a 14ltr tank. I should ideally be getting at least a 100 or 90 for the matter.

I've been told it might be an issue with the tuning of my CNG kit and I need to get that checked. Are these symptoms of that? Is asking for an average of 100km per full tank of CNG asking to much? Thanks for your replies.

4. I get an average of only 70km for a 14ltr tank. I should ideally be getting at least a 100 or 90 for the matter.
In a 14 ltr tank your tank will never have 14 kg of gas.

It depends on the pressure by which gas is filled.

Pleasw tell how much gas fits In tank when it is complete empty.

Also what is the fuel efficency of your car on petrol

Also how many kms you have drove after fitting the kit

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
I think around 11 KG's of gas can go in a tank. I fill approximately Rs. 340 when the tank is almost empty.

I have no checked the fuel efficiency of the car when driving on petrol. I will do that this weekend.

I've driven about 200KM's so far since the conversion. Do you know why these problems are occurring?

So I just bought a second hand Honda Civic AT about a month ago and converted it to CNG Lovato. I've been having a bit of trouble with the car since and I was wondering if I could get some help. This is my first car and I really don't know much about owning one. I'm reading and slowly learning so please be patient. :-)

1. When I switch the car on it takes about 20-30 second to switch from Petrol to CNG. As soon as it converts the car moves forward on it's on accord really fast. Faster than when I switch from N to D on petrol. The car engine sounds heavier and strained for a few seconds and then it idles fine.
This is not possible as it take only 0/5 mili seconds to 1 second to switch it. You have to show it to the service centre where you have installed the kit and ask him to fix it.

2. While driving a couple of things happen. When i slow down it feels like the car is about to switch off. Almost loses power. So it jerks a little but regains itself. I've also noticed that when I'm in neutral, usually at a signal, the RPM meter moves above 1 every now and then on its own.

3. Whenever I fill up my tank with CNG and as soon as it switches to gas the car goes off and I have to turn it on again.
There is setting which regulates the flow of the gas by a nob. I think tuning is disturbed and that is the reason This is happening.

I've been told it might be an issue with the tuning of my CNG kit and I need to get that checked. Are these symptoms of that? Is asking for an average of 100km per full tank of CNG asking to much? Thanks for your replies.
Check the mileage of the car on petrol. On CNG is it found that Honda cars give 30% more mileage. So if ur mileage is 7 kmpl on petrol on cng it should be around 9.1 km per kg

Thread Starter #6
Konknatrip - Thank you for your response. Will have to get it checked this weekend then. Will reply back after I get these problems checked.

So I just bought a second hand Honda Civic AT about a month ago and converted it to CNG Lovato.
Congrats! Even I got my used Civic A/T just a week back, but mine is petrol.

I guess the engine will sound different on CNG. I am not an expert in CNG but this is what I have heard. Power and torque goes down when an engine runs on CNG, that is the reason you maybe feeling its strained.

Civic is known for poor low end response. It accentuates further with CNG as CNG reduces the torque of the engine.

The rpm moving, I guess, is because of a very lean fuel mixture, which causes the engine to stall when you brake. Get the tuning of the CNG kit done again.

Again, symptoms of a lean air fuel mixture.

Thread Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I went this week and got the car tuned up again. The mechanic says the reason the car would go off was because he set the timer of the kit to convert to CNG in 10 seconds. He changed it to 60 and the car does not jerk forward after it converts. But as soon as those changes were made my car started reving between 1000 and 1800 RPM on its own. Up and down continuously.

The AC then stopped cooling and the reving continued. I switched the AC off and the RPM fluctuation stopped. Don't know why that happened so we waited for an AC guy to come. By the time he came the problem had stopped. Not really sure why these problems are occurring. This weekend I'll go again and get this diagnosed.

@Raj - curious to know what average you get on petrol?

Last edited by a moderator:
In new Suzuki cars Swifts, Ertiga when the AC is switched on at idle rpm the engine raises its rpm to run the AC and charge the battery.The rpm drops back to idle after the AC is switched off.Maybe Honda has employed a similar mechanism and something in the chain is not functioning properly.

Take a look at all the belts and belt driven accessories like the alternator the AC and the timing belt and its tensioners.Make sure the belts are tightened appropriately.

Thread Starter #14
Facing the same issue still. Whenever I start the car after a long period or for the first time of the day..in about 15 seconds or so the car jerks forward furiously. This is now also happening on petrol. The timer for the conversion has been reset to 60 seconds. I was told that cleaning out the throttle body will solve this issue? Any suggestions?

How do you start the car?Do you put the gear into neutral and then remove your foot of the clutch and turn the ignition right?

Top Bottom