Tyre Related Issues in Maruti Swift Dzire VDi

Thread Starter #1
hello all . thanks for letting me in on this forum .

I have a swift dzire vdi which is almost 2 years old and has done 35,000 kms . Since the purchase of this Car I am having a lot of tyre noise while braking or when in motion below 30 kmph speed . I guess after this threshold the noise from tyres is suppressed by other sounds like engine noise or wind . The tyres in my car are stock tyre ie JK Tyre(TORNADO) which Maruti usually provides in diesel dzires . What can be the problem ? The car has been regularly serviced and wheel alignment , balancing and rotation has been done at every 5000 km interval as I use city roads for 90% of the time . I have heard from some tyre distributors that JK is not at par with that of bridgestone or good year . Please help me on this . My Innova has Good Year tyres and they are perfectly silent .

JK tyres use a hard compound which is very good for longevity buy falls short on suppressing road noise. You can change your tires with those of other brands that offer lower noise levels.

If you want least road noise, go for Michelin.I have Bridstones and they are noisy as well.Peformance of Bridgestone and Michelin is comparable, but Michelins are quieter.I have not used good year so cannot comment on that.

Thread Starter #4
JK tyres use a hard compound which is very good for longevity buy falls short on suppressing road noise. You can change your tires with those of other brands that offer lower noise levels.
Since Dzire has quiet narrow tyres due to FE , if a change my tyres to somewhat broader tyre will it effect my FE or suspension in any way . I like the michelin tyres . A friend of mine has them in his Indigo Manza and they are almsot silent . No tyre noise whatsoever .

If you want least road noise, go for Michelin.I have Bridstones and they are noisy as well.Peformance of Bridgestone and Michelin is comparable, but Michelins are quieter.I have not used good year so cannot comment on that.
I like the Michelin tyre too . They are broader and look nice . I just want to ask you this since my tyre are only 35k kms old a lot of life is left in them atleast another 15k kms . Is it good to change my cars tyre now or should I wait for the rest of their life .[confused]. I can bear the noise but I dont want to do unecassary expenses . I just wanted to know that is something wrong with my tyres or not . Also moving to Michelin , will they affect my Cars FE which is around 16.5-18 kmpl in city with AC on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it good to change my cars tyre now or should I wait for the rest of their life .[confused]. I can bear the noise but I dont want to do unecassary expenses .
Normally tire life span over 50K KM or 3 years which ever comes first need to be replaced. This is span where the tyre can give you the best.
I think you can wait for either of the two to happen. Why to spend for something you can adjust. The more money you will spend more comfort you will get.

Last edited:
Do not do anything now since you do not want to go for any unnecessary expense. The JKs will easily last you for another 25000 kilometres if you do regular wheel rotation, alignment, and balancing. You could then safely go for a tire that is 20mm wider than the present JKs without any significant effect on fuel efficiency or damage to the suspension components.

IMO, tyre noise could be because of multiple reasons.

(1) The tread pattern - Some of performance tyres (which look sporty as well) usually produce lot of road noise. I suffered with Yokohama S drive tyres on my previous car after crossing 20,000kms. Please opt for touring tyres, which offer comfortable and quiet ride. Each manufacturer has touring tyres (Bridgestone Turanza, Michelin Primacy etc), which provide maximum ride comfort and minimal noise too.

(2) Compound - As some one pointed out already in this thread, if compound used is hard tyre noise will be high. I am told even MRF <not sure of model> & Goodyear Duraplus which is built for mileage develops some noise after 30,000 kms (I haven't personally experienced. Just sharing what I heard)

(3) Low usage - If car is not regularly used, the tyres tend to become hard irrespective of manufacturer or above aspects. But in your case you seem to using regularly since you have done 35,000kms in 2 years.

IMO, since you have extracted atleast 70% from OEM tyres, switch to any of the proven silent tyres. Trust me, you wont regret the money spent.

Note: I exchanged stock Goodyear Duraplus tyres on my Ertiga for Michelin Primacy and immediately experienced whole new driving experience. Apart from this I have personally experienced silent rides with Bridgestone Turanza tyres. Both are equally good.

With respect your comment on impact of broader tyres on mileage, it will be negligible in my opinion (2 - 3%). I am running 195 (+10mm) on my Ertiga and I am getting around 17.5kmpl in regular city / highway mixed usage and 18kmpl on highway.

Last edited:
If you have inflated the tires correctly and have rotated them at regular intervals the tires will last another 1-2 years.Do monitor the tread wear on the tires.If think they loose grip when driving means you need to change them.

If you are comfortable with the stock size of tires, stick with the same size.You can go for a different make.

Thread Starter #9
Normally tire life span over 50K KM or 3 years which ever comes first need to be replaced. This is span where the tyre can give you the best.
I think you can wait for either of the two to happen. Why to spend for something you can adjust. The more money you will spend more comfort you will get.
My car is almost 25 months old so still there are 11 months left for years . And during this period my car would have run almost 50k km after which I will definitely change the tyre and will go for Michelin as I like them a lot . Apart from the noise , the JK's have served me good without even a single flat tire till date . My spare tyre is still unused .

Do not do anything now since you do not want to go for any unnecessary expense. The JKs will easily last you for another 25000 kilometres if you do regular wheel rotation, alignment, and balancing. You could then safely go for a tire that is 20mm wider than the present JKs without any significant effect on fuel efficiency or damage to the suspension components.
Thanks Sam . Also i want to ask that the schedule for wheel alignment , balancing and rotation that I have been following after every 5k km interval ok or not . Is there something else that I can do to prolong the life of tyre ?

If you have inflated the tires correctly and have rotated them at regular intervals the tires will last another 1-2 years.Do monitor the tread wear on the tires.If think they loose grip when driving means you need to change them.

If you are comfortable with the stock size of tires, stick with the same size.You can go for a different make.
I keep 36 psi in front and 33 psi in the back as instructed by the company . Also there is no extra wear and tear on the tyre and still good amount of rubber is left on them . But driving my dzire I still feel that there is not enough braking power . I drove a friend of mines dzire and it felt the same . Is this an issue with diesel dzires or the tyre . Last service I got the brake pads checked and they are quiet good for a car with 34k on odo . M.A.S.S says that braking on Dzire is slightly less then swift and ritz . Is that the case ?

IMO, tyre noise could be because of multiple reasons.

(1) The tread pattern - Some of performance tyres (which look sporty as well) usually produce lot of road noise. I suffered with Yokohama S drive tyres on my previous car after crossing 20,000kms. Please opt for touring tyres, which offer comfortable and quiet ride. Each manufacturer has touring tyres (Bridgestone Turanza, Michelin Primacy etc), which provide maximum ride comfort and minimal noise too.

(2) Compound - As some one pointed out already in this thread, if compound used is hard tyre noise will be high. I am told even MRF <not sure of model> & Goodyear Duraplus which is built for mileage develops some noise after 30,000 kms (I haven't personally experienced. Just sharing what I heard)

(3) Low usage - If car is not regularly used, the tyres tend to become hard irrespective of manufacturer or above aspects. But in your case you seem to using regularly since you have done 35,000kms in 2 years.

IMO, since you have extracted atleast 70% from OEM tyres, switch to any of the proven silent tyres. Trust me, you wont regret the money spent.

Note: I exchanged stock Goodyear Duraplus tyres on my Ertiga for Michelin Primacy and immediately experienced whole new driving experience. Apart from this I have personally experienced silent rides with Bridgestone Turanza tyres. Both are equally good.

With respect your comment on impact of broader tyres on mileage, it will be negligible in my opinion (2 - 3%). I am running 195 (+10mm) on my Ertiga and I am getting around 17.5kmpl in regular city / highway mixed usage and 18kmpl on highway.
I'll definitely go for Michelins but not for another 10 months or so . Even after that I change to Michelin what should I do with the spare tyre as it is still unused . Should I change that as well or leave it as it is ? As I'll be going for broader tyre and JK is quiet a narrow tyre .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear q7rish5s,

1. Tire expiry life is 4 years and not 3 years from the date of manufacture. This date is usually stamped on its sidewall.

2. 5000 kms is a safe distance to practice rotation, alignment, and balancing. Spare wheel has to be rotated too.

3. In order to prolong the life of tire: a) accelerate gradually, b) brake gently and never brake unnecessarily, c) do not drive at high speeds, d) do not park your car under the sun, e) remove any embedded stones, sharp objects in the tread daily, f) keep the tires inflated to manufacturer recommended pressure, g) wash the tires with plain water, h) do not take sharp turns at high speeds, i) practice regular rotation, alignment, and balancing, j) get the suspension checked at every service, and k) keep visiting TAI for more tips[thumbsup].

4. The Dzire (non ABS) definitely has weak braking a part of which could well be attributed to the tires.

5. Exchange the spare tire for a new one as and when you decide to replace the current set.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Dear q7rish5s,

1. Tire expiry life is 4 years and not 3 years from the date of manufacture. This date is usually stamped on its sidewall.

2. 5000 kms is a safe distance to practice rotation, alignment, and balancing. Spare wheel has to be rotated too.

3. In order to prolong the life of tire: a) accelerate gradually, b) brake gently and never brake unnecessarily, c) do not drive at high speeds, d) do not park your car under the sun, e) remove any embedded stones, sharp objects in the tread daily, f) keep the tires inflated to manufacturer recommended pressure, g) wash the tires with plain water, h) do not take sharp turns at high speeds, i) practice regular rotation, alignment, and balancing, j) get the suspension checked at every service, and k) keep visiting TAI for more tips[thumbsup].

4. The Dzire (non ABS) definitely has weak braking a part of which could well be attributed to the tires.

5. Exchange the spare tire for a new one as and when you decide to replace the current set.

Regards,
Sam
Thanks Sam for the update . I'll certainly keep the above tips in mind and if the life of tire is 4 years than its even more good for me . I get the car aligned from off market but a very trusted shop which is also a big dealer for Michelin and Good Year . There the service guy also told me at that tire still have juice left in them for a long time as he also praised the JK's for their longetivity . About my 'Innova' which has run around 55k kms in 1.5 years the tire change is about to come . It has company fitted Good Year tire which are now fading away . What do you suggest that I replace them with the same or any other brand . I have heard that Appolo Acelere is also a good tire and quiet sucessfull in Innova . whats the best recommended tire for Innova ? I can spend for the high end tires too .

There's nothing as the 'best'. Everything depends on what your requirements are. Tires like, sayJK Vectras would offer excellent wear resistance but poor noise levels and grip while tires like, say Michelin Energy XM3s would offer excellent grip and ride comfort but may not last for as long.

So what do you want for your Innova[thinking]?

My car is almost 25 months old so still there are 11 months left for years . And during this period my car would have run almost 50k km after which I will definitely change the tyre and will go for Michelin as I like them a lot . Apart from the noise , the JK's have served me good without even a single flat tire till date . My spare tyre is still unused .
IMO, as long as car is used constantly used you needn't pay much attention to 3 or 4 years as expiry duration. One of my friends extracted close to 90,000kms on his OEM tyres over a period of 6 years. No issues whatsoever except some punctures towards end of life. Unless car is parked for longer intervals intermittently, you needn't change the tyre after 4 years.

Thanks Sam . Also i want to ask that the schedule for wheel alignment , balancing and rotation that I have been following after every 5k km interval ok or not . Is there something else that I can do to prolong the life of tyre ?
I always followed 5000kms interval for wheel balancing, rotation and alignment irrespective of service schedule. Also, it is a good idea to identify a well-equipped neighborhood wheel alignment center instead of trusting Authorized SS.

I keep 36 psi in front and 33 psi in the back as instructed by the company . Also there is no extra wear and tear on the tyre and still good amount of rubber is left on them . But driving my dzire I still feel that there is not enough braking power . I drove a friend of mines dzire and it felt the same . Is this an issue with diesel dzires or the tyre . Last service I got the brake pads checked and they are quiet good for a car with 34k on odo . M.A.S.S says that braking on Dzire is slightly less then swift and ritz . Is that the case ?
Is your friend using different set of tyres or JK? Braking issue could again be because of tyre compound. Since you are mentioning about noise as well, there is likelihood of tyres becoming little hard because of which they are noisy and poor on braking too.

I'll definitely go for Michelins but not for another 10 months or so . Even after that I change to Michelin what should I do with the spare tyre as it is still unused . Should I change that as well or leave it as it is ? As I'll be going for broader tyre and JK is quiet a narrow tyre?
If all tyres are of the same size, best practice is to rotate the spare wheel also to extract maximum life. Since you haven't used the spare tyre at all, you can opt to change just 4 tyres and keep it as spare itself (if it is not losing pressure & replacement tyres are of same size). You can get it inspected by tyre shop guys at time of replacement. If you are planning to replace with different width then you might want to replace all 5 tyres.

My spare on previous car was unused for 1,10,000kms over 5 years until I sold the car. No puncture in entire 5 years (1st Set - Yokohama exchanged for OEM tyres; 2nd set - Michelin Primacy changed @ 45,000kms; 3rd set changed @1,00,000kms - Bridgestone Turanza).

I reckon you've pumped too much air in the tyres , this could be the problem . harder it gets noisier it gets I suppose.

Depends on the type of roads too -gravel /rough etc, type of thread pattern and the type of alloys you have on the car. if the alloys are 5 spiked from middle of the tyre ring then there shouldn't be a humming sound . but if the Alloys are like a hollow ring from the inside then it produces the humming noise

I had michelin 235 R18 low profile on my skyline lasted me around 2 years ( around 5000kms) but never had noise issues.

There could be another reason.

If any of wheel bearings have failed now or in the past (it will also produce a humming sound), it will lead to patchy wear pattern in tyres. Any good tyre shop will be able to confirm the same.

Top Bottom