What’s Purpose of Capacitor in Distributor I.I.A of Toyota?

Thread Starter #1
My teacher said: In Igniton system used contact, capacitor have mission attraction electronic spark to protection contact

i want to that: if igniton system dont used contact, what is mission of capacitor
Thank

this is one

Capacitor at Distributor IIA.jpg

The primary winding of the ignition coil is wound with a small number of turns and has a small resistance. Applying the battery to this coil causes a sizable DC current to flow. The secondary coil has a much larger number of turns and therefore acts as a step-up transformer. But instead of operating on AC voltages, this coil is designed to produce a large voltage spike when the current in the primary coil is interrupted. Since the induced secondary voltage is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field through it, opening a switch quickly in the primary circuit to drop the current to zero will generate a large voltage in the secondary coil according to Faraday's Law. The large voltage causes a spark across the gap of the sparkplug to ignite the fuel mixture. For many years, this interruption of the primary current was accomplished by mechanically opening a contact called the "points" in a synchronized sequence to send high voltage pulses through a rotary switch called the "distributer" to the sparkplugs. One of the drawbacks of this process was that the interruption of current in the primary coil generated an inductive back-voltage in that coil which tended to cause sparking across the points. The system was improved by placing a sizable capacitor across the contacts so that the voltage surge tended to charge the capacitor rather than cause destructive sparking across the contacts. Using the old name for capacitors, this particular capacitor was called the "condenser".

Faraday's Law and Auto Ignition

Thread Starter #6
The primary winding of the ignition coil is wound with a small number of turns and has a small resistance. Applying the battery to this coil causes a sizable DC current to flow. The secondary coil has a much larger number of turns and therefore acts as a step-up transformer. But instead of operating on AC voltages, this coil is designed to produce a large voltage spike when the current in the primary coil is interrupted. Since the induced secondary voltage is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field through it, opening a switch quickly in the primary circuit to drop the current to zero will generate a large voltage in the secondary coil according to Faraday's Law. The large voltage causes a spark across the gap of the sparkplug to ignite the fuel mixture. For many years, this interruption of the primary current was accomplished by mechanically opening a contact called the "points" in a synchronized sequence to send high voltage pulses through a rotary switch called the "distributer" to the sparkplugs. One of the drawbacks of this process was that the interruption of current in the primary coil generated an inductive back-voltage in that coil which tended to cause sparking across the points. The system was improved by placing a sizable capacitor across the contacts so that the voltage surge tended to charge the capacitor rather than cause destructive sparking across the contacts. Using the old name for capacitors, this particular capacitor was called the "condenser".

Faraday's Law and Auto Ignition
Thanks freakdude because your answer
But perhaps my vocalary is a litte. This is reason you don't uderstand

my question mean that:

1 Igniton System used 'point' have condensor to avoid sparking across"point"

acording to develop of science

Igniton System dont used point, but i see have a condense at ditributor.
i myseft a question, no 'point' so will not appear sparking across "point"
What is mission of this condense

there is a person said: suppress ignition noise, i dont understand, condense can do that

Thank

By suppressing noise I meant electrical noise. To me this looks like a contact less distributor I think there is a hall sender visible.

Top Bottom