Hindustan Ambassador Engine Swap: Need Help

Thread Starter #1
hi, i bought an ambassador with matador engine yesterday for 40k. good engine and good body condition. there are some electrical works to be done. the dashboard is badly damaged. i would like to fit isuzu engine with isuzu 5 speed gear box. is it possible to get a new one are go for used, is it possible to fit disc brakes in front wheel. do i have to change the shock absorber? how much the engine and gearbox cost new and used one. do i have to endorse this engine change in rc book.

waiting for the answers in anticipation

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hindustan Ambassador Engine Swap: Need Help.

Dear Samson, welcome to The Automotive India!

What is the model year of your Ambassador? Which Isuzu engine do you want to fit - the 1.8 petrol or the 2.0 diesel? In all probability you would have to go for a used engine as new ones, even if available would cost you more than the value of your entire car. Yes you can fit disc brakes on the front wheels PROVIDED you have access to a good workshop. You may have to make alterations to the suspension depending on what model year is your car. Yes you will have to get the engine transplant endorsed in the RC.

There are a couple of good Ambassador restoration threads on our Forum like this one http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ovating-my-hindustan-ambassador-new-post.html. Search for them, they'd answer a lot of your queries.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:
Re: Hindustan Ambassador Engine Swap: Need Help.

hi, i bought an ambassador with matador engine yesterday for 50,000 & good engine and good body condition. i would like to fit isuzu engine with isuzu 5 speed gear box. is it possible to get a new one are go for used, is it possible to fit disc brakes.how much the engine and gearbox cost new and used one. do i have to endorse this engine change in rc book .Is it possible in coimbatore.My car model is 1979.

Waiting for your reply.

Hi Prem

Engine conversion is not possible now in Tamilnadu. Because they will not endorse the new engine details in RC book. Its not at all advisable to drive the vehicle without engine endorsement in RC book. If your car has standard 4 speed gear box, you can very well fit an Isuzu 5 speed gearbox. It will give you a better mileage for sure.

Other alterations like disc brake can be done without hassles. If you was so particular in Isuzu engined car, then you should have purchased an Ambassador with Isuzu engine endorsed in RC book. Me too was having a 1984 Ambassador with Imported B1 Isuzu. But that was converted from Matador in 1999 itself. That time endorsements and engine conversions were quite common.

Hi Prem

Engine conversion is not possible now in Tamilnadu. Because they will not endorse the new engine details in RC book. Its not at all advisable to drive the vehicle without engine endorsement in RC book. If your car has standard 4 speed gear box, you can very well fit an Isuzu 5 speed gearbox. It will give you a better mileage for sure.

Other alterations like disc brake can be done without hassles. If you was so particular in Isuzu engined car, then you should have purchased an Ambassador with Isuzu engine endorsed in RC book. Me too was having a 1984 Ambassador with Imported B1 Isuzu. But that was converted from Matador in 1999 itself. That time endorsements and engine conversions were quite common.
Hi shrikanth, mine is also same model 1984 and Isuzu b1 engine just week before I do my FC work in rto office in my book d1 and engine no entered I brake inspector told this matador engine in book on car Isuzu engine it's wrong nu told in your book how it's engine no entered. And what crown and pinion in your car place reply because in.my car 8 teeth pinion and crown because pickup and mileage drop also.

Top Bottom