SX4 Overheated; Service Center Says Engine Head Damaged

Thread Starter #1
I have a Mumbai registered SX4 ZXi. Normally I stay in Gujarat and give the car there for service to a small Maruti authorised station.
Last week the car came back from 50K service. After a couple of days, on the way to Mumbai I suddenly noticed the temperature gauge at H and immediately took car on the side and the engine just stopped. On opening bonett, the radiator cap had come off (was on the side) and coolant was spilled all over, there was smoke from radiator. I let the car cool, later added a little coolant I had and managed to start car after a few tries. parked at nearest dhaba and called for tow truck and took to Mumbai to a reputed Maruti authorised service center. The car was also purchased from them but only the free services done there, rest in Gujarat. Car is almost 3 years old and I had got Lovato kit fitted by their distributor last year, passed by RTO.
Now, after keeping the car for 5 days, the service center guy tells me the head is damaged and needs replacement. He says the car seems to have run without coolant and hence this problem.
Total estimate is almost 94K!!! Of this 82K is for head, gasket, oil seal, replacement etc and other are smaller things.
I was going pretty fast on the highway and unfortunately did not glance at the temperature gauge early. But can this cause so much damage?
The service center also tells me that since I have fitted CNG outside, warranty is void, is this true?
Can we trust their word for it? Do have any option other than getting the head replaced?

Re: SX4 overheated, Service center says engine head damaged

Hi jesrani,
Sad to hear that. My Zen had the same complaints and was diagnosed late,I had to shell out 25000 to change the head gasket.CNG if not factory fitted will void warranty. My FNG will let me know the approximate costs involved by tomorrow.
Regards,
Aneesh.

Re: SX4 overheated, Service center says engine head damaged

I suggest that you go to an independent garage and get a second opinion as to whether the head has to be changed. As your warranty is void they will add whatever they want and your bill will be high. Rs 25k for changing a head gasket sounds unreal.

In most cases change of head is not required, instead they just face the head by a few mm. This is done to create a flat surface on the warped metal. I am 100% sure, if you take the car to any local garage and ask them for alternatives to changing head (I am sure, they will explain). Expect a bill of about 40K MAX(lathe work, mechanic labour, spares, gaskets kit etc). The issue is (as far as I know), most of SX4 parts are SGP and not MGP. So they might be costlier than usual swift/dzire parts.

What was the reason for the coolant cap to burst open? Failure of coolant pump? Please check with the service center for cause first then solution.

Get a second opinion at a good local garage don't underestimate local garage guys, usually if the car gets heated for the first time head can be faced (facing is required as head tends to change its shape from center due to overheating) get the head faced install a new head gasket & give it try Iam sure you will not face any problem & the best part all this work will be done under 5k Rs

Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. First the service person had told the gasket was damaged and then he said whole head unit needs to be changed. If I have to take car to another garage then would have to tow it as engine has been opened.
I suspected that the Gujarat service guy may not have tightened the cap properly so it came off, is that possible? If the coolant pump fails (why should it?) Would it blow the radiator cap?
Service person only saying that car overheated and hence this is happening.
If I take car away from there do I have to pay them for checking?
Anyone know a good local garage in Vile Parle/Juhu area?

Last edited:
If coolant pump fails, all the coolant tends to settle in the engine (no circulation through radiator), the coolant boils till blasts the Radiator cap (easiest way to get out). Some times using local salt water to dilute the coolant and not changing coolant for a very long time can also do damage to the coolant pump. Here is a pic of the coolant pump in M800.

Last edited:
As far as I know coolant pumps don't fail they leak, it could be that your fan failed if you want to test them tell them that you want to take the head and get it checked for warping if you have access to a knowledgeable person with you it would help.

Thread Starter #9
The service station in Mumbai says that my car does not show any service records in their system. The service center in my town is a small one and claims to be authorised. Is it possible that it is not connected to the Maruti system. Can i insist the Mumbai service center to repair the head and not replace it?

The service station in Mumbai says that my car does not show any service records in their system. The service center in my town is a small one and claims to be authorised.
Hi jesrani,
I think the service center guys are lying to you. As far as i know all MASS centers are linked to or connected to central servers. If you purchased your car at a dealer and didnt get the paid services done by the said dealer then they tend to say these kind of excuses. I suggest you contact the maruti customer care and get the issue sorted out.
Is it possible that it is not connected to the Maruti system. Can i insist the Mumbai service center to repair the head and not replace it?
Yes, tell them you have no intension of replacing the head and you require it to be repaired(say sternly ). Also ask for a quote for the repair if your car is out of warranty or extended warranty.
Thank you,
Satyabobby9

Last edited:
Jesrani:What is the status of the car?

If he head is warped too much, any amount of machining will not fix it.There are certain tolerances up to which the repairs can be made.

In case you feel the Mumbai service center is cheating you, call up the customer care at 18001021800 and verify if the service center in your town back in Gujarat is actually a M.A.S.S and incase it is mention the rest of the problem.

If your car is under warranty/ extended warranty you can atleast make sure they do not charge you labor on the repairs.

Please follow all the advice that the other members have given you.

Thread Starter #12
Just wanted to update. Car is now repaired and received back couple of days back. We insisted with service station to repair the head and do it under warranty as this problem is not because of cng. The have faced the head assembly and did done other service including ac, spark plug replace, coolant etc. Total cost to us was about 22k. They also disconnected the cng for time being. Car seems to be running fine, pickup seems less but maybe due to leads idling speed. Taking a bit longer to start too. Idling RPM is about 700, think it was 1000 earlier.

May be you can check with Speedyguy. He also has a SX4, he can tell you his idle RPM and no:of seconds it takes to start (just to compare with stock car). Are you planning to reconnect the CNG anytime soon?

Thread Starter #14
Hello everyone, opening this old thread of mine once again. My SX4, fitted with a Lovato CNG kit had overheated last year in October and I got it repaired at Sai Service Mumbai. They said head was damaged and at first had insisted to get whole unit repaired. Then on our insistence they said they had machined the head unit and car was almost running okay. CNG kit had been removed and we have not fitted it back. Now since last month car is not taking petrol properly and giving jerks. Got checked by Sai Service and they have cleaned the ignition coil and spark plugs, say nothing more is possible other than change the engine head. Also got checked by a smaller Maruti authorised service center in Khar. The person there checked the car for 1 day and said there was no compression in 2 chambers and would slowly lead to more damage. The car is under extended warranty still. Should we insist to Sai Service or Maruti to repair this under warranty? Is it possible? Can the head be repaired or we have to replace? Whom to in Maruti can we write to?

Hi jesrani and Other fellows,
I also have sx4 2009 model and running it on CNG since last 3 years. Now, it's getting shut down when I slow down the car or when put off my leg from accelerator. This is happening in both CNG and petrol. Since last one month I am running car only on petrol. When I shown my car to authorized service station where I used to go for car service, they are saying that engine head needs to be replaced and for this coast is around 40K to 45K. They are saying that this happened due to CNG and valve of 3rd cylinder (4 cylinder car) is damaged or leaked.
So, my question is should I go for engine head replacement and invest this much money for this car or just sell it out?
How much more will this car work after engine head replacement (i.e. How many kilometers or years ?) .
Will it work with CNG as well after replacement or I have to run it on petrol only?
jesrani : Have you opt for engine replacement? Was your car ran properly on CNG after head replacement or only in petrol? Any other problems you faced after engine head replacement?

Top Bottom