My Maruti Baleno (44,000 Kms) Needs a New Gearbox

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,
I badly need some expert adivice from all my fellow TAIian.
I recently procured a 2006 baleno vxi. Done 44000 Kms.
After a general service and a few small problems sorted I was happy driving around in the city.
But,
Recently for the first time when I engaged the overdrive (5th gear)there is a obvious whining sound from the gearbox that worried me. On close observation there is a similar but softer sound in 4th too.
My mechanic said though the cars engine is good he said the gearbox may need to be replaced as the previous owner may have abused it by running without oil.
Now that was a shocker[confused]Even used baleno gearboxes retail for 25k and still don't know how good they will be and new ones are extremely expensive as they are all SGP parts Imported from Japan.

On asking a second opinion from another mechanic he said he can open the gearbox and may need to change 5th gear bearings and that may solve it. And he gave me a quote of 5-6k.

My queries.
1. Do baleno gearboxes breakdown and need replacement so early? (44k Kms)
2.will it reliable if I repair the existing gearbox?
3. Aren't gearboxes supposed to last the lifetime of the car?
4.has any one here replaced the gearbox of their car(any model?)

Re: My 44000kms baleno needs a new gearbox

First question - Are you 100% sure the car had run 44K? I have not heard of gearbox failures for a 44K old car, unless it had been abused very much.

Repairing is a better option than changing. But you need to find right mechanic.

Thread Starter #3
Re: My 44000kms baleno needs a new gearbox

First question - Are you 100% sure the car had run 44K? I have not heard of gearbox failures for a 44K old car, unless it had been abused very much.

Repairing is a better option than changing. But you need to find right mechanic.
Yeah It came as a surprise to me too that the gearbox failed soo soon.
I m quite sure about it havng done 44kkms but not serviced regularly.
Any recommendations for a good and reasonable mechanic for the work in Bangalore?

Last edited:
BTW you had an K10 rite ?

Some times the gear's fail. When they are not properly engaged.
Why not try the scrap yards, you would get a good one for 7-10k range. If you exchange the exisiting one it would come around 5k.

I will PM my local mechanic's number, just have a word with him.

1. Baleno gearbox usually wont give up at such low odo readings.
2. I have seen Baleno's (used car, 2nd owners) which have been used for over a lakh kilometer easily without any gearbox issues (confirmed with owners).
3. 25K is an atrocious quote for a used gearbox! The prices are more likely to be close to 10K max in Gujri (Scrapyard)
4. A scrapyard item wont necessarily be a working one, risk is high is scrapyard purchase
5. Do not exchange your working gearbox, unless you fit the pruchased one, what if the one you purchased is worse than the existing one?
5. I had my car (M800) bearings changed long back, no major difference as such
6. Whining noise can be ignored for a few thousand kilometers atleast
7. If at all you decide to go for it (scrapyard part idea), let me know, I will refer you a guy who can give you a quote over phone.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-19.html

Here is the link where you can find the M800 gearbox opened. Changing bearings is not costly, but it gives less satisfaction. In my case we changed most of the bearings in the gearbox, the whining noise reduced, only the shifting noise disappeared marginally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #6
thanks a lot varun and ss80.
I do own an alto k10 for 2 yrs.
i took opinion from trinity motors basaveshwarnagar (where it serviced by previous owner) and also from unity motors on magadi road ( a person i know)

trinity guy said It needs new 5th and 3rd gear bearings and new clutch pressure plates and gave a quote of 12-15k.
the unity motors guy said may need atleast 6 k if it is only bearings and may be more if more problems are detected when opened.
as Ss80 said i cant be sure if a scrapyard g box is going to be better than mine.
my contention is if my mechanic can overhaul my gearbox with good SGP parts which i can get from essar automobiles for about 10-15k i think im better off than taking a gamble buying a used gearbox from an unknown source.
im thinking of going to Unity motors asking him to open the box in front of me show me the defect and give me all the part numbers.
i will then ask for a quote from essar auto. if it is too much then i am thinking of looking for a used gearbox online ( i have shortlisted 2)

Best option is to rebuild the box.But opening a gearbox can be like opening a can of worms especially if the previous owner has run it without gear oil.

Get it opened and get the gearbox checked, asses the damage and then take a call.In the meanwhile contact SS80 and Varun and take the details of the scrap guy from them and try to get a good price on a used box.You can always get the gearbox assessed by your mechanic before you buy it.You can either buy a used gearbox or you can swap yours which would be the cheaper option.But if you have storage space you can buy a used gearbox and keep the damaged one.If problems arise later on you can swap parts.

Buying online is a big gamble, you will never know what you get till its delivered and then you can't do anything about it.

Thread Starter #9
Did you try to change the gear oil? Sometimes gearbox makes noises because the oil is too old and doesn't lubricate properly
Yeah I have got the gearbox oil changed a month ago as soon as i got the car. But the whining persists. My mechs aid it was low before he checked.

Somebody recommended adding some additive (like STP) to transmission and this may reduce the noise for sometime and prevent further damage.
Can someone shed some headlight on this?[confused]

Which oil vistosity and API grade did you use? if too thick it may need a lot of time to reach every place on the gearbox and if too thin it doens't make an oil film enough to prevent metal contact

On my M800 I had some noises when I used a API GL-5 80w90 geal oil, now I'm using a GL-4 75w85 and the noises has reduced (but not dissapeared) and the gear changing is smoother. Don't use additives, a good oil has enough additives to do its work.

Another thing, the clutch assembly has some bearings that can cause a lot of noises, you must be sure it's the gearbox and not the clutch.. the noise is still there when you press the clutch pedal? if no, still can be clutch or gearbox, but if yes it's the clutch

Thread Starter #12
Which oil vistosity and API grade did you use? if too thick it may need a lot of time to reach every place on the gearbox and if too thin it doens't make an oil film enough to prevent metal contact

On my M800 I had some noises when I used a API GL-5 80w90 geal oil, now I'm using a GL-4 75w85 and the noises has reduced (but not dissapeared) and the gear changing is smoother. Don't use additives, a good oil has enough additives to do its work.

Another thing, the clutch assembly has some bearings that can cause a lot of noises, you must be sure it's the gearbox and not the clutch.. the noise is still there when you press the clutch pedal? if no, still can be clutch or gearbox, but if yes it's the clutch
Thanks,
The sound is low but present in 4th and when I'm on the throttle and very obvious in5th gear heard only when accelator is depressed and gone when I take my foot off the acc pedal.

Baleno gearbox is known to whine put some nulon in and the whine will reduce considerably I did that some years ago

Thread Starter #14
hi,
after a brief hiatus i have some updates on my baleno gearbox issue.
i had it opened up and it is one big mess [cry]
But i guess it can be fixed reasonably well.
there were loose metal fragments inside gearbox! which may be bits of the 5th speed synch ring, hub assembly, 5th gear shift fork.
the previous owner ( i guess ) must have had an accident and the gearbox suffered some damage causing the oil to leak and some mechanic has done a lousy job of fixing it ( see attached photos)
and the 5 gear synchro and gear cog has suffered uneven damage.
I am planning to get a quotation for the above parts from essar automobiles and plan to replace them all SGP parts as much as possible.

note on images: i have to replace part nos 18 to 23 as per the parts catalogue in the last image

Attachments

Last edited:
Good that you posted the pictures, please do keep the thread updated about the parts cost. How are you planning to fix the damage on the gearbox? I doubt if aluminium welding can hold oil leakage?

Last edited:

Top Bottom