My Corolla Won’t Start. Hearing Knocking Sound Upon Cranking.

Thread Starter #1
Hi, I haven't used corolla since 1 week , My corolla is petrol + cng.
So today morning @ 6.45 am , I cranked the starter car started for few seconds , after that Car won't start ,But when I turn the key I hear knocking sound like " futarrrr " ,, so whats the problem ? seems like battery is dead ? but why this knocking sound when i crank ??

Re: Corolla won't start , hearing knocking sound when i crank the key ??

Please elaborate the futarr sound. Is it a click- click sound (relay sound) or motor sound (the starter motor)
To check the fuel pump. sit inside the car and turn the key from ACC to IGN. A humming sound must be heard. This sound stops in 2-3 seconds. Its the fuel pump which supplies fuel to the fuel rail. If this sound is not heard, locate the fuse box in your car and then find the fuel pump fuse. If the fuse is broken, replace it and then check again. If the fuel pump has started working the car will start.

If you are hearing the fuel pump humming then fuel pump is ok. Now check the starter motor and battery. Is the starter motor cranking (trying to start the car) If no then your starter motor relay is faulty or the connection from battery to motor is faulty. If the motor is also cranking then its petrol/cng supply issue. Also check the battery voltage using a multimeter.

Thread Starter #4
Re: Corolla won't start , hearing knocking sound when i crank the key ??

I called my mechanic , He said Battery Must be dead , So I gave my battery for charging , I checked the battery there it was discharged , I will get battery tomorrow .
My mechanic said that furrrr sound came because battery was dead .I'll post when I will attach the battery tomorrow !!

Its either fuel/ low battery.

If its fuel related issue, please go by the detailed steps mentioned by Shantanu. If none work then try to start the car using CNG mode (not sure if you have such an option).

Easy way to check if battery is weak:
1. Get inside the car switch on the cabin lamp, now press the horn once or twice. When you press the horn if the cabin lamp dims, then its a low battery issue.

Also if you suspect any stray current/ power leakage in the car/accessories in the car then, remove the key, disconnect the central locking fuse & now remove on of the terminals in the battery. If there is any accessory still working after the key is taken out, then there will be a small spark when you reconnect the battery terminal. Also ensure when you do this the cabin lamp should be switched off.

If you have recently changed engine oil then it could be the spark plugs which needs replacement.

If battery doesn't have enough power to crank ( starter motor) then you will hear click sounds, try to charge the battery and then try to start the car
if that doesn't help , means your Fuel pump could be dead. how many kms have you clocked so far?

Some checks:
1.Charge battery and crank. If cars starts for few seconds and then dies means fuel pump needs replacement

2. IF car doesn't start at all , open the spark plug and see if the spark plug is entirely filled with carbon - try cleaning them all , it might get your car up and running

3. After charging battery,try to crank and if the starter motor makes weird sound , this could mean your starter motor /carbon bushes needs replacement.

Hope these tricks help.

Last edited:
Don't crank the engine for more than 15 seconds else you will burn the starter motor.

Check the cables from the battery to the starter motor as well.

What ever battery you decide to get go with the 3/5 year warranty ones.They have thicker plates to make sure they battery lasts that long.

Alternatively, you can go with the battery with the least amount of warranty and use it till it lasts and then change it out again.Check the price difference with the least warranty period offering and the highest warranty period offering.If you can buy 2 short warranty batteries at the price of 1 long warranty battery.Go for the former.Fresh batteries are always better.

Re: My Corolla Won’t Start. Hearing Knocking Sound Upon Cranking.

If Knocking Sound Upon Cranking.

Ideal technical solution is to check the battery voltage using a multimeter. If during ignition or after, the battery voltage drops below 10.7v on a 12v battery, the battery is completing its life. Need to replace.

Anyway, you have changed the battery. Keep a check on the liquid level once in three months.

Top Bottom