Ertiga ZDI: Rear Drum Brake Failure.

Thread Starter #1
hello guys first of all let me explain how i came to this conclusion.

Car Details :- Ertiga ZDi (1yr old ) . 21904Kms covered till now .
This problem started when i did 4th service from Maruti .
1st incident happened few days back when i was coming from Nasik (nh3) at speeds of 70-80kmph at when i tried to apply brakes to slow down i could feel brake paddle getting soft and spongy , quickly i pumped brake few times and some how managed to slow down before Toll Booth .
on Next day i went to SVC explained everything and some Tech head took Test drive of my car but couldn't find any defect or lack in braking performance of the car but once again he performed Full brake service and then released my vehicle .
Car did fine for next 2-3 days and then Today while going to my office (From Thane-Mumbai) i observed similar behavior like Brake paddle geting soft and spongy but this time in addition to this i could here a loud grinding noise coming from rear Left drum . I took small break checked brake oil level and everything looked ok. So then i report same to Maruti Help line and some mech from sai service came to check my car near my Office , He also took test drive and to my horror confirmed that Rear Left Drums are not working at all[frustration] , although he said that i can drive slowly back to my home and then visit my nearest SVC .

Now all i want ask that what could be the reason for brake failure at such early stage of ownership..?

Re: Ertiga ZDI : Rear drum brake failure.

Did our car bounced in a pot hole at high speed with 7-8 passengers boarded ?

Re: Ertiga ZDI : Rear drum brake failure.

As vu2gte suggested, ask them to take a look at the ABS.

Also if you notice the pedal getting soft and spongy means there is air entering the brake system.Ask them to check the cylinder inside the drums and also to make sure the liners have enough life in them.

Also ask them to detach the brake pipes from each wheel one at a time and then depress the pedal and make sure the master cylinder is generating pressure at each wheel and there is brake fluid coming out at each of the wheels.

Ask them to check the all brake valves and pipes, especially the vacuum pipes(rats tend to bite into them and also over time they can become dry and cause vacuum leak) and tighten everything properly.Then ask them to bleed the brakes.You can request them to use DOT 4 oil.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Issue resolved

[glasses] Hey konkantrip, jarpickle and vu2gte Thanks for your inputs.

1> Konkantrip why did you asked abou car jumping on pot holes with full load..? will it make such big difference or damages to any drums ? I can understand that it will put tons of extra load on rear wheels and other parts but didn't understood relation between drums and car jumping with full load (7-8 people) . Please elaborate .

2> As of now brake related issue is resolved by Navnit Motors Thane .

Diagnostic and Repairs :-
Brake failure in Rear Drum was due to some tiny stones came in between brake pads and Drum (Now i dont understand stone or any outside particle entering into Drums . I thought they are sealed properly ,never heard such things happening .) . Left Side Drum was working perfect , they performed brake bleeding and cleaning on both drums/ disks, topped up brake oil .

We took good 12kms of test drive in which we tested brakes in following speeds 20-0kmph - 40-0kmph, 80-0kmph , 85-0kmph . All this was away from highway/busy streets and i made sure no one is behind us while doing test . All went fine and brake felt all ok to me . ABS was kicked in 2-3 times as i jammed brakes instead of progressive braking .

Once Again Thank You every one . [:D]

Diagnostic and Repairs :-
Brake failure in Rear Drum was due to some tiny stones came in between brake pads and Drum (Now i dont understand stone or any outside particle entering into Drums .
Why the hell tech head SVC was not able to diagnose it?Though, MASS are known for no.1ASS, they often get exposed whenever they come across not so common problem. It is the msil engineering and careful handling of the car on the part of owners which prevents major problems at bay.

@v2gte, why brake would fell in case of ABSfailure?

@abhiwar - nice to hear that your issue was fixed. Did you ever hear creech noise when brake pedal was pressed. It is realyu weird to hear a stone entered betweeen brake pads.

Thread Starter #8
@v2gte, why brake would fell in case of ABSfailure?
My Wild Guess >>>Because brake fluid flows through ABS modules and there are few set of valves , in case of failure of ABS module there is a possibilities of brake failure .

Last edited:

Top Bottom