Ford Figo 1.2 AC Cuts Off Frequently

Thread Starter #1
My Figo's AC turns on and off every 10 secs or so. It doesn't matter if it is Idling or on highway same problem. Initially when I start it is is running for about a few mins. When I told it to the Mechanic he said this is normal in Figo. I find it hard to believe. My analysis is the Thermostat is not working properly and its cutting off the compressor even before the temp in cabin is reached.

But When the compressor is On then Cooling is good. Could you guys help me out here?
Could it be the problem with ECU or anything ?

any body faced similar problems?

Vimal

Hi Vimal,
I did not face this issue nor my friends owning Figo.
The following are the AC issues commenly faced by us. May be faced by other Figo owners as well.
1. Let's assume your AC has been running for more than 45-60 minutes. If the AC is switched off and immediatly on, you may notice(sometimes ) mist coming out of AC vents(you will mistake it for smoke). I Have noticed it mainly on highways. We were told by Ford A.S.S that this is quite normal.
2. Whenever you switch on the AC , you get a bad smell coming out of the AC vents but goes off within a minute. If you face this issue, your AC vents needs disinfection. Your vents had developed bacterial or fungal growth. This is very common during monsoon or winter. This may also happen if your car is parked (not under direct sun) for a more than a month.

Lets' come to your issue,
If your vehicle is under warranty, thermostat replacement is covered under warranty. I had my thermostat replaced under warranty once.
I hope you are checking out with the Ford A.S.S mechanics not local mechanics. If not, I would recomend you to visit nearby Ford autorized service centre. They should be able to help you out.
Thanks,
Balamurugan..

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Bala for your reply. Could you tell me the approx cost here for thermostat replacement. This is not covered under warranty for me.

* About the mist thing , yeah I have noticed that
* Foul smell is also there. I will be taking my car to 3M car care and cleaning . But before all that I would like to take care of this Ac tripping issue.

Thanks Bala for your reply. Could you tell me the approx cost here for thermostat replacement. This is not covered under warranty for me.

* Foul smell is also there. I will be taking my car to 3M car care and cleaning . But before all that I would like to take care of this Ac tripping issue.
Don't worry about the mist. Sometimes Ice will be formed inside the Ac evaporator, and the moment the blower is on, the ice will be blown out through the vent and it comes as a mist. It is just like, you open a frost free refrigerator's freezer compartment, you can see the same thing. I would advice, before you switch off the engine, run the Ac blower high with out the compressor on for few minutes, so that all the ice formed inside the evaporator will melted and blown out, which will stop fungus formation inside.

Check out these points

*Thermostat
*A/c filter
*A/c compressor/oil
*Check whether evaporator is choked up

Hi Vimal,
I also suspect air conditioner's capacitor.
I am not an AC expect but here goes my reason for suspecting AC capacitor.
Have you seen our home AC's frequent trip during low voltage. The low voltage may be sufficient to run the AC in fan mode initially. When the compressor kicks in the current drawn would be more than 4 Amps(depends on your AC capacity) and voltage would furter drop below and AC would get tripped. The AC woud restart in fan mode.
Similar thing may be happening in your car AC too. When your compressor kicks in , the faulty capacitor would fail to maintaing the required input levels of a compressor. resulting in AC trip.

Last edited:
My Figo's AC turns on and off every 10 secs or so. It doesn't matter if it is Idling or on highway same problem. Initially when I start it is is running for about a few mins. When I told it to the Mechanic he said this is normal in Figo. I find it hard to believe. My analysis is the Thermostat is not working properly and its cutting off the compressor even before the temp in cabin is reached.

But When the compressor is On then Cooling is good. Could you guys help me out here?
Could it be the problem with ECU or anything ?

any body faced similar problems?

Vimal
As how AC works, the Compressor will cut off once the cabin is cooled to the desired temperature as per the climate control settings. This happens when the cold air in the cabin is recirculated in to the Compressor and it's cold enough to the desired level. It would go on again once the cabin air gets hotter than it should be. However, this change is unnoticed to the user as it happens in less than a sec. time.

Also, please check the Climate Control Setting, Air Supply Directions (Head/Feet/Windshield), Re-circulation Mode Setting etc.

If all are perfect and your issue is different than the above, then you need to get it checked by FASS and replace anything necessary under warranty or chargeable as applicable.

I had my thermostat replaced under warranty once.
Hi Bala - For what reason it's replaced?

For Mist, please check Air Direction Setting, if it's pointed to Windshield and the outside climate is humid, then the mist formation is inevitable. In such cases, you can change the Air Direction to Face or turn it to heater instead.

3M may be good, have not tried yet. However, an inexpensive and easy way to clear such fungus is to switch off the re-circulation mode for few a minute or so before you reach your destination as a regular practice. Just make sure that in such situation is not dusty, smoke or any other external odor. Sometimes, you can keep it so and turn it on to heater as well. With that, keep a refreshner (Natural ones) and use it sparingly.

Others have pointed some real good things to check
I'd ask you to get the relay checked too . It might be worth to swap the relays from the fuse box and see if that happens again.
Thermostat sends the signal to cut the aircon off , so thats the other thing

can you hook up your laptop with the car (with obd) and read for any error codes?

Let us know how you go

Thread Starter #9
Thank you guys. Problem is solved now
Culprit: Faulty Thermostat.

Yesterday I took it to a professional Ac mechanic . He checked them all.

Filter: Good
Condenser/ cooling coils: No leakage
Compressor: Good
Then we checked that the Thermostat was working fine but was giving the signal to cut off compressor even before temperature is reached in cabin. Replaced that with a new one and is working Fine . [:D]

The Thermostat with Fitting costed about Rs. 700

Last edited:
Last weekend, when I was on the trip to Wayanad, the AC became ineffective after about 150 KMs. The blow was also lesser than usual with some strange noise. I switched it off for about 1 hour and again started, it worked normal. Again, while returning back last night, the problem recurred and I switched it off. It's normal again this morning. Any idea on this issue?

Thank you guys. Problem is solved now
Culprit: Faulty Thermostat.

Yesterday I took it to a professional Ac mechanic . He checked them all.

Filter: Good
Condenser/ cooling coils: No leakage
Compressor: Good
Then we checked that the Thermostat was working fine but was giving the signal to cut off compressor even before temperature is reached in cabin. Replaced that with a new one and is working Fine . [:D]

The Thermostat with Fitting costed about Rs. 700
Great Vimal. Didn't you change it with FASS under warranty?

Thread Starter #11
Last weekend, when I was on the trip to Wayanad, the AC became ineffective after about 150 KMs. The blow was also lesser than usual with some strange noise. I switched it off for about 1 hour and again started, it worked normal. Again, while returning back last night, the problem recurred and I switched it off. It's normal again this morning. Any idea on this issue?
Well It looks like your Cars AC problem is occurring after driving for quite some time.
Problems I could think off
1. Compressor belt getting Hot Or compressor itself is Faulty.
2. Refrigerant Pressure (low/ High)
3. Check your Radiator/ Coolant level as well and try Flushing the Fins clearing the Dirt.

If it was thermostat or gas leakage issues you must have had that at the start Itself and you say it started working normally after some time.

Great Vimal. Didn't you change it with FASS under warranty?
Its a 3 year old Figo. Very recently got it in Seconds. All other systems are maintained properly. Even AC cooling was good , Just that frequent Tripping was freaking me out.

Well It looks like your Cars AC problem is occurring after driving for quite some time.
Problems I could think off
1. Compressor belt getting Hot Or compressor itself is Faulty.
2. Refrigerant Pressure (low/ High)
3. Check your Radiator/ Coolant level as well and try Flushing the Fins clearing the Dirt.

If it was thermostat or gas leakage issues you must have had that at the start Itself and you say it started working normally after some time.
Thanks. Have given it in the service center for some other work and also have mentioned about it. Let's see.

hi mr. vimal. am javeeth from tamil nadu. am also facing the same problem in my figo zxi. and i have found that thermostat is the problem. pls tell me where you buy that thermostat.

any one help me to buy the thermostat for ford figo zxi diesel.

hi mr. vimal. am javeeth from tamil nadu. am also facing the same problem in my figo zxi. and i have found that thermostat is the problem. pls tell me where you buy that thermostat.

any one help me to buy the thermostat for ford figo zxi diesel.
Try this address

Eureka Ford Parts
P M Towers(Basement)
No 37,Greams Road,Thousand Lights
Chennai – 600006
Tel: +91 044 43099989
eurekafordparts@gmail.com

Its the authorized spares dealer for Ford.

Top Bottom