CNG Kit For Maruti Zen 2000 Model

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am from Pune. I own a Zen LX May 2000 model.
I wish to get it fitted with a cng kit and hence need info about the same.

1) First of all can a cng kit be fitted to this model (I guess it's carburetor based engine)?
2) If yes which one would be best (I heard lovato is the best brand)?
3) Open loop or Closed loop?
4) A good trusted dealer in pune and how much would it cost?

Other than all this any additional info would really be appreciated, as I am very novice with all this car technicalities....

Regards.

Re: Cng kit for Zen LX May 2000 model

Hello Zenith Even I own a Zen 2005 vxi mpfi model and have fitted cng kit to the vehicle. On basis of my experience I would like to answer the your questions

Hello everyone,

I am from Pune. I own a Zen LX May 2000 model.
I wish to get it fitted with a cng kit and hence need info about the same.

1) First of all can a cng kit be fitted to this model (I guess it's carburetor based engine)?
Yes Its a better engine than MPFI in terms of power and there would be any problem in fitting. As I have seen Zen 2000 models on CNG filling stations so I am sure that is possible.
2) If yes which one would be best (I heard lovato is the best brand)?
Go for Lovato Even I have the same and no problems at all.
3) Open loop or Closed loop?
Not sure on this.
4) A good trusted dealer in pune and how much would it cost?
I would suggest go for a 14 kgs tank and the cost should be around 30K including RTO.
If you are from Pune

Akash Sales
Shop No 13 & 14 Ruturang Housing Society,
Opp City Light Bakery Near Hotel Lokesh, Pune Satara Road,
Sahakar Nagar-parvati Darshan, Pune - 411009
Call: (020) 67281472

If you are from Pimpri Chichwad

Maitreya Sales, MIDC Bhosari.
Other than all this any additional info would really be appreciated, as I am very novice with all this car technicalities....
1) If you have insurance you need to upgrade your policy with the CNG modifications go for it as soon as you are done with installation.
2) The weight of the Gas tank is around 90 to 100kgs so the suspensions of the back get extra load and the height between the tyre and mud flap reduces
If possible get a rubber bushes fitted before the cng installation. I also did the same but after the cng was installed but its better to get it fitted first and then the cng kit.

Thread Starter #4

Thanks a lot for your response, konkantrip.

I got a quotation from Alika Auto Fuel Pvt Ltd. somewhere in Maharshi Nagar.

It is a Lovato Kit for 26k inclusive of all prices, RTO and everything but it is mentioned as Open Loop.

My only concern now is to go with the open loop or closed loop thing.

Need an opinion on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

T

Need an opinion on this.
Open loop cost wise is cheaper and also need a very less maintenance as its a manual operation where as a closed loop is based on timings and auto switch may need a timely check ups . I would suggest you to go for open loop as In pune city the road conditions wouldnt allow you to drive at higher speeds. Most of the times you will drive on CNG and at very rear times you may need to switch your vehicle on petrol this can be easily done manually. I have a open loop fitted and really haven't found any problem in past one year.

I would like to suggest you one thing every day please try drive your vehicle on petrol for the first 2 kms as this will help you alot in the long run.

Open-loop and Closed Loop sequential systems
Another thing to consider while choosing a CNG kit is whether you want an open-loop system or a closed-loop system. What this means is whether your CNG kit takes feedback from the oxygen sensor placed in the exhaust system and transfers that back to the ECU or not. There are advantages and disadvantages to both these systems.

Closed-loop system
A closed loop system is one where the O2 sensor or lambda sensor in the exhaust gives feedback to the ECU controlling the CNG gas flow, and tells it whether exhaust emissions are within permissible limits or not. The ECU then regulates the gas flow accordingly to prevent too much pollution.

Advantage
The advantage of a closed-loop system is that you get precise emission control and will be doing the environment a favor. You also get slightly better fuel efficiency because it keeps the gas injection at an optimum point.

Disadvantage
However, not everyone is happy with a closed-loop system, especially if one is used to superior performance while driving on petrol. The reason is there is a marked drop in performance as the CNG ECU tries to inject only the optimum amount of gas to prevent excessive exhaust emissions. This means that you may not get the kind of acceleration you want, when you need it.

Open-loop system
An open-loop system is one where there is no feedback taken from the O2 or lambda sensor in the exhaust, allowing the car to accelerate and inject more gas at will, without the lambda sensor acting as a nanny.

Advantage

On older cars where there was no oxygen sensor in the exhaust system it results in cost saving, as one does not need to buy an O2 sensor (that costs about Rs. 4000). On newer cars, having a lambda system, installers often do not connect the sensor to the ECU, leaving it taped up, therefore remaining an open-loop system. Because it’s left this way, there is no restriction on the amount of CNG that can be injected into the engine at any given temperature, allowing for better performance and pick up.

Disadvantage
However, an open-loop system has its inherent disadvantages. One is the higher exhaust gas emissions that occur as there’s nothing to monitor emissions in the system. And two, a more significant concern is the heat build up in the engine. Open-loop systems tend to run a lot hotter because of no monitoring of exhaust gases and this can damage exhaust valves of the engine.

Ideally, one should always choose a closed-loop system, even if it means a slight compromise in performance, as its better for the environment and for the engine.

Source: Sequential and Venturi CNG kit types, open loop and close loop CNG kits | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Fyi : GENERAL ADVICE ON CNG KITS Reviews, Car, SUVs, Car Dealers, Brand, Stores, India

Also for Zen this is must http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/technical-zone/5190-stepper-installation-zen.html

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for all the information surfer and konkantrip. I have started to understand a little now.. [:)]

There's still a small confusion for me.

I had called Akash Sales and he asked me if the car has a carburetor. I am not sure about this but i strongly feel that it has a carburetor.

He said if it is a carburetor one then it can only be fitted with open loop cng kit and not a closed loop one.

Alika Fuel quotation for Lovato open loop kit states the foll components will be used

1 Pressure Regulator

2 High Pressure Pipe

3 Refueling Valve

4 Changeover Switch

5 Pressure Gauge

6 Cylinder Valve

7 Gas Storage Cylinder

After reading a number of posts, I have learned that MPFI Emmulator is a standard component of any system which I see missing from the list.

Please throw light on the above points.

I had called Akash Sales and he asked me if the car has a carburetor.......I am not sure about this............but i strongly feel that it has a carburetor.
Yes its a carburetor.
After reading a number of posts, I have learned that MPFI Emmulator is a standard component of any system which I see missing from the list......

Please throw light on the above points...........
MPFI Emmulator : This works as an interfacing unit mainly used to disconnect the current supply to the petrol injectors while vehicle run on gas. This is used for MPFI vehicles.

Since your Zen is a carburetor one and not an MPFI one it is not required in your case.

Thread Starter #9
Thank you konkantrip and surfer for your valuable information, finally I have got CNG kit fitted.....[:D]

A few details about the same.

Got a Lovato kit (12kg cylinder) fitted from Alika fuel located at Mharshi Nagar Pune, since it had the best ratings on justdial and also rate less as compared to others.

Got the kit for 26k (you should be good at bargaining) which is inclusive of everything i.e the RTO passing and all.

Since my zen is very old and one with carburetor (confirmed now) it had to be fitted with a open loop system. Though I got the MPFI emulator as a part of the kit but the mechanic said it cannot be fitted since it is not MPFI vehicle.

Secondly the timing advancer/power booster is not a part of standard kit and has to be purchased separately. But the good thing is that being a carb vehicle the performance has hardly been affected, so don't need the timing advancer.

Haven't driven the car much since I fitted the kit, but I surely think it is going to be huge saving for me.......[glasses]

Since my zen is very old and one with carburetor (confirmed now) it had to be fitted with a open loop system. Though I got the MPFI emulator as a part of the kit but the mechanic said it cannot be fitted since it is not MPFI vehicle.

Secondly the timing advancer/power booster is not a part of standard kit and has to be purchased separately. But the good thing is that being a carb vehicle the performance has hardly been affected, so don't need the timing advancer.
Emulator and timing advancer can only be fit on MPFI cars.
On carburetor cars, these cannot be fit at all.

Thread Starter #12
@Abhijit,
The car is working just fine. there is a noticeable difference in power output.

its good for city rides, climbing even normal steep has to be done in 1st gear. :)

However its very economical now. does ~20km in 1 kg of cng in city. highways it goes above 25 km.

Hi zenith, any engine problems ?
I am using CNG for 9 months now, power is 35% less than petrol. How is your engine doing ? I am using Fully synthetic Shell helix ultra 5W40 in the engine.

Thread Starter #14
Hi zenith, any engine problems ?
I am using CNG for 9 months now, power is 35% less than petrol. How is your engine doing ? I am using Fully synthetic Shell helix ultra 5W40 in the engine.
Hi Abhijit,

Same is the case with me, power has dropped considerably, Engine oil am not sure which one was used by the mechanic.
Even with one person I have to go on first gear while climbing a normal steep road.

Top Bottom