Dangerous Things NOT To Ignore on Your Car!

Thread Starter #1
danger.PNG halloween-cars-20.jpg
Pic source:commons.wikimedia.org
FreakingNews.com - News Photoshop Pictures Contests - home page

I wish I had someone to educate me about basic car ownership. No one from my family and friend circle likes cars. My driving instructor couldn't care less, even when I asked questions. I had to fend myself from the mechanics and A.S.S. people who loved to take advantage of my situation. Even after spending money, I faced problems. To add to my woes, my family loves to change cars every 5 years on the dot. Hence, I never could really get to solve many a problem properly. Today, I am jotting down the few things that I feel should never be ignored, whether you are an enthusiast or not. Most of the things I have jotted down have been from my personal experience. I am lucky to have survived many scary situations.

After all, with freedom (which a car provides), comes responsibility.

I had an old tata indica v2. It was a lemon. What started out as a simple A/C 'not functioning' problem ended with engine failure, gearbox issues and electrical issues more than I care to remember. Tata engineers had given up on the vehicle. Tata vehicles were selling well (back in those days), and hence Tata couldn't care less about me.
Fortunately-unfortunately, the Indian 'jugaad' solutions helped me run this car for 90k kms before I got fed up (thankfully, resale was good and I did recover some money I had put into this car). I still marvel at my stupidity of keeping this car for so long. But, I did learn a lot from this vehicle. I am listing down some of the most important things that you shouldn't ignore in your vehicle. It doesn't matter whether you are an enthusiast or not. You simply shouldn't ignore these crucial things.

I like to think of cars not as machines, but rather a collection of various individual machines that all work together. But those components break down and we have to fix them, and some are more serious than others.

It's not the end of the world if you go a little longer than you should on oil changes from time to time. But there are some parts on your car you should never ignore, lest they put your safety at risk.

Ignore these, and you'll risk not only your hard earned money but also your life:

1) Tyres

tyre bald.jpg tyre blowout.jpg tyre bubble.jpg

Pic source: Ford Kuga Owners Club - Ford Kuga Forums, News, Advice and Chat
BIMMERPOST | BMW Forum, BMW News and BMW Blog
boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

I cannot even begin to emphasize on this point. The most important of all the listed points. Today, tyres are designed to take a lot of abuse but ignore them, and you are inviting Lord Yamraj.
These are your only contact on the roads. Keep a regular check. Inspect the tread, the alignment and rubber on the tyre.

2) Brakes

brakes.jpg
Pic source: reddit: the front page of the internet

While you can save some money by using handbrakes for low speed braking, and engine braking; using these techniques you will not face a problem at city speeds. But what will happen when you see a pram rolling out in front of you? Never ignore your brake cylinders and brake lines. And for god's sake, please keep a thorough check on your brake pads and rotors!

3) Ball joints

ball joint.jpg ball joint broken.jpg

Pic source: Illustrated Guide for Car Buyers and Owners | Samarins.com
Redirecting to new FAQ page

Ball joints are your pivot between your steering and suspension. A bad strut / linkage will not endanger your life, but a bad ball joint..well inform your wife to prepare a sumptuous feast for Lord Yamraj.
The ball joint design in most cars resembles the ball and socket type joint found in the hip joint of humans. I'll leave it to your imagination what will happen when your hip joint will fail..

4) Timing belt

timing belt.jpg timing belt engine.jpg

Pic source:Auto Repair Shop | Maintenance | Rebuild | Service | Plainfield IL
Car Questions Answered for Free by Professional Mechanics, Repair Information and Manuals - 2CarPros

I speak this from personal experience. The indica in question one fine day decided to break down in the middle of nowhere. I thought it must have been the electrical theatrics the car loves to show me. My oh my..I ended up spending big $ on complete engine overhaul. Destroyed valves / pistons = death of engine.
Timing belt / chain / camshaft belt is a part of an internal combustion engine that synchronizes the rotation of the crankshaft and the camshaft(s) so that the engine's valves open and close at the proper times during each cylinder's intake and exhaust strokes.
This is one component which is usually recommended to be replaced at long intervals, and is blissfully ignored by most owners (either due to lack of awareness or due to pure laziness). The regular A.S.S. are also very unenthusiastic in performing this critical preventive maintenance because:
1. In many cars, its a very cumbersome and sometimes labour intensive job.
2. By not replacing this part, the likelihood of engine failure shoots up, and they can earn more money from engine overhauls.

5) Fluid levels

fluid level.png

Pic source: Randy's Tire and Auto Center

It's one of the simplest things you can do. Just keep a regular check on the brake fluid, coolant, engine oil fluid levels. For your own convenience all manufacturers label the min. and max. levels on the containers. I mean, it takes less than a minute to just pop up the hood and check up the levels.
If the engine oil is less, you kill the engine.
If the brake fluid level is less, you kill the others in your car
If the levels are falling, then your engine / system has a leak somewhere.

Replace and top up as advised by the manual.

6) Fuel lines

fuel_lines2.jpg

Pic source: Welcome! | NeonSquirt - Home of the UnaClocker

Although not much of an issue in today's modern gen cars, I will still advise you to inspect these by a local mechanic at regular intervals. The phobia is mainly due to some earlier generation cars whose design flaws made them more susceptible to these lines becoming leaky and well..car catching fire!
Another reason for a regular inspection: most fuel lines are made of rubber, and rubber being rubber will have problems over time.

7) Lights

lights.jpg

Pic source: Queeky - draw online!

Just keep a check whether all your lights are functioning or not. I have once had a near miss when I misjudged a single headlight for a motor-cycle; it turned out to be a car! That one bulb on the brake lamp not working? Replace it! It will cost you less than 50 bucks and save not only your life but also the life of people following you.

8) Visibility

driver-visibility-blind-spots.jpg

Pic source: Car illustration cutaways and ghosted automotive art

In this section, everything you need to look out of the vehicle is included. Wipers, windshield, ORVM's, rear view mirrors. Replace your wipers at regular intervals, keep your windshield free from scratches and make sure you keep those ORVM's clean. Clean your windows if you cannot see through them.

9) Rust

rust.jpg

Pic source: powersmashrepairs.com.au

This is a silent killer. You won't even know when it will become a big issue. Today's cars come with rust protection from factory for an average of 7 years. Some of the cars (especially earlier mahindra's and tata's) faced this issue. The thing is, even if your drivetrain components are rock solid reliable, they'll be useless if they just fall through. Another problem with rust is, if and when you meet with an accident, your body panels are much weaker and there is possibility that you may have to absorb more of the impact directly.
If you see even a hint of rust on your car, have it attended to in priority.

10) Steering

rack_steering_suspension.jpg

Pic source: Car Questions Answered for Free by Professional Mechanics, Repair Information and Manuals - 2CarPros

My knowledge is limited to rack and pinion design only. Quoting from wiki directly:steering wheel turns the pinion gear; the pinion moves the rack, which is a linear gear that meshes with the pinion, converting circular motion into linear motion along the transverse axis of the car (side to side motion). This motion applies steering torque to the swivel pin ball joints that replaced previously used kingpins of the stub axle of the steered wheels via tie rods and a short lever arm called the steering arm.
Of course, every part should be visually inspected, but give a special preference to tie rod ends.

These are the things that I can think of which are downright dangerous to ignore. Please add any other points which you think that can be downright dangerous if ignored.
Please don't add things like battery check, struts check etc. These things, although not good, will not cause a dangerous situation.

References:
1. Ball joint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_belt_(camshaft)
3. Steering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks,
Simple_car

Thanks to TATA indica V2, which gives the owner a complete awareness of maintenance of a car by the simple crime that the owner had done of owning it.

Last edited:
A nice post Simple_car. Last wednesday i took the delivery of my Ecosport and this is my first diesel car. Many times i heard about timing belt problem in diesel engine. Do i have to take extra care for diesel engine timing belt compared to petrol engine? can you please explain ?

thanks in advance

The best thing for any owner is to pay attention to the car.Listen and look at the car.

Read your owners manual and do all the maintenance work as specified in the manual.People who do not do these things are the ones who pay more.

One thing that is missed in the list is the Axle bellows(boot) if they are torn, they can allow mud and other particles into CV joints causing them to wear and break off.This is just as bad as a broken ball joint.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
A nice post Simple_car. Last wednesday i took the delivery of my Ecosport and this is my first diesel car. Many times i heard about timing belt problem in diesel engine. Do i have to take extra care for diesel engine timing belt compared to petrol engine? can you please explain ?

thanks in advance
Just inspect it every 20k kms or when you inspect your fluids..
Timing belts are very reliable components in general. They are not prone to breakage. Only thing you should keep in mind is to replace it as advised by the manual. A.S.S. are extremely lazy to do this job.
IIRC, ford diesels usually get their belts replaced at 120k kms..am I right?

Thanks,
Simple_car

Just inspect it every 20k kms or when you inspect your fluids..
Timing belts are very reliable components in general. They are not prone to breakage. Only thing you should keep in mind is to replace it as advised by the manual. A.S.S. are extremely lazy to do this job.
IIRC, ford diesels usually get their belts replaced at 120k kms..am I right?

Thanks,
Simple_car
thank you for the reply. I will inspect the timing belt regularly. regarding timimg belt getting replaced at 120k kms, i am not sure. I din't check in the manual. Will check tomorrow.

@D.J.D:Congratulations on the new car.Please start an ownership thread.

The owners manual has all the details about the inspection and change intervals.Just remember to follow it.

A good idea to follow for new car owners is to change the engine oil+filter and gear oil after the initial break in/run in period.The exact number of kms that constitutes the break in/run in is given in the user manual.If not, change the engine oil+filter and gear oil after the first 1000-2000kms.

@D.J.D:Congratulations on the new car.Please start an ownership thread.

The owners manual has all the details about the inspection and change intervals.Just remember to follow it.
Thank you. Already started my ownership thread. Please check the below link

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...home-moondust-silver-ecosport-1-5d-trend.html

For ecosport first service is at 2500 kms. As you said i will opt for changing the engine oil and filter during the first service. Ecosport break in period is not clearly written in the manual. Manual says do not accelerate the car rapidly and do not use hard braking for the first 500 kms. Then do not drive the car too fast during initial 1600 kms. And finally it says engine break in period is 5k kms.

Engine oil+filter and gear oil change at 2500 kms should be fine.Just remember to follow it.Some cars do need upto 5000kms to break in properly.

Keep an eye on oil consumption too.Make sure it is as specified in your user manual and not more.

I think we are going off topic so lets end the discussion here.

Last edited:
Engine oil+filter and gear oil change at 2500 kms should be fine.Just remember to follow it.Some cars do need upto 5000kms to break in properly.

Keep an eye on oil consumption too.Make sure it is as specified in your user manual and not more.

I think we are going off topic so lets end the discussion here.
thank you. i will follow the instructions as per the manual. yes we are going off topic [:D] discussion closed [:)]

thank you for the reply. I will inspect the timing belt regularly. regarding timimg belt getting replaced at 120k kms, i am not sure. I din't check in the manual. Will check tomorrow.
No need to inspect the timing belt regularly , a warning light will glow to warn you of the timing belt.
The timing belt is not exposed as the fan belt so that it can be inspected regularly.
congrats for your new ecosport.

No need to inspect the timing belt regularly , a warning light will glow to warn you of the timing belt.
The timing belt is not exposed as the fan belt so that it can be inspected regularly.
congrats for your new ecosport.
Thank you buddy for the clarification. I was also thinking how to check the timing belt. Anyway today checked the manual. Ecosport diesel timing belt needs to be replaced at 120k kms.
Thank you for wishes

Before every drive, especially long ones a thorough inspection of the car needs to be conducted.

So many accidents happen on the national highway due to tire burst etc, which can be avoided.

Also avoid using Chinese tires, especially no name brands.

Maintenance work needs to be done according to the manual.This applies to both new and used cars.Its not a good thing to postpone it till its too late.

Good thread there Simple_car. Simple things BUT often the most ignored ones. A couple of months or so ago while I was idling our family Maruti 800, on a whim I just decided to open the bonnet to have a look and to my horror found that the fuel line that goes to the carb was spraying petrol all over the cylinder head[surprise]!! Reminded me of the 'raindrops keep fallin' on my head' number from Butch Cassidy. It was just plain luck that prevented a big accident that day. Interchanged the crankcase breather pipe and the fuel pipe and the 800 was good to go.

Hope to see more contributions from members here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom