Maruti Suzuki Zen: Technical Issues & Solutions

Thread Starter #1
My 10 year old zen just had a problem, first noticed that the ac was tripping and then restarting on its own. Next found on stopping the car a burning smell inside the car, and after opening the bonnet a strong burning smell.
Allowed the car to cool down, and then while driving home, about 18 km, got a rattling noise while starting off from stop on first gear, this happened through out the stretch home. Also noticed that the temp gauge was moving to the high end.
S, are all these problems related? All happened on the same day.
Help please before I take it to the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Problems with Maruti Zen: Help required

Dear Jayant, welcome to The Automotive India!

The burning smell is a sure enough indication of a worn out clutch. Get it checked. In case clutch plate replacement is required, please do get the pressure plate and the release bearing changed along with it.

For the ac tripping problem, look out for any lose fuse. Since the temperature is rising too, check the radiator/condensor fan and the relay for malfunction since it would increase the pressure of the refrigerant and cause the ac to trip. Check the coolant level as well. Does the tripping happen at low speeds only or at all speeds? How many kilometres has your Zen run? A weak engine (weak compression) may also overheat the engine.

10 year old Zen. Is it a MPFI model? If yes then we may have to get after the ECU in case the above does not resolve the ac tripping problem.

Regards,
Sam

Re: Problems with Maruti Zen: Help required

Please check the engine oil, coolant and other oils as well as break pad and clutch plates. Not sure on the AC though. If oil levels are low dont drive or there are chances of engine getting ceased.

Re: Problems with Maruti Zen: Help Required

Check the AC gas level.Have you serviced the AC compressor at the regular intervals?

You could have burnt the compressor clutch.

If it is an ECU problem, just remove the battery terminals and it will reset itself.

If the car's cluth is faulty, the car won't pull and the RPM's will be higher than the actual speed of the car.

Please update the thread as soon as you get these things checked.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks all. Sent the car to the maruti workshop, all they said was that the coolant had leaked out and that the temperature was rising due that . Anyway, they will test all and will return the car in a day or two, will post about the final analysis.

Jayant a similar incident had happened with one of the forum member's zen.

Due to the overheating and lack of attention and timely checking the cylinder head warped causing all sorts of engine problems.Please make sure you ask the workshop to check the same.

If there is a leak with the radiator or with the overflow tank, replace them.Mended radiators leak every now and then.

Now will also be a good time to change the metal pipe and rubber pipes that circulate the coolant to the engine and connect to the radiator.

Last edited:

Thanks all. Sent the car to the maruti workshop, all they said was that the coolant had leaked out and that the temperature was rising due that . Anyway, they will test all and will return the car in a day or two, will post about the final analysis.
Dear Jayant my Zen had exactly the same problem, but it was diagnosed late.The engine head had developed wear and had to be replaced.Please ask them to check.

Dear Jayant my Zen had exactly the same problem, but it was diagnosed late.The engine head had developed wear and had to be replaced.Please ask them to check.
There are a few other members who had the similar problem.You need to monitor the temperature needle very closely in this car.In case of overheating the head needs to be checked.

@Jayant: Agree with the member's opinion above. While your car is at the workshop, ask them to check the engine compression as well.

Fuel meter always on

My 98 Zen's fuel meter is always on, right from when I got it. By this, I mean that even after switching off the ignition, still the fuel meter needle stays on the level. It doesn't go down to zero like in other vehicles. I guess that means the fuel meter is directly connected to the battery. So my questions are,
1. Is this safe, for it to be always on?
2. What is the practice in modern cars nowadays? Always on or offs when ignition is off?
3. Should I re-wire it to "ignition-off"?

Top Bottom