Fitting Brake Booster in Old Maruti 800 - Some Queries.

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I own a Maruti 800 1998 model. After going through many suggestions of installing a Brake Booster in older versions of the car, I checked with my mechanic if he could install one for me. He outrightly refused to do so and said that it was unsafe as some compression from the engine has to be brought into the brakes through a pipe / hose.I do not understood what he was trying to explain me [confused]
I checked the same from a couple of mechanics in this market and each of them refused.[frustration]

So my questions are
1. If safe why? & If not why?
2. Will it improve the performance of my car?
3. If safe,what will be the cost with labor?
4. If anyone knows a mechanic who can do this job for me, please let me know.

Please help me:help:

Last edited:
Re: Fitting Brake Booster in older version of Maruti 800 Some Queries

The first thing, finding that brake booster kit is not an easy job.

I am using one in my 97 800.No problem what so ever.

The engine vacuum is also used by the AC.In yours and my case since we do not have an AC fitting a brake booster won't cause any problems.

So my questions are
1. If safe why? & If not why? - Yes, it is safe.
2. Will it improve the performance of my car? No, it will improve the braking
3. If safe,what will be the cost with labor? Since the entire kit itself is hard to come by as a whole.Costs keep fluctuating.Labor would be anywhere from Rs 500-1000.Plus there is cost of new oil.Use DOT 4 for best results.
4. If anyone knows a mechanic who can do this job for me, please let me know: I know a lot of mechanics who will do this job.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Fitting Brake Booster in older version of Maruti 800 Some Queries

The first thing, finding that brake booster kit is not an easy job.

I am using one in my 97 800.No problem what so ever.

The engine vacuum is also used by the AC.In yours and my case since we do not have an AC fitting a brake booster won't cause any problems.

So my questions are
1. If safe why? & If not why? - Yes, it is safe.
2. Will it improve the performance of my car? No, it will improve the braking
3. If safe,what will be the cost with labor? Since the entire kit itself is hard to come by as a whole.Costs keep fluctuating.Labor would be anywhere from Rs 500-1000.Plus there is cost of new oil.Use DOT 4 for best results.
4. If anyone knows a mechanic who can do this job for me, please let me know: I know a lot of mechanics who will do this job.
Thanks,Jarpickle for reply.
Friend, my car have AC fitting (retro fitted AC)-not company fitted AC.
Can I fit the brake booster in my car with retro fitted AC?
will there be any problems with AC?[confused]
I have gone through this thread
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...es-booster-brand-new-clutch-maruti-800-a.html
After reading this I thought It is THE MOST important work should be carried out on my car.(Safety is most Important)
I will search in the market for KBX Brake Booster kit.
Please let me know if you know some place to get this kit in our area
please help me

The AC lines seem to be disconnected in the pictures that you posted.

The booster comes with a T joint so one end will be used by the booster and the other end by the AC.

The kit is not easy to find here.The best place to look is Opera House.

Thread Starter #6
The AC lines seem to be disconnected in the pictures that you posted.

The booster comes with a T joint so one end will be used by the booster and the other end by the AC.

The kit is not easy to find here.The best place to look is Opera House.
Thanks,Jarpickle
Today I went to my mechanic & enquied about power brakes,it's installation & cost
He gave me positive response & gave me rough estimate about Rs 5500/ with KBX kit & labor.
Friends,please tell me is it ok with the prise?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Hi, Friends.
Tomorrow I am planning to do power brake installation on my car.[:)]
I have fixed the lum sum amount (Rs 5000) with my mechanic including labour.
Today he called me on his garage to collect all the parts he purchased from the market. (He told me it is not safe to keep in his garage)

The list of parts
1) New KBX Brake booster + fitting kit
2) DOT4 oil
3) New brake lines.
(Personally I have enquired about the prise at DALVI AUTO CENTRE - Naupada Thane.Cost of KBX power booster + kit was 4200/)
I am posting few pics of parts

Attachments

Last edited:
Where are the brake lines?I can only see the ones that come with the kit.

I hope you have asked him to change all the brake lines from front to back.

Thread Starter #10
Where are the brake lines?I can only see the ones that come with the kit.

I hope you have asked him to change all the brake lines from front to back.
Yes,I have asked him to change all the brake lines.
Brake lines are with him ( I have seen those ).It was difficult to carry all these on a bike at home.

Thread Starter #13
Yesterday in the morning my mechanic called me & told that He is not feeling better as he is suffering from fever & will complete the work once he is ok.[surprise](may be on next sunday,as normally I get free time on sundays & I want to be present with my car during the work)
So waiting for the next sunday & his fitness for the work.

Thread Starter #15
Hi,Friends
First of all I should thank all of my TAI friends (especially Jarpickle) for guiding me in upgrading my brakes,With out which this task was almost impossible for me.
Yesterday I went to my mechanic for upgrading my brakes (Thank god he was fit & fine for work)[:)]
So he started work

Work done was as follows:-

First he removed old brake cylinder & brake lines.
Installed new KBX brake booster & new brake lines.
Connected brake lines to master cylinder & wheel cylinders.
Checked all four wheels,liners,brake shoes & wheel cylinders (Thank god it was OK)
Adjusted hand brake (it was slightly loose)
Installed T joint to intake manifold as shown in the pic.
One end of T joint he connected to Brake Booster & the other to A/C.
There was a small problem in between but we found quick solution to it.
The problem was -- male socket of new KBX booster reservoir lid has two connections.But the female socket on my car (to which the lid wires are connected) has three connections.So he used old cylinder lid.
Friends, is it advisable & safe?Please give me your opinion[confused]
----We took a small tea brake---
He filled the brake booster reservoir with brake oil (above maximum mark) & requested me to pump the brake pedal for few minutes.
When I was pumping the pedal(i.e - Pump several times then press full pedal),he bleed the brakes for several time in the following order(LT Rear - Rt Rear - Lt Front - Rt Front).
After bleeding rear brakes,he was going to bleed Rt front (But as advised by Jarpickle sir, I insisted him to bleed Lt Front first then go to Rt Front)Thank you sir for guiding me.
Then he adjusted the brake oil level up to the maximum mark by adding some more oil in booster reservoir.
He installed air filter & evaporator back in place.
Thank god there was approx one finger gap between air filter & brake booster.(I was most worried about the gap issue as it was seen in ss80's car)
He started the engine,kept idelling for some time & checked for leaks from master cylinder,brake lines & four wheels.(There was no leaks).

NOW IT WAS TIME FOR TESTING[drive] - We took the car on the road & tested the brakes.Even on crossing 40 to 50 Kms/hr it was effective & instant.(It was not so before fitting break booster).
To my surprice the brake pedal was smoother then before when engine was on & became hard when it was off.
We parked the car on the side of the road & he again took a close look for oil leaks (No leaks).

It took approx 4 to 5 hrs & cost me 5200/. I gave him 200/ extra ( for his good workmanship -- I think so).
once again sorry for delay.

I personally feel the money spent on this upgrade is worth & every owner of M800 should do this on their car.

Thanks a lot to Jarpickle for helping me out & giving useful advice and suggestions which helped me a lot.
I am posting few pics of work done.

Attachments

Top Bottom